Plexiglas cement??

Old November 5th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Larry

Default Plexiglas cement??

I am planning a "touchy" repair job to my canopy. I've done some test
sheet acrylic bondings with acrylic IPS Weld-On (#16). I don't like
the ugly bubbles and noticed some fine plexiglas stress cracking on
one test piece. Is there another sort of cement (eg. Weld-On #40)
which would make for a better looking bond between 2 sheets of .080 in
plexiglas? Thanks.

Larry

Old November 5th 07, 10:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 21:09:01 -0800, Larry wrote:

I am planning a "touchy" repair job to my canopy. I've done some test
sheet acrylic bondings with acrylic IPS Weld-On (#16). I don't like
the ugly bubbles and noticed some fine plexiglas stress cracking on
one test piece. Is there another sort of cement (eg. Weld-On #40)
which would make for a better looking bond between 2 sheets of .080 in
plexiglas? Thanks.

Larry

isnt chloroform a thin solvent suited to wicking into plexiglas
cracks?

Stealth Pilot
Old November 5th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Larry

On Nov 5, 2:37?am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 21:09:01 -0800, Larry wrote:
I am planning a "touchy" repair job to my canopy. I've done some test
sheet acrylic bondings with acrylic IPS Weld-On (#16). I don't like
the ugly bubbles and noticed some fine plexiglas stress cracking on
one test piece. Is there another sort of cement (eg. Weld-On #40)
which would make for a better looking bond between 2 sheets of .080 in
plexiglas? Thanks.

Larry

isnt chloroform a thin solvent suited to wicking into plexiglas
cracks?

Stealth Pilot

Stealth: Yes it is but my repair patch is not a perfect match due to
curved surface so some air pockets would prevent complete wicking. I
thought maybe a thicker solvent could possibly work better. It is not
a structural requirement. Thanks

Larry

Old November 5th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Craig[_2_]

On Nov 5, 7:37 am, Larry wrote:
On Nov 5, 2:37?am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

[...]

Acrifix 192 is a good material for this. It is fairly viscous and can
be worked just like the plexi when it's cured. It is UV cured.

Most of the sailplane online stores will carry it (Knauff & Grove,
Wings & Wheels, Cumulus, etc.)

Craig

#16 is just the water thin #3 with acrylic dust pre-dissolved in it to
make it thick, it's still the same action, I.E. softening the existing
acrylic, then evaporating away.

If you have gaps in particular, #40 is the shizz you want. It
actually is syntesizing new, full strength acrylic, and not just
softening up your substrate. Years ago, I built a planing boat towing
tank model out of acrylic sheet, and #40 worked far better than the
Methyl Chloride solvent cements, gaps and all. Once cured, it works
just like the base material, and polishes up nice. It can be a little
different tint, it's not quite as gin-clear.

#16 is just the water thin #3 with acrylic dust pre-dissolved in it to
make it thick, it's still the same action, I.E. softening the existing
acrylic, then evaporating away.

If you have gaps in particular, #40 is the shizz you want. It
actually is syntesizing new, full strength acrylic, and not just
softening up your substrate. Years ago, I built a planing boat towing
tank model out of acrylic sheet, and #40 worked far better than the
Methyl Chloride solvent cements, gaps and all. Once cured, it works
just like the base material, and polishes up nice. It can be a little
different tint, it's not quite as gin-clear.

Hello Above: Was talking with Ridout plastic techs yesterday. They
warned me about possible stress fracture when cementing plexiglas that
is not "cast cured". In other words plexiglas that is "extruded" has
stress in it and many solvents will cause hair line stress fractures
when applied. This makes me nervous about bonding a 7 inch plexiglass
ring to my canopy. .083 in thickness. Any ideas about cast vs.
extruded and potential problems?

Thanks

Larry

Old November 9th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 22:16:40 GMT, David Kazdan wrote:

Chloroform would probably work, but I think you mean methylene chloride.

David

no.
anaesthetic chloroform although it probably hasnt been used as an
aesthetic in years.
applied by dipping a fine point artist brush in the stuff and then
touched to the closed up crack, it wicks in , does its stuff and then
evaporates.

Old November 9th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Wonder how silicone would do? They use it to make home aquariums. I
use it for holding lots of things - small sheet metal covers for wing
bolt holes, txpdr antenna metal base to my composite plane.......
Holds great. And it flexes slightly to help with differential heat
expansion (your cracking problem?). Just let it cure overnight.

Old November 9th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

On Nov 4, 11:09 pm, Larry wrote:
I am planning a "touchy" repair job to my canopy. I've done some test
sheet acrylic bondings with acrylic IPS Weld-On (#16). I don't like
the ugly bubbles and noticed some fine plexiglas stress cracking on
one test piece. Is there another sort of cement (eg. Weld-On #40)
which would make for a better looking bond between 2 sheets of .080 in
plexiglas? Thanks.

Larry

wrote in message
ups.com...
Wonder how silicone would do? They use it to make home aquariums. I
use it for holding lots of things - small sheet metal covers for wing
bolt holes, txpdr antenna metal base to my composite plane.......
Holds great. And it flexes slightly to help with differential heat
expansion (your cracking problem?). Just let it cure overnight.

There is a very clear Silicone-like product which I used to install my
windshield. It is packaged in a caulking-gun tube. Someone here must know
it's name. I'll bet it would work well in this application.

Rich S.