ASH-26E evaluation

Old September 21st 12, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gabriel Duford

Default ASH-26E evaluation

Hi,
I am considering an upgrade for my ASW-20 and would like to know more about the ASH-26E. I am interested in every aspect of the glider (comfort, maintenance, ease of operation, etc) and mainly about performance as a glider.
I have some time on the ASW-27. From my research, it seems that the performance would be similar to the ASW-27 in climb and cruise

What about your experience? How does the ASH-26E compare to the ASW-27 in climb, cruise, control harmony, etc?

Any experience flying with an ASG-29/Ventus 2c(x)/DG-800 in the same conditions? How did the ASH-26E do in comparison?

Being an older design, I expect it to have less performance than the newer designs, but by how much? Would it really be a pilot thing in a competition?

I fly in the East (Quebec) where conditions are pretty weak (a 4kts average day is a really good day, usually 1.5kts to 2kts) and I am starting at regional/national competition.

Thanks,

gabriel
Old September 21st 12, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 9/20/2012 6:49 PM, Gabriel Duford wrote:
[...]

There is active ASH 26 E owners group, now also serving the ASH 31 Mi
(the replacement for the ASH 26 E model) and other Wankel powered
Schleicher gliders. You can join the group here, then ask questions and
search the archives:

http://groups.google.com/group/ASH-26E

You should also join this group, a general group for self-launching
sailplanes:

http://motorgliders.org

Here are some short answers - be sure to explore these on the 26E group,
where other owners can give you replies based on their experience.

ASW-27, ASW 20 vs ASH 26 E: My experience when flying with ASW 27s is
the two gliders are very similar in performance. I haven't flown an ASW
27, but I had an ASW 20 B before the ASH 26 E, and they handled almost
identically, though the ASH 26 E was slightly slower in roll. Comfort
was the same or better. It glides noticeably better than the ASW 20,
however.

ASG-29 vs ASH 26 E: the 29 is clearly better in climb and glide than the
ASH 26 E, as you would expect from a newer design with significantly
higher aspect ratio.

DG-800/Ventus 2CM vs ASH 26 E: the gliders seem identical in
performance, based on flying with many of them over the years. I'm not
familiar with the latest versions of the Ventus 2, but I think comparing
the OLC or other handicap systems would give you a good idea.

Flying a self-launcher in competition in weak conditions will probably
put you at a disadvantage to same/similar unpowered gliders, as the
motor means you are, effectively, flying with a half load of ballast
that you can not drop. Even so, my experience is you are no worse off
than most unballasted 15 meter gliders. An ASG 29 will have a definite
advantage in weak conditions, of course.

In stronger conditions, the weight of the motor is not a handicap.

The advantage goes to the self-launchers (and sustainers) on the days
you don't fly competitions, because you will be willing to fly on those
weak days, and fly cross-country, when most other pilots will sit on the
ground or stay close to the airport, because they don't want to risk a
retrieve.

email me)
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old September 21st 12, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:49:18 PM UTC-7, Gabriel Duford wrote:
[...]

I have found the performance of my 26E to be comparable to DG 800 or Ventus 2C at the same wing loading. Maybe slightly better than a ASW27 (at the same wing loading). This is based on numerous 40 - 60 mile side-by-side glides with those three types. I have had no glides with a 29 or 31.

For light conditions you will have a higher wing loading than the lighter non-engined gliders. However if you remove the engine from the ASH26E (easily done and still with proper CG balance) it will out climb almost anything. I flew once that way and climbed right up past some modern 15 meter ships, circling inside them at around 38 knots.

The cockpit is quite comfortable, especially for a tall person. I can't get the canopy closed on a 27. The fuselage on a 26 is about 4" longer in the cockpit.