Diamonds clarification help please

Old February 28th 05, 05:20 PM

Default Diamonds clarification help please

I need to find out if there is a publication which would explain in
detail requirements for diamonds. I understand, after reading some of
my books that you need altitude, goal and distance.
O'K altitude is not a problem but...what do I use to prove my altitude?
Do I need a barograph or can the Volkslogger data be used for that
purpose?
Goal...I fly out and return flight totaling of 186 miles (300 km) or a
triangle equal to 186 miles (300 km). Is this correct?
Now the main issue..my distance...do I have to fly out for 310 miles
(500 km) land somewhere or can I fly out and return flight with combine
distance of 310 miles (500 km)? Can anyone explain to me this issue?
Thanks for your help.

Old March 1st 05, 10:23 AM
Mal.com

http://www.fai.org/

Old March 1st 05, 10:27 AM
Mal.com

a.. Diamonds. There are three diamonds:
a.. Diamond free distance: 500km free distance
b.. Diamond goal distance: 300km to a goal
c.. Diamond height: 5,000m gain of height.
http://www.fai.org/gliding/badges/

I have #6935 in the register the height is the hard one.

Mal

Old March 1st 05, 11:29 AM
Andrew Warbrick

At 10:30 01 March 2005, Mal.Com wrote:
a.. Diamonds. There are three diamonds:
a.. Diamond free distance: 500km free distance
b.. Diamond goal distance: 300km to a goal
c.. Diamond height: 5,000m gain of height.
http://www.fai.org/gliding/badges/

I have #6935 in the register the height is the hard
one.

Mal

Which is the hard one depends where you live, in Australia
maybe the height is the hard one, in Scotland the height
can sometimes be so easy that a pilot could get diamond
height before silver distance, the 500k is the more
difficult one.

Old March 1st 05, 12:08 PM
Stefan

Andrew Warbrick wrote:

Which is the hard one depends where you live,

It should always be remembered which gliders were in use when those
badges were defined. With today's material those badges are not exactly
a joke, but have lost a lot of their magic.

Stefan
Old March 1st 05, 01:37 PM
Stewart Kissel

Thus...the 1,000K Diploma, which even the most hard-boiled
would consider quite an achievement in any ship. And
one can always do it flying an FAI triangle for the
extra challenge.

Old March 1st 05, 01:49 PM
Chris Rollings

That's why they invented FAI 1000, 2000 and 3000 Km
Diplomas and why a lot of countries introduced their
own 750 km diplomas.

My observation (mainly in the UK) is that the ratio
of failures to sucesses on first 50 and 300 km flight
attempts has not changed all that much in the last
30 years, but the sucessful ones get round quite a
bit faster than they used to.

Apart from the SSA's 'lennies' no one seems to have
come up with a benchmark above Diamond Altitude Gain.
Just out of curiosity, how many pilots have doubled
ALL the requirements for a Diamond Badge?