Fiberglass cloth weight vs 'finished' weight

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 18th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

Default Fiberglass cloth weight vs 'finished' weight

I was perusing the composite matierals in the Aircraft Spruce
catalog pages and noted that the fiberglass (and other ) cloths
are characterized by a unit weight, like 5.8 oz/square yard.
My naive assumption is that the cloth as purchased would,
on average, weigh 5.8 oz /square yd.

But some of the descriptions include a 'finished weight' which
is slightly different from the 'other' (nominal?) weight.

The weight of the final product after being impregnated with
resin and cured will vary with material and technique, but if
I assume an average specific gravity of about two for epoxy
fiberglass and use the nominal thickness of the cloth I compute
a weight of the resultant fiberglass sheet that is about twice
the 'finished weight'. So I'm assuming that 'finished' weight
does not refer to weight of a one square yard sheet of fiberglass
made from that cloth with epoxy or polyester resin.

So, can anyone enlighten me on what they do mean?

By 'finished' weight do they mean the actual average weight
as opposed to a nominal (rounded) value used to characterize
the cloth?

--

FF

Max weight of K21 t-tree Soaring 1 February 3rd 07 10:25 AM
Weight of Ice gwengler Instrument Flight Rules 13 November 29th 06 04:19 AM
Glider Weight/Wing Loading and determing speed for best L/D for a given weight 65E Soaring 3 January 26th 06 09:26 PM
Weight LJ & Nancy Blodgett Home Built 23 September 27th 04 06:19 AM
Empty/Gross weight Vs. Max. Pilot weight Flyhighdave Soaring 13 January 14th 04 04:20 AM