You know you are addicted to soaring when....

Old May 2nd 12, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Berry[_2_]

Default You know you are addicted to soaring when....

In article
20240538.1898.1335965924244.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbep19,
Tony wrote:

http://www.daretomove.com/flight-level-460.html

Probably referring to the divebrakes open AND the shadows indicating
light coming from beneath the glider. However, Bickle said he was
freezing at that point and couldn't hang around up there to enjoy the
view. As for the shadows, late in the day, the sun would be low enough
to cast those shadows.

Hmm, was that flight done very early in the morning? If so, then the
shadows are coming from the wrong direction.
Old May 2nd 12, 07:17 PM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Ha Ha Ha, Obvious... Any other old (hint) sextant navigator jockeys out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobW View Post
Check out the following link...what's wrong with this picture?!?

http://www.daretomove.com/flight-level-460.html

I've been troubled ever since first seeing this painting in "Soaring" mag 'way
back when.' Even went so far as to ask a number of fellow soaring pilots
"What's wrong with this picture?" at a glider club having the (otherwise very
nice) painting hanging on the wall. No one ever knew.

Any help from RAS?

Please, I either need help...company...or a darker closet...
Old May 2nd 12, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FreeFlight107

On Wednesday, May 2, 2012 11:17:55 AM UTC-7, POPS wrote:
Ha Ha Ha, Obvious... Any other old (hint) sextant navigator jockeys
out there?

I used a sextant for sailboat navigation in the '70s but mostly noon sights, I'm going with the moon is in the south and illuminated from the wrong side in relation to the Sun. What time of day did Bickle do the flight? He must have done it early in the AM as he flys into a low sun, he would have told the artist this. then the artist illuminated the Moon on the wrong side.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lu...se-Diagram.png
for Moon phases in relation to Sun direction.

OK Pops, your turn!

FF
Old May 2nd 12, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FreeFlight107

OK, did some more reasearch, sratch the above.

According to the FAI site, Paul Bikle flew a 1-23E and according to the caption of the painting it was in the afternoon.

As he was going West with the spoilers out, the Moon is all wrong, and shouldn't even be in the picture.

But Bickle may have taken a picture of the Moon while headed West and shown it to the artist who put it in forgetting Bickle was looking South when he shot it.

Do I get a Cigar?

FF
Old May 2nd 12, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:17:55 PM UTC-5, POPS wrote:
Ha Ha Ha, Obvious... Any other old (hint) sextant navigator jockeys
out there?

Is there any other kind of sextant navigator?
Old May 2nd 12, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FreeFlight107

On Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:38:20 PM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
On Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:17:55 PM UTC-5, POPS wrote:
Ha Ha Ha, Obvious... Any other old (hint) sextant navigator jockeys
out there?

Is there any other kind of sextant navigator?

Nope, Lot's of old ones on eBay, but not the books to reduce the observations.

Old May 3rd 12, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 5/2/2012 7:57 AM, Peter von Tresckow wrote:
The shadows on the wing indicate the sun being on the left side of the
picture. The right side of the moon is illuminated.

Pete

wrote in message
On Wednesday, May 2, 2012 8:30:55 AM UTC-5, BobW wrote:
Check out the following link...what's wrong with this picture?!?

http://www.daretomove.com/flight-level-460.html

I've been troubled ever since first seeing this painting in "Soaring" mag
'way
back when.' Even went so far as to ask a number of fellow soaring pilots
"What's wrong with this picture?" at a glider club having the (otherwise
very
nice) painting hanging on the wall. No one ever knew.

Any help from RAS?

Please, I either need help...company...or a darker closet...

Wrong phase of the moon?

Oh joy! There IS hope for at least one generation following mine!!!

Thanks to Pete's answer I now know I'm not the only one troubled by the fact
two suns are required for the illumination in the painting.

As for the other items commented upon...mere details - nay, nits! - when
considering the grander cosmological view...

Thanks, Pete. After 20+ years I'm all better now!

Bob W.
Old May 3rd 12, 07:17 AM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

That's a roger 10-4

Good to know that Mr BobW has finally been cured of that splinter in his mind from therapy online..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFlight107 View Post

Old May 3rd 12, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

POPS, there are a few of us still hanging around. I did a bit of celestial
navigation back in the day when I was a Bombardier/Navigator flying A-3B
Skywarriors. In fact I spent one tour as a celestial navigation instructor.

--
POPS

Old May 3rd 12, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Thursday, May 3, 2012 8:40:14 AM UTC-5, Wayne wrote:
POPS, there are a few of us still hanging around. I did a bit of celestial
navigation back in the day when I was a Bombardier/Navigator flying A-3B
Skywarriors. In fact I spent one tour as a celestial navigation instructor.

Celestial? Pah - too easy. Now Pressure - That's navigating!

(For you young pups - Pressure is navigation via altimeter...look it up.)

Kirk
T-29s at USAFA and T-43s at Mather...