Mxs wins.

Old October 24th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

Default Mxs wins.

If yo have a web page you should have a pop 3 account. You should be able to
access that from anywhere. The newsgroups are different.
news and newsgroups *through your own ISP*.

Our hotel DSL lines are provided by Qwest. Our ISP is Mediacom, a
cable-modem company (which we have at home). It would be an extra
charge each month for email and newsgroup access through Qwest at the
hotel

So use your Mediacom accounts instead. I can use my email and newsgroup
accounts provided by my ISP from whatever Internet connection I choose.
It need not be my home DSL connection. I doubt your situation is
different.

[...]
Google Groups actually isn't half bad, once you get used to it. It
doesn't offer the same level of filtering as Outlook (Express), but
I've only kill-filed one person in my 8+ years here, so that doesn't
bother me. And the search features can be quite valuable.

Hey, you're the one that called the "stupid Google Groups". Larry was
just trying to point out the error in your claim that you have no other
alternative.

If we're talking about Martin Hotze, I don't recall him offering me
free access to anything. I could be wrong, of course.

You are wrong. He did offer. Here's one post (there may be others):
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...dea2fc404af7aa

Web-based email takes a bit getting used to, but after a while it's
kind of nice having your email stored on a central server that is
accessible from anywhere, rather than downloading your email onto your
computer, ala Outlook (Express).

That's true. Most people who need access to email from multiple sources
use either web mail (as you do), or some other server-side solution (such
as Exchange), or they put their email message store on a USB drive so that
they can carry it with them from place to place. Any of those solutions
work fine.

If you are happy using web mail, then that's fine. The point is not that
we are trying to get you to switch. We are just trying to point out to
you that it's incorrect to claim that you don't have newsgroup or email
access from your hotel.

Pete

Old October 24th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

The Visitor wrote:
I would guess he is a 20 something student. What is amazing is he is
still so fascinated by flying sims.

I spent quite some time on the sim groups when I was first training,
setting up my own computer for pre-flying trips.

I was shocked to notice that many, if not most, of the simmers were
gentlemen in their 60s and way above. They felt as if they were too
old or poor or perhaps frightened to take up real flying, but would
spend hours (in real time) "flying" across the world. With the amazing
sim scenery these days, it's a great way to travel without leaving
home. Especially if you have a sick spouse who can't travel.

Kev

Old October 24th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Morgans" wrote in
:

Well, I'm going to take a break from this group for a while. The signal
to noise level is so high, and the volume of junk so large, it takes too
much time and annoys me.

I'm tired of being called a netcop, among other things, and since all
of you
"weenies" that are enabling this troll by responding have pushed this
group into the dumpster, as far as I am concerned.

I'll check back from time to time, and when he goes, I'll return.

See you in the funny papers! g

Hi Jim,
I think you're being a bit too sensitive, simply because the guy admitted
that he's not a pilot. I never saw you reprimand any of the regulars on
this group for answering OT questions, or even for responding to flames and
trolls who were clearly just out trolling.

If there are pilots in the group that enjoy talking about his topics, it
would seem that the messages even meet the charter.

Personally, I stopped visiting the newsgroup for a while when I would log
on after a week and there would be no new posts except maybe an occassional
post about how there are no new posts... I like it better this way, I
think. Some of Manix's questions spark some interesting conversations. I
thought the thread about Rented vs. Owned was quite informative, and Jay
even admitted that it was sparked by a Manix post...

Sometimes even the trollers stir up some good fishin'...

For the record, I don't like being called a "weenie" any more than you
like being called a netcop. But it's just a newsgroup! You know, something
to do to pass the time when I can't otherwise be in an airplane.
Old October 24th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kev writes:

I was shocked to notice that many, if not most, of the simmers were
gentlemen in their 60s and way above. They felt as if they were too
old or poor or perhaps frightened to take up real flying, but would
spend hours (in real time) "flying" across the world.

What's so shocking about that? You need lots of money and time and
excellent health to fly. Anyone who cannot get a medical certificate,
or doesn't have many thousands of dollars of spare cash, or can't
afford many hours of spare time, may find solace in simulation.

With the amazing sim scenery these days, it's a great way to travel
without leaving home. Especially if you have a sick spouse who
can't travel.

I've discovered things about the region where I was born in the sim
that I never knew from real life. You can fly over places to which
you cannot easily drive, and flying around the region gives you a much
better feel for the layout of the land, so to speak. I had only a
vague idea of the relative positions of many well-known spots in my
own State and the surrounding area until I actually flew to them
(well, in the sim) and discovered exactly where they were.
Unfortunately, flying to them for real is out of the question now.
But, as you say, the scenery is pretty well simulated (for flying
purposes).

Old October 24th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Mxsmanic wrote:
Kev writes:

I was shocked to notice that many, if not most, of the simmers were
gentlemen in their 60s and way above. They felt as if they were too
old or poor or perhaps frightened to take up real flying, but would
spend hours (in real time) "flying" across the world.

What's so shocking about that? You need lots of money and time and
excellent health to fly. Anyone who cannot get a medical certificate,
or doesn't have many thousands of dollars of spare cash, or can't
afford many hours of spare time, may find solace in simulation.

I didn't say I was shocked in a bad way. Since I'm headed towards 60
myself, I have no problem with whatever people wish to do in their free
time. I was pointing out that there's probably far more older people
seriously simming, than everyone thinks.

Especially you'll notice that the people with very expensive sim setups
are usually older... they can afford it.

Kev

Old October 24th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tjd

Jay Honeck wrote:
Skipping a thread -- or marking it "read" -- takes a second. I'm
unable to do even that using these stupid Google Groups (which I'm
stuck using at the hotel), but I don't find it difficult to simply not
read dumb threads.

Even if you have the ability to filter, the problem in my book is he
doesn't stick to the inane threads he starts, which are easy enough to
ignore in any case. He also posts in legitmate threads and soon enough
they turn into a steaming pile of crap too. Except there may also be
some useful discussion still trying to go on, so you've got to either
wade through the crap or just give up altogether.

I don't have a problem with him simming or not wanting to fly in a real
plane - that's entirely up to him. If he were a student pilot behaving
the same way it would be just as bad. Obviously he's well aware by now
that there are plenty of books out there, as well as material on the
web, so if he were actually interested in learning anything he could
spend his time reading and then come back when he has some more
intelligent questions to ask. I don't understand how anyone can defend
his behaviour - it's classic trolling and should be met with the
equally classic "RTFM!"

todd.

Old October 24th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kev writes:

Especially you'll notice that the people with very expensive sim setups
are usually older... they can afford it.

One wonders if they could also afford real flight as well. But
perhaps they are medically unfit, or they simply don't want the hassle
of flying for real.

Old October 24th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

rps wrote:
on a terminal connected to a network of VAXes ("vixen") and IBM 3/60s.
I started using computers in 1979 when I first learned to program and
logged into BBS's using 110bps modems.

VAXen

Bonus points if you know the genealogy of the IBM 7090 name

Gold star if you know the genealogy of the CDC 3600 name

Old October 24th 06, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message
If yo have a web page you should have a pop 3 account. You should be able
to access that from anywhere. The newsgroups are different.

Huh?

There is absolutely ZERO connection between whether one has a web page,
whether one has an email (POP3) account, and whether one has a news server
account. You can have any combination of all three.

My point is that in Jay's case, he has both an email account and a news
server account, and the fact that they are hosted by someone other than his
DSL provider should not stop him from using those accounts through his DSL
connection.

Pete

Old October 24th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skylune

--
Jim in NC

Sorry for calling some of you weenies, but that's how I see it, at the moment.

Try I-pilot.com. I like it much better there. See if you can find
Skylune there. ;-)