Nellis on the Blocks (The upcoming 2005 Base Realignment And Closure)

Old July 20th 03, 01:39 AM
Richard Caldwell

Kevin Brooks wrote in message
. ..
(CFA3) wrote in message

. com...

SNIP ORIGINAL POST

Speaking of Nellis AFB and its surrounding area, I just read a post on
another NG that
states that the Red Flag exercises, which had previously been cancelled
because of
Iraq, have been re-scheduled for August 1 - 29. I have no way to confirm
that myself,
but I think it is relevant to any discussion about closing Nellis.

Richard Caldwell

Old July 20th 03, 02:01 AM
av8r

Hi

I was at Goose Bay for four years. The low level flying was never an
issue until some bleeding heart left wing liberal tree huggers took it
upon themselves to go on a crusade on behalf of the Innu. These
'misguided' individuals were nothing but a bunch of **** disturbers,
most of whom had never heard of Goose Bay before. The George River
Caribou herd (the largest herd in the world, estimated at more that
800,000 animals) is the largest it has been in many years. The
existence of the NATO low level flying training program is the economic
foundation of the region. Without it, the region would die an agonizing
death.

Cheers...Chris

Old July 20th 03, 04:28 AM
Andrew Chaplin

av8r wrote:

I was at Goose Bay for four years. The low level flying was never an
issue until some bleeding heart left wing liberal tree huggers took it
upon themselves to go on a crusade on behalf of the Innu. These
'misguided' individuals were nothing but a bunch of **** disturbers,
most of whom had never heard of Goose Bay before. The George River
Caribou herd (the largest herd in the world, estimated at more that
800,000 animals) is the largest it has been in many years. The
existence of the NATO low level flying training program is the economic
foundation of the region. Without it, the region would die an agonizing
death.

I'll be sure to inquire while I'm there next week.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old July 20th 03, 05:06 AM
Walt BJ

Between the noise-whiners and the real estate developers unless a base
is needed for vital defense reasons it's soon a goner. Look at the
earlier ones to get the axe. George AFB was in a great location -
chop! Hamilton - chop.
I wonder how long Luke will last. As for Goose Bay and Cold Lake -
madness! It's cold up there!
Walt BJ
Old July 20th 03, 05:22 AM
Dave Kearton

"av8r" wrote in message
| Hi
|
| I was at Goose Bay for four years. The low level flying was never an
| issue until some bleeding heart left wing liberal tree huggers took it
| upon themselves to go on a crusade on behalf of the Innu. These
| 'misguided' individuals were nothing but a bunch of **** disturbers,
| most of whom had never heard of Goose Bay before. The George River
| Caribou herd (the largest herd in the world, estimated at more that
| 800,000 animals) is the largest it has been in many years. The
| existence of the NATO low level flying training program is the economic
| foundation of the region. Without it, the region would die an agonizing
| death.
|
| Cheers...Chris

Surely the exercises would pose _some_ additional risk to the Caribou - the
taller ones at least.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old July 20th 03, 01:55 PM
S. Sampson

"Walt BJ" wrote

. As for Goose Bay and Cold Lake - madness! It's cold up there!

I went up to Cold Lake in the winter, and it was sort of like Iceland.
Not much snow on the ground, but your nose freezes and then you
hear this cracking sound in your head :-) I didn't think it was as bad
as Minot though. I think Minot was the only place I ever wore my
nomex long johns... The food on-base was pretty bad (I found a
button in my mashed potatoes), and downtown is completely unlike
Vegas :-) No threat of a Tailhook convention up there.

Old July 20th 03, 04:09 PM
av8r

Hi Andrew

While you are in Happy Valley visit Uncle Sam's Butcher Shop at 13
Hillcrest Road. He sells all sorts of caribou meat products, smoked
salmon and trout. I highly recommend it. Gawd I'm getting hungry just
thinking of it. Watch the holes on the Trans-Labrador Highway. They
might be confused with craters on the moon. Have a safe and wonderful
trip and I expect lots of stunning pix and good narratives to go with them.

Cheers...Chris

Old July 20th 03, 04:25 PM
av8r

Hi Walt

Why is it that these NIMBY's build a house under the flight path of an
airport and then they complain of the noise. What the hell did they
expect. How frigging stupid are they. Ah, don't answer that I know
already! There are lots of airports in danger of having air ops
severely restricted as a result of housing developers slowly encroaching
on them. I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for these idiots.

The Goose can still get pretty nippy in the winter. I was up there from
64 to 67 as an Air Force Brat, then again in 78 with the Air Force and
and been up four times on TDY since 92. It is not as cold as say 30 or
40 years ago when it used to get regular temperatures of 30 below zero.
It's a raw damp cold too. Back then the average annual snow fall was 14
feet. the big reservoir to the west as tempered the harsh WX somewhat.

When were you at on the Goose Walt?

Cheers...Chris

Old July 20th 03, 04:53 PM
Brian Colwell

"Walt BJ" wrote in message
om...
Between the noise-whiners and the real estate developers unless a base
is needed for vital defense reasons it's soon a goner. Look at the
earlier ones to get the axe. George AFB was in a great location -
chop! Hamilton - chop.
I wonder how long Luke will last. As for Goose Bay and Cold Lake -
madness! It's cold up there!
Walt BJ

Your right Walt, but its a dry cold :-))

BMC

Old July 20th 03, 05:22 PM
Brian

"Brian Colwell" wrote in message
. ca...

"Walt BJ" wrote in message
om...
Between the noise-whiners and the real estate developers unless a base
is needed for vital defense reasons it's soon a goner. Look at the
earlier ones to get the axe. George AFB was in a great location -
chop! Hamilton - chop.
I wonder how long Luke will last. As for Goose Bay and Cold Lake -
madness! It's cold up there!
Walt BJ

Your right Walt, but its a dry cold :-))

Reminds me of the question "Why do they call it Cold Lake?".....Cuz it's
COLD!