tail numbers and countries of registration

Old February 27th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default tail numbers and countries of registration

On Feb 24, 8:13*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
William Hung wrote in news:f4fc54a9-f63e-480c-86f5-
:

If a plane had a tail that was YV-3???. *What country is it registered
in? *Is there a site that shows which country gets what leading tail
characters, N=US, F=France, C=Canada...etc.

Wil

Found one

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/04fs/data/FSICAO.htm

Why does it say Mexico is in Central America?

-Robert
Old February 27th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in news:1642e551-7c7c-494a-bcb6-
:

On Feb 24, 8:13*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
William Hung wrote in news:f4fc54a9-f63e-480c-86f5-
:

If a plane had a tail that was YV-3???. *What country is it registered

in? *Is there a site that shows which country gets what leading tail
characters, N=US, F=France, C=Canada...etc.

Wil

Found one

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/04fs/data/FSICAO.htm

Why does it say Mexico is in Central America?

Why are you asking me? Maybe they;re trying to distance themselves or maybe
it was written by Shrub.

Bertie
Old February 27th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
xyzzy

On Feb 26, 4:40 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
xyzzy wrote :

On Feb 25, 2:33 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"akjcbkJA" wrote
:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message

41g2000hsc.googlegroups.com..

. On Feb 24, 8:13 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
William Hung wrote in
:

If a plane had a tail that was YV-3???. What country is it
registered in? Is there a site that shows which country gets
what leading tail characters, N=US, F=France, C=Canada...etc.

Wil

Found one

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/04fs/data/FSICAO.htm

A sim site!

Barf!

Anyhow, it's Venezuala.

Bertie

The other day I saw a new Citation Mustang parked at the airport.
The seats still had the plastic on them. The number was "OK", which
apparently is Czech Republic.
My home field in California doesn't have a "K" number. When I fly
direct to Canada I have to tell them I'm actually departing from a
different airport just to make their computer happy.

-Robert

One of the newest tail number prefixes is M which stands for the
Isle of Man Useful for personalised tail numbers like M-IKEY

Really? They got a divorce?
That had to be the quietest war of independence in history!

No, they're still together.

OK, but why the seperate reg?

Bertie

Looks like a continuation of one of IoM's key industries -- providing
tax shelters for wealthy people:

http://iomblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/...-registry.html

Geared toward private jets, fees promised to be lower than Europe,
more "user-friendly", etc.

Old February 27th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

On Feb 24, 9:02 pm, William Hung wrote:
If a plane had a tail that was YV-3???. What country is it registered
in? Is there a site that shows which country gets what leading tail
characters, N=US, F=France, C=Canada...etc.

Wil

Funny story to tell. I was on a long cross-country trip as an
instructor several years ago, from here in Canada down through MT, ID,
UT, and NV to AZ. I was in a 180, the others were in a 182 and a
couple of 172s. The American controllers, used to the "November one
two three Kilo" thing, had more than a little difficulty with our
Canadian call signs. The 180, as an example, was C-FIAC. Try that
phonetically.
As we transited Salt Lake to Provo, the controller, a woman, did
something like this after I called in north of the city:

Click. "Canadian Charlie Foxtrot Indie Alphia Charl..." Click.
Click. "Canadian Charlia Foxtrot India Alphia..." Click.
Click. "Canadian Foxtrot Charlie Alpha Indie..." Click.
Click. Much laughter by other controllers heard in background tower
noise. Frustration and embarrassment evident in her voice. "Canadian
180, proceed on course east of the highway."

Dan

Old February 27th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

xyzzy wrote in
:

On Feb 26, 4:40 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
xyzzy wrote
innews:52c42561-1a26-43c4-a3cc-4481d7d868c1

@d5g2000hsc.googlegroups.co
m:

http://iomblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/...-new-aircraft-

registry.
html

Geared toward private jets, fees promised to be lower than Europe,
more "user-friendly", etc.

A-ha.. I'd say there would be a market for that. Private flying is nutso
expensive in Europe.
They have another cool rule. No speed limits except in towns.
Nutcase bikers form all over converge on the place just to drive as fast
as they can.
As long as they can.

Bertie

Old February 28th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Dylan Smith

On 2008-02-27, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
A-ha.. I'd say there would be a market for that. Private flying is nutso
expensive in Europe.

The other reason is that the N-reg is falling out of favour: aircraft
with the N reg are finding themselves unwelcome in more places these
days, especially in Africa and the middle East. So jet owners not US
based but who used the N reg are starting to convert.

If you have a Manx based plane you can register it whatever it is, so
long as it has a CofA. I went to the meeting they had at Ronaldsway. I
had to pinch myself to convince myself I wasn't dreaming - aviation
regulators who were actually trying to make things easier, and make
things happen, and make things less expensive. For example, *ALL* of my
FAA ratings are valid in M-reg planes, all I have to do is fill out a
form and that's it. In Europe, at most your basic day VFR PPL is all
you'll get from a foreign license (UK and Eire), and most of Europe not
even that - you have to take a bunch of tests to validate a foreign
license. The guy who was in charge of airworthiness and maintenance was
extremely enthusiastic - not some bureaucrat, but someone who loved
aviation, breathed aviation, understood things like wooden planes and
the like. What a refreshing change!

As for independence, the Isle of Man has quite a bit of it already - I
have a Manx passport, for instance. We raise our own taxes, make our own
legislation etc., print our own banknotes, but it's still British territory.

They have another cool rule. No speed limits except in towns.
Nutcase bikers form all over converge on the place just to drive as fast
as they can.

Don't forget the Isle of Man TT. My Dad still races sidecars in that. A
37 3/4 mile long race circuit, with races from 3 to 6 laps. Also, the
Isle of Man Grand Prix (same circuit), the Southern 100 (on the Billown
circuit in the south, 4 and a bit miles per lap) and the Jurby Road Race
in the north.

Last year was the 100th anniversary of the TT races, we got something
like 25000 bikes come over, and something like 50,000 visitors (our
normal population is 80,000).

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.
Old February 28th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
xyzzy

On Feb 28, 12:08 pm, Dylan Smith wrote:
--
From the sunny Isle of Man.

You had me until you said that

Is it really sunny there in the Irish sea? It sure isn't in the nearby
landmasses. I have a friend who lives there and I've never heard him
say it's sunny (windy, yes).

Old February 28th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Dylan Smith wrote in
:

On 2008-02-27, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

That does sound excellent..

As for independence, the Isle of Man has quite a bit of it already - I
have a Manx passport, for instance. We raise our own taxes, make our
own legislation etc., print our own banknotes, but it's still British
territory.

Yes, I knew a lot of that already. I beleive your language is making a
comeback as well.

They have another cool rule. No speed limits except in towns.
Nutcase bikers form all over converge on the place just to drive as
fast as they can.

Don't forget the Isle of Man TT. My Dad still races sidecars in that.
A 37 3/4 mile long race circuit, with races from 3 to 6 laps. Also,
the Isle of Man Grand Prix (same circuit), the Southern 100 (on the
Billown circuit in the south, 4 and a bit miles per lap) and the Jurby
Road Race in the north.

Cool. He must be mad, though! The walls...

Last year was the 100th anniversary of the TT races, we got something
like 25000 bikes come over, and something like 50,000 visitors (our
normal population is 80,000).

I've been there! I ride as well, but my bike won't fit in the airplane.

Bertie

Old February 28th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
RdKetchup

Dylan Smith wrote:
Don't forget the Isle of Man TT. My Dad still races sidecars in that. A
37 3/4 mile long race circuit, with races from 3 to 6 laps. Also, the
Isle of Man Grand Prix (same circuit), the Southern 100 (on the Billown
circuit in the south, 4 and a bit miles per lap) and the Jurby Road Race
in the north.

Last year was the 100th anniversary of the TT races, we got something
like 25000 bikes come over, and something like 50,000 visitors (our
normal population is 80,000).

Wow, what a coincidence, earlier this week I was asking in r.a.s.f1 if
anybody had suggestion regarding a possible trip I wanted to take to the
IoM TT this summer, and now I find something regarding it in r.a.p

Could I contact you by email for a few questions, like best way to get
there (plane, ferry), motorcycle rentals, possibility of renting an
apartment for the week instead of going to an hotel? If you have info
regarding these type of things of course, or know where to point me toward.

Thanks.
Old February 29th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Dylan Smith

On 2008-02-28, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Don't forget the Isle of Man TT. My Dad still races sidecars in that.
A 37 3/4 mile long race circuit, with races from 3 to 6 laps. Also,
the Isle of Man Grand Prix (same circuit), the Southern 100 (on the
Billown circuit in the south, 4 and a bit miles per lap) and the Jurby
Road Race in the north.

Cool. He must be mad, though! The walls...

He crashed into one, once - broke his right hand and wrist and arm very
badly (lots of steel pins sticking out, that kind of thing), destroyed
his helmet and got the free helicopter ride.

Didn't stop him though. He had a new outfit the next year, and crashed
again - no injury that time, straighened the outfit, and raced.

He's not crashed since.

I don't have video of the TT (it's too long for my video equipment) but
I do have some video of the Southern 100 which is also a road race (and
personally, I much prefer the Southern to the TT - it's a much
friendlier meeting, even if the course is more dangerous). Here's the
video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVdXdGSxnwY

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.