Winch Clinic

Old January 20th 12, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Winch Clinic

As found on Barnstormers.com

GLIDER WINCH CLINIC IN SO CAL • $375 • EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT • YOU'RE
INVITED! • Instruction on flight and operations of winch launching
with a modern winch built by Roman Wrosz. Space limited. March 9-11,
2012. Fly-in or drive to Jacumba, CA (L78). The demonstration and
training flights performed in the beautiful Schweizer 2-33. Four hours
of ground instruction, followed by two days of flight school. •
Contact Bud Robinson - ASSOCIATED GLIDER CLUBS OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA,
Friend of Owner - located San Diego, CA USA • Telephone: 619-436-8010
Old January 23rd 12, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

On Jan 19, 7:16*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
As found on Barnstormers.com

GLIDER WINCH CLINIC IN SO CAL • $375 • EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT • YOU'RE
INVITED! • Instruction on flight and operations of winch launching
with a modern winch built by Roman Wrosz. Space limited. March 9-11,
2012. Fly-in or drive to Jacumba, CA (L78). The demonstration and
training flights performed in the beautiful Schweizer 2-33. Four hours
of ground instruction, followed by two days of flight school. •
Contact Bud Robinson - ASSOCIATED GLIDER CLUBS OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA,
Friend of Owner - located San Diego, CA USA • Telephone:619-436-8010begin_of_the_skype_highlighting************619-436-8010

Excuse me for appearing stupid, but I was under the impression that
you needed a CG hook to winch launch and that a Schweizer hook was
especially bad to use because when the tow cable is approaches 90
degrees to the release arm, the bale (name? thing the pilot actually
moves during a release) is under so much load that it cannot be pulled
aft. I'd like to know more. Thanks, John
Old January 23rd 12, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jan 23, 11:13*am, JohnDeRosa wrote:
[...]

Several 2-33's are fitted with 'cg hooks', as are 2-22's. I suspect
this clinic is using the 2-33 as the other available two seaters may
be experimental. Perhaps they can find a commercial K-21, L-23 or
G-103 in the area with a CG hook and qualified instructor. Launch
height will differ by several hundred feet on a decent run.

I've winched launched 2-33's a lot from the nose hook with no
problems. My greater concern is fouling the strop in the skid. Not
aware of any that have failed to back release at the power cut that
I've launched, but the pilots always pull twice anyway. Plan B is cut
the rope.

Frank Whiteley
Old January 23rd 12, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Me, too! Lots of 2-33 launches at Black Forest. Our 2-33 had a DG hook and
launched just fine. I've never had difficulty releasing, even under
tension.

Old January 23rd 12, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 1/23/2012 12:01 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Jan 23, 11:13 am, wrote:
On Jan 19, 7:16 pm, Frank wrote:

[...]

Snip...

I've winched launched 2-33's a lot from the nose hook with no
problems. My greater concern is fouling the strop in the skid. Not
aware of any that have failed to back release at the power cut that
I've launched, but the pilots always pull twice anyway. Plan B is cut
the rope.

Frank Whiteley

"What Frank said." For several winters back in the (I think) 1990s various
SSB-ers used to winch launch our nose-hook-only-equipped 2-33. Other than
noticeable elevator separation/porpoising on the way up if one "over-pulled",
all was utterly straightforward. Of course we did "the usual pushover" at the
top of the arc, firmly/fully pulled the release twice, and visually verified
successful release before initiating any turn. Plan B was to chop the
(single-strand, well-logging) wire at the winch. Plan C was to circle to a
close-in-to-the-winch landing pointed at the winch.

Never had a hook-related/release issue of which I was aware. Plan A always
worked without drama.

Regards,
Bob W.
Old January 23rd 12, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Jan 23, 11:13 am, *wrote:
On Jan 19, 7:16 pm, Frank *wrote:

[...]

So.......................I could winch launch my glider using the nose
mounted Tost unit?

That would be great!

Brad
Old January 23rd 12, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Jan 23, 11:13 am, *wrote:
On Jan 19, 7:16 pm, Frank *wrote:

[...]

you might want to ask Bob K first

Stan Hall was not a fan of winch launching on a nosehook and from what
i've read made it pretty clear that he did not design the cherokee for
ground launch loads. Didn't stop some people though and I know of at
least one winch launch rip the wings off fatal in a Cherokee II.
Although odds are there was something not quite right with the wings
too. There is a Cherokee in Australia that is regularly winch
launched although that is with a tost hook on the CG and firmly
attached to the fuselage bulkhead that includes wing attach at the top
and main wheel at the bottom, in other words, very tough. I'll stick
with aerotow.
Old January 23rd 12, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Ferguson[_2_]

So.......................I could winch launch my glider using the nose
mounted Tost unit?

That would be great!

Brad

No, that's not a clever idea and if you have a modern glider it will be
prohibited by the flight manual

Old January 23rd 12, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Jan 23, 2:25*pm, John Ferguson wrote:
So.......................I could winch launch my glider using the nose
mounted Tost unit?

That would be great!

Brad

No, that's not a clever idea and if you have a modern glider it will be
prohibited by the flight manual

I have a modern glider, but since I usually don't agree with what the
gubbmint tells me I'll ignore the flight manual and just stick a CG
hook on my glider and call it good, and clever!

Brad