Searching for clues... what can be seen from an F-16???

Old July 6th 05, 03:21 PM
Neil Gould

Default Searching for clues... what can be seen from an F-16???

Hi all,

The recent decision to use F-16s to search for clues in the missing person
case in Aruba has me puzzled. What will one see from an F-16 that would
elude a slower aircraft?

Neil

Old July 6th 05, 03:29 PM
Peter R.

Neil Gould wrote:

The recent decision to use F-16s to search for clues in the missing person
case in Aruba has me puzzled. What will one see from an F-16 that would
elude a slower aircraft?

I read that they are using the aircraft for its infrared camera and body
heat finding abilities.

My first reaction to this was that does a decomposing body generate enough
heat for this device to detect?

--
Peter

Old July 6th 05, 03:47 PM
Ben Hallert

I just hope there aren't any Canadian search teams on the ground... I
kid, I kid.

Using an F-16 instead of, say, a helo with FLIR seems pretty dang
ridiculous. A missing person search without an F-16 sounds like ice
cream without ketchup.

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL

Old July 6th 05, 07:28 PM
Jay Beckman

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all,

The recent decision to use F-16s to search for clues in the missing person
case in Aruba has me puzzled. What will one see from an F-16 that would
elude a slower aircraft?

Neil

I was wondering about this too.

The use of FLIR makes some sense (I guess...) but what SONAR capability does
an F16 have beyond being able to drop sonobouys?

Don't think it's going to tow a sidescan sled...

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old July 6th 05, 07:37 PM
Peter Duniho

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
. ..
The recent decision to use F-16s to search for clues in the missing person
case in Aruba has me puzzled. What will one see from an F-16 that would
elude a slower aircraft?

I don't know. Probably nothing? I simply assumed that the F-16s were sent
as a political "goodwill" gesture, and not necessarily with the expectation
that they would be terribly helpful.

Old July 6th 05, 08:34 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, Peter Duniho posted:

"Neil Gould" wrote in message

The recent decision to use F-16s to search for clues in the missing
person case in Aruba has me puzzled. What will one see from an F-16
that would elude a slower aircraft?

I don't know. Probably nothing? I simply assumed that the F-16s
were sent as a political "goodwill" gesture, and not necessarily with
the expectation that they would be terribly helpful.

That was my first notion... but, wouldn't a better goodwill gesture be to
do something useful? If I was the distraught parent lobbying for some
action, I'd be even more distraught at this choice of response.

Neil

Old July 6th 05, 09:43 PM

The Dutch F-16's are carrying recon pods that utilize several different
data gathering systems. With the use of the F-16's it's possible to
cover the entire island and analyze the first pass data in a matter of
hours. To do the same with helos would take several days. Once you have
baseline data, you can tweak the recon pods for better coverage in
smaller areas.

Just to give you an example, I've seen slant range photos take from an
altitude greather than 40,000 feet of a target more than 50 miles
downrange and you could read the two inch high identification marks
with a couple power magnifing glass.

Craig C.

Old July 6th 05, 09:51 PM
Matt Whiting

Neil Gould wrote:

Hi all,

The recent decision to use F-16s to search for clues in the missing person
case in Aruba has me puzzled. What will one see from an F-16 that would
elude a slower aircraft?

Neil

All depends on what sort of sensors the F-16 has. I'm guessing they
aren't talking about visual searches...

Matt
Old July 7th 05, 06:49 AM

Thats right, those F16s are used before for looking for a missing
person in the Netherlands.
I can not remember if they were succesfull.

-Kees

Old July 7th 05, 08:35 PM
Blueskies

wrote in message oups.com...

Thats right, those F16s are used before for looking for a missing
person in the Netherlands.
I can not remember if they were succesfull.

-Kees

Gee, I wonder if someone sent them to Afghanistan they could find Bin Laden?