Instrument training materials

Old July 14th 04, 04:48 AM
Paul Folbrecht

Default Instrument training materials

Well, my 152 is properly equipped & IFR certified now and I've decided
to commence my IFR traning shortly. I'd like to get opinions on study
materials. I really like the Jeppeson texts I used for my PPL but my
mind is open. (But, I have to say that the Kings happen to drive me nuts!)

TIA.

Old July 14th 04, 01:32 PM
Jim Burns

Hey Paul,
When I developed a ground school for the students here, I used Gleim and
Kings material to present each subject covered on the written test, then
cross referenced it with additional reading assignments from Peter Dogan's
book. When I study for the knowledge tests for myself, I use Dauntless
Software's software at www.faatest.com. Do not fail to tap the web, Gene
Whitt has covered just about every topic in one way or another.
www.whittsflying.com and Avweb has some very good articles on individual
subjects also. I combined everything I could find into power point
presentations and burned each lesson to a CD for each student so they could
take them home and study not only what we covered in class, but also access
more material on the CD if they wanted additional viewpoints. The trick is
for you to look at several different sources and choose the one that you
LEARN the best from. It may not be the one with the fanciest cover or the
one that goes overboard presenting too much information. I personally found
Jeppesen's multi-engine textbook extreme overkill, while Bob Gardner's book
presented the right amount of pertinent real world information in a similar
manner as Peter Dogan does with the Instrument Manual.

Good flights,
Jim Burns

---

Old July 14th 04, 06:47 PM
Cecil Chapman

My list:

King IFR DVD course

King Jeppesen Enroute & Approach chart review (great for learning about the
little 'nuances' in the chart zymology - especially helpful for those
examiner questions that may delve into the minutiae of the chart

Rod Machado Instrument Handbook

U.S. Govt's NEW Instrument book (BEAUTIFULLY DONE!)

PTS

Instrument Oral Exam Guide

VOR/ADF/Navigation Simulator (great for getting the nav aid concepts into
your head - you can move the aircraft around on a 2-d map in different
positions and headings and organize nav aids in the position you would like
((great for helping one to see what a given indication on the needles as it
relates to one's physical position to the navaid)))

OnTop Flight Simulator (great for practicing one's scan) of course FS 2004
can help you in this regard too (though I haven't used it very much)

I've tried many, more but the one's on the list are the ones that have
worked for me, of course YMMV... :-)

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old July 15th 04, 06:01 PM
Cecil Chapman

Forgot to add:

Gleim Instrument Written Exam Audio CD's - I found these especially
helpful, 'cause I could listen to them in my service van on work days,
enroute to customer sites. Eliminated a lot of 'down-time' learning.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
om...