High or low wing?

Old May 8th 04, 10:14 PM
C. Paul Williams, MD

Default High or low wing?

Hi, I'm new to this group and new to piloting, just having passed my
private pilot FAA written and about halfway through flight school.
I'm training in a Cessna 172SP and have a question for the experienced
pilots out there. Do you prefer flying a high wing or low wing
aircraft and why?...I apologize if this is a redundant question on the
newsgroup.
Thanks. CPW
Old May 8th 04, 10:21 PM
HECTOP

We've been fighting for years on this subject with Jim Fisher and Jay
Honeck, trying to convince them that low-wingers are more masculine and
overall a better choice for real pilots, but they won't listen, so the
subject is a taboo here now because of those two. Please try looking it all
up in http://groups.google.com

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

PS. Wot me worry?

om...

Old May 8th 04, 10:25 PM
Brad Z

It's not redundant as much as it is a religious issue here. Be ready to
have your manhood questioned for training in a high wing.

Brad (goes both ways...err with wings locations, that is...)

Old May 8th 04, 10:25 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"C. Paul Williams, MD" wrote in message
om...

Hi, I'm new to this group and new to piloting, just having passed my
private pilot FAA written and about halfway through flight school.
I'm training in a Cessna 172SP and have a question for the experienced
pilots out there. Do you prefer flying a high wing or low wing
aircraft and why?...I apologize if this is a redundant question on the
newsgroup.

Low wing aircraft and high wing aircraft have their advantages and
disadvantages, but high wing aircraft have more advantages than
disadvantages and low wing aircraft have more disadvantages than advantages.

Old May 8th 04, 10:41 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"C. Paul Williams, MD" wrote:

Do you prefer flying a high wing or low wing aircraft and why?

I prefer high wing aircraft because I like to be able to see and take photos of
objects on the ground.

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.
Old May 8th 04, 10:57 PM
Peter Gottlieb

They both work.

I have flown and trained in both and push comes to shove I would take
either.

In the low wing it is harder to observe and photograph the ground, in a high
wing you cannot see where you are turning and to me it is a little scarrier
at uncontrolled airports where there is less visibility before taking the
active.

Old May 8th 04, 10:59 PM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

"C. Paul Williams, MD" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I'm new to this group and new to piloting, just having passed my
private pilot FAA written and about halfway through flight school.
I'm training in a Cessna 172SP and have a question for the experienced
pilots out there. Do you prefer flying a high wing or low wing
aircraft and why?...I apologize if this is a redundant question on the
newsgroup.
Thanks. CPW

High wing!

Anybody who tells you otherwise is a damned fool, and quite possibly a
homosexual.

Old May 8th 04, 11:24 PM
C J Campbell

There are no low wing birds.

Even the term "low winger" sounds faintly obscene. :-)

Old May 8th 04, 11:30 PM
Jay Honeck

We've been fighting for years on this subject with Jim Fisher and Jay
Honeck, trying to convince them that low-wingers are more masculine and
overall a better choice for real pilots, but they won't listen

Don't let him fool you, Doc Williams -- HECTOP is a known high-wing pilot
and Communist sympathizer. And we all know what them Com-simps are all
about, now DON'T we....?

By the way: It is now a direct violation of the Patriot Act to fly those
wimpy high-wing planes in uncontrolled air space (because we all KNOW that
high-wingers require careful and repeated direction in order to land
safely), so unless you want to only fly into Class D or better airports, I
suggest that you purchase a manly low-wing plane.

Being a doctor, one would think that you'd be attracted to the studly
low-wing Beech Bonanza, but there are other very capable aircraft out there,
like the Cirrus SR-22.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

High wing to low wing converts...or, visa versa? Jack Allison Owning 99 January 27th 05 11:10 AM
High wing vs low wing temp Owning 11 June 10th 04 02:36 AM
High Wing or Low Wing Bob Babcock Home Built 17 January 23rd 04 01:34 AM
End of High wing low wing search for me dan Home Built 7 January 11th 04 10:57 AM
Props and Wing Warping... was soaring vs. flaping Wright1902Glider Home Built 0 September 29th 03 03:40 PM