A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Sailplane/trailer moving?

Old December 11th 17, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ryan Wubben
external usenet poster

Default Sailplane/trailer moving?

I’ve occasionally seen posts regarding people with an empty leg willing
to
transport glider trailers around various parts of the country.

Anyone with good recommendations on who to use? Bad experiences?

What does it typically cost?

Thanks!
Ryan in Madison

Old December 11th 17, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have this guy, Lonnie Greenwood, move 4 or 5 sailplanes for me and members in my club in the last two years. He has a 1 ton pick up truck and does a nice job. He travels the country and is always moving boats, campers, etc.

336-250-4534
E-mail:

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 2:45:07 PM UTC-5, Ryan Wubben wrote:
to

Thanks!
Ryan in Madison

Old December 11th 17, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 11:45:07 AM UTC-8, Ryan Wubben wrote:
to

Thanks!
Ryan in Madison

Tony Condon, based in Kansas. Frequent poster on r.a.s. you can look him up here or the SSA directory. Super experienced.

I hope your trailer is in great condition (sorry nothing personal, but some folks asking for trailer tows have older trailers in shocking condition at times). If not Tony's professional repair staff at Goofy's Gliderwerks may be able to take care of that a well.

I've done cross-USA truck flat bed delivery of glider trailers as well. There are lots of options that have been discussed on r.a.s. it the past.

Old December 11th 17, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

I'm kind of trying to transition back to more semi-normal work but have been known to pull a trailer from time to time. I usually set a per mile rate based on the type of trailer. Rate usually varies directly with the expected gas mileage and age of the trailer. I normally quote for round trip mileage from my home in Wichita to the trailer to where the trailer is going back to my home. Uship.com and others (like Tim's guy) who are professional full time transport guys will quote you probably at a lower per mile rate and just one way.

Old December 20th 17, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Very often if you ask around through the soaring people you know, friends-of-friends connections etc ... you can often find somebody who will drive a rig for you -- how much they know and a few other important issues are yours to figure out ... or pay the consequences.

Last fall I drove a glider & trailer back from Redmond OR to Saratoga NY .... all the way across the country -- did it for free for a friend (he paid all the expenses ... and they added up to a bit less than $3500, including the rental U-Haul that pulled it).

There are a LOT of things to know, if you are trailering gliders. But absolutely right at the top of the list is inspecting the trailer -- wheel bearing must be recently repacked -- GOOD tires, structurally sound trailer, lights working ... and in most jurisdictions in the eastern US ... it needs a plate, or you will collect a lot of expensive tickets.

Oregon doesn't require plates on trailers, but that will NOT get you across the USA ... and I knew that. Pulled it across with a Hawaii trailer plate ... that had expired in 2012 ... got away with that.

The liability issues of pulling somebody else's trailer are a real issue worth thinking about ...
Old December 21st 17, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 11:45:07 AM UTC-8, Ryan Wubben wrote:
to

Thanks!
Ryan in Madison

For towing glider trailers, I would like to recommend Gerry Bupte (gbupte at gmail dot com) 218-209 1 nine nine 3. He recently towed my glider from San Antonio Texas to California for about $1/mile (no charge for getting to pickup point or getting back home). I located him through uship.com but you can contact him directly and avoid the up charge. He did a great job, was very communicative, picked up and dropped off within 30 min of scheduled time, and was able to carry some extra stuff in his crew cab that would not fit in the trailer. He said he would love to do more of this type of towing, so think of him before your next far away contest.

Matt H
Old December 22nd 17, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ryan Wubben
external usenet poster

At 15:58 21 December 2017, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 11:45:07 AM UTC-8, Ryan Wubben

wrote:
I=E2=80=99ve occasionally seen posts regarding people with an empty

leg
w=
illing
to=20
=20
=20
=20
Thanks!
Ryan in Madison

For towing glider trailers, I would like to recommend Gerry Bupte (gbupte
a=
t gmail dot com) 218-209 1 nine nine 3. He recently towed my glider from
S=
an Antonio Texas to California for about $1/mile (no charge for getting

to
=
pickup point or getting back home). I located him through uship.com but
yo=
u can contact him directly and avoid the up charge. He did a great job,
wa=
s very communicative, picked up and dropped off within 30 min of

scheduled
=
time, and was able to carry some extra stuff in his crew cab that would
not=
fit in the trailer. He said he would love to do more of this type of
towi=
ng, so think of him before your next far away contest.

Matt H

Thanks!
I’ll contact him.
This is probably a small enough community, we should share good contacts of

those who have done a good job at reasonable rates.
I appreciate the tip.

Ryan

Old December 28th 17, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 6:48:29 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Very often if you ask around through the soaring people you know, friends-of-friends connections etc ... you can often find somebody who will drive a rig for you -- how much they know and a few other important issues are yours to figure out ... or pay the consequences.

Last fall I drove a glider & trailer back from Redmond OR to Saratoga NY .... all the way across the country -- did it for free for a friend (he paid all the expenses ... and they added up to a bit less than $3500, including the rental U-Haul that pulled it).

There are a LOT of things to know, if you are trailering gliders. But absolutely right at the top of the list is inspecting the trailer -- wheel bearing must be recently repacked -- GOOD tires, structurally sound trailer, lights working ... and in most jurisdictions in the eastern US ... it needs a plate, or you will collect a lot of expensive tickets.

Oregon doesn't require plates on trailers, but that will NOT get you across the USA ... and I knew that. Pulled it across with a Hawaii trailer plate ... that had expired in 2012 ... got away with that.

The liability issues of pulling somebody else's trailer are a real issue worth thinking about ...

You actually DID do something that was illegal: operating a vehicle with a falsified license. That is a gross misdemeanor in Washington. Other states must acknowledge public records per the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the Constitution. If stopped, all you had to do is show that you are from Oregon.

I would get a written liability waiver from the owner before towing the trailer.

Tom