Flash GPS Opinions?

Old March 27th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flash GPS Opinions?

I've pretty much made up my mind to use a PDA w/Flash GPS. Prices for
these things range from $65-150. Can anyone relate good or bad
experience with any particular brand/model? Thanks.

Mike

Old March 27th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mike wrote:
I've pretty much made up my mind to use a PDA w/Flash GPS. Prices for
these things range from $65-150. Can anyone relate good or bad
experience with any particular brand/model? Thanks.

I've been using the Transplant CF GPS that Paul sells.

http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/transplant.htm

It works just find on my hx4705 iPAQ w/SeeYou Mobile.

Jeremy
Old March 27th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I use the same hardware combination that Jeremy uses, but for vehicle
navigation with TomTom Navigator 5. The only problem I've had is that
the Transplant CF GPS receiver has never worked by itself; I only get
satellite fixes when I have the optional remote antenna attached.

Be aware also that the GPS card (at least the Transplant model) extends
the height of the PDA by 2 - 2.5".

~ted/2NO

Old March 27th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I use the Transplant with a 5450. I've only used it a half dozen or so
times but it seems to work fine so far. I have had problems starting
Mobile CU unless I first run the CruxView software (it comes with
Transplant) and get a good gps fix.

That could be a problem with the gps, the ipaq, mcu, or maybe even the
operator.

At any rate, I'm pleased with it and have a very portable, easy to use
system.
(and the mcu log files are readily accepted on OLC)

Doug

Old March 28th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I don't have an opinion about the card beyond that I have seen them and
they work.

However this combination will not work for badge or contest work. You
have to have an FAI approved logger.

Old March 28th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

ContestID67 wrote:
I don't have an opinion about the card beyond that I have seen them and
they work.

However this combination will not work for badge or contest work. You
have to have an FAI approved logger.

Assuming we're talking about contests in the US, flight data recorded by
a PDA is not legal for contests, but you don't necessarily need an FAI
approved flight recorder. Flight data from handheld GPS units, and
other forms of off-the-shelf GPS recording devices, can be used at any
SSA sanctioned contests. Examples are the SN10, newer Garmin or
Magellan handhelds with (GPS) altitude recording, and Bluetooth GPS
receivers with logging capability (which is a nice combo with a
Bluetooth equipped PDA).

To collect US Team points, however, one needs an FAI approved flight
recorder...

Marc

Old March 28th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've used a Haicom 303MMF in an iPAQ 3859 with good luck for the last year
and 1/2. It has worked well with GPS-Log, SeeYou Mobile, and iNAV iGuidance
for vehicle navigation, i.e., retrieves. This particular CF GPS had a few
nice features - internal battery to remember last location, firewire
connection to be used with laptop, remote antenna capable, CF card folds
under received making it sturdier when stored.

John Scott

oups.com...