Protecting 123.3

Old September 4th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Bojack[_2_]

Default Protecting 123.3

We've got an expensive air-park type housing development in the area (you
know the type...expensive homes on the runway)....and they've 'adopted'
using 123.3 as their CTAF.

Question, isn't this in violation of the rules? If so, what should we
local glider pilots do about it?

Thanks,

J4

Old September 4th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 4, 11:20 am, "John Bojack" wrote:
We've got an expensive air-park type housing development in the area (you
know the type...expensive homes on the runway)....and they've 'adopted'
using 123.3 as their CTAF.

Question, isn't this in violation of the rules? If so, what should we
local glider pilots do about it?

Thanks,

J4

Ive always wondered about 123.3 too. Ive never seen anything from the
FAA or FCC designating its use for glider air to air. some private
websites show that it is to be used for flight instruction,
ballooning, and gliders. according to http://www.fcc.gov/oet/spectrum/table/fcctable.pdf
it is not to be used for anything. maybe im reading it wrong.

Old September 4th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

See AIM Chapter 4, Air Traffic Control, Table 4-1-3 "Other Frequency
Usage Designated by the FCC". I'm looking at the 2007 ASA FAR/AIM
publication.

Quoting the FAA's Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM), 123.300 and
123.500 are listed for "Aviation Instruction, Glider, Hot Air Balloon
(not to be used for advisory service)."

Cindy Brickner at Caracole Soaring, California City, had a similar
issue with 123.3 recently and apparently got it resolved.

Cindy, over to you?

Burt Compton
Marfa, TX USA

Old September 4th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 4, 1:31 pm, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
See AIM Chapter 4, Air Traffic Control, Table 4-1-3 "Other Frequency
Usage Designated by the FCC". I'm looking at the 2007 ASA FAR/AIM
publication.

Quoting the FAA's Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM), 123.300 and
123.500 are listed for "Aviation Instruction, Glider, Hot Air Balloon
(not to be used for advisory service)."

Cindy Brickner at Caracole Soaring, California City, had a similar
issue with 123.3 recently and apparently got it resolved.

Cindy, over to you?

Burt Compton
Marfa, TX USA

OK Burt, apparently I need to review my AIM! or get better glasses

Old September 4th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Sep 4, 12:31 pm, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
See AIM Chapter 4, Air Traffic Control, Table 4-1-3 "Other Frequency
Usage Designated by the FCC". I'm looking at the 2007 ASA FAR/AIM
publication.

Quoting the FAA's Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM), 123.300 and
123.500 are listed for "Aviation Instruction, Glider, Hot Air Balloon
(not to be used for advisory service)."

Cindy Brickner at Caracole Soaring, California City, had a similar
issue with 123.3 recently and apparently got it resolved.

Cindy, over to you?

Burt Compton
Marfa, TX USA

Does anyone have the FAR section as well for this. We are having
similar problems with an FBO that serves business jets and they all
call in from 20K feet to let them know they will be in 20 minutes,
check on rental cars, etc. Spoke politely to the owner who I could
tell was going to do nothing so it is time to speak to the FSDO in the
region.

Tim

Old September 4th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 4, 4:20 pm, Tim Taylor wrote:
[...]

its not in the FAR's, the frequency assignment comes from the FCC.
FSDO would be a good place to start though, referencing the AIM
section that Burt mentions.

Old September 5th 07, 07:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark A. Matthews

In article ,
"John Bojack" wrote:

We've got an expensive air-park type housing development in the area (you
know the type...expensive homes on the runway)....and they've 'adopted'
using 123.3 as their CTAF.

You're looking for 47CFR87.319-47CFR87.323, which covers stations using
123.300MHz and 123.500MHz.

If the airpark is using it for unicom, ask to see their ground station
license. If they refuse to show it to you, refer to the local FCC field
office, who will ask to see their station license. It will specify the
frequencies they are licensed to use.

Field offices are listed off this website: http://www.fcc.gov/eb/rfo/
Old September 5th 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jodom

On Sep 5, 2:42 am, "Mark A. Matthews" wrote:
In article ,
"John Bojack" wrote:

We've got an expensive air-park type housing development in the area (you
know the type...expensive homes on the runway)....and they've 'adopted'
using 123.3 as their CTAF.

You're looking for 47CFR87.319-47CFR87.323, which covers stations using
123.300MHz and 123.500MHz.

If the airpark is using it for unicom, ask to see their ground station
license. If they refuse to show it to you, refer to the local FCC field
office, who will ask to see their station license. It will specify the
frequencies they are licensed to use.

Field offices are listed off this website:http://www.fcc.gov/eb/rfo/

They don't need a ground station license unless they have a ground
station there. Best just to work it out politely if it's really a
problem.

(BTW, you mention that it's an expensive development. If it were a
trailer park with a grass strip, would it be okay?)

Old September 5th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Sep 4, 3:54 pm, wrote:

its not in the FAR's, the frequency assignment comes from the FCC.
FSDO would be a good place to start though, referencing the AIM
section that Burt mentions.

Thanks, I found the correct reference in the FCC code Part 87, subpart
K sections 87.319 and 87.323. It appears to be very specific that
what they FCC terms "portal-to-portal" service should not be occurring
on 123.3 or 123.5. I am beginning the process to work with the two
FBO's and the FCC to get them to change frequency of operations of air
to ground support operations. Both FBO's have used 123.3 and 123.5
for many years so it may not be easy, but if we don't work to hold on
to 123.3 and 123.5 we will be over run in the near future by jet
traffic setting up rental cars, fuel and catering.

I would love to hear Cindy's take on this and experiences she has had.

Tim

P.S. I know the UT, WY, MT and ID pilots are dealing with this, are
the Colorado pilots hearing the Bozeman, MT jet traffic (Yellowstone
Jet Center, 123.3 and Arlin's Aircraft Service, 123.5)?

Old September 5th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
shawn

Tim Taylor wrote:

P.S. I know the UT, WY, MT and ID pilots are dealing with this, are
the Colorado pilots hearing the Bozeman, MT jet traffic (Yellowstone
Jet Center, 123.3 and Arlin's Aircraft Service, 123.5)?

Not that I've heard, or heard of over Boulder. Bozeman and Yellowstone
pretty far over the horizon though.

Shawn