Radio Procedure - Runway ID

Old October 15th 05, 12:23 PM
Matt Whiting

Matt Barrow wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Jay Honeck wrote:

Interesting. Both Mary and I were trained to ALWAYS use the leading
zero. Runway 7 is ALWAYS called runway 07.

Ah...but this is just another example of an instructor pushing his/her
own
ideas as gospel. "My instructor told me to..." is not justification for
anything. Heard it too many times on checkrides.

I suppose you're right -- but this was done by two different CFIIs, in
two different states, separated by 7 years. And my guy was an old
grey-beard, while Mary's was a young buck.

Dang, what're the odds of *both* of us being taught incorrectly?

I'd say 100%. :-)

I've had at least 6 different instructors and none have ever suggested a
leading zero on a runway designation. I do believe that leading zeroes
are expected, however, on headings. Don't ask me why the difference...

A heading can be 360 different degrees; a runway has fewer options.

True, but with headings the pad with leading zeroes to reach the number
of digits contained in the maximum value. If they applied the same rule
to runways, you WOULD use a leading zero on the single digit runways, as
ICAO also requires. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I'm used to
not using leading zeroes on runways, but using them on headings so it
isn't a big deal, just a curiousity.

Matt
Old October 15th 05, 12:24 PM
Matt Whiting

Matt Barrow wrote:

"George Patterson" wrote in message

Gary Drescher wrote:

Factoids that propagate by word of mouth through successive generations of
students, with no one fact-checking along the way, are not reliable.

Yes, and you also have things still circulating that were once true but
have not been true since radial engines were the norm.

And many things are relevant from radials all the way through horizontally
opposed since internal combustion engines are much the same internally. The
combustion event is virtually the same whether a radial, HO, or a lawn
mower.

Gee, Matt, you really need to learn to recognize context. He wasn't
talking at all about engine construction here...

Matt "the one who can recognize context"
Old October 15th 05, 12:25 PM
Matt Whiting

Newps wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

I've had at least 6 different instructors and none have ever
suggested a leading zero on a runway designation. I do believe that
leading zeroes are expected, however, on headings.

Headings are always three digits. Runways never are.

I know. The interesting question is why?

Matt
Old October 15th 05, 12:45 PM
Jay Honeck

Listen to the pros, on the air, or get a scanner to pull in Des Moines, and
see how they do it. :~)

It's funny, we play Unicom (and Cedar Rapids Approach, and a couple of
other airports) in the lobby at the inn all the time. I literally hear
aviation-talk 12 hours per day.

Yet I can't say that either way of describing a runway is predominant.
I hear both ways all day long, and never really gave it a thought.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 15th 05, 12:49 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Listen to the pros, on the air, or get a scanner to pull in Des Moines, and
see how they do it. :~)

It's funny, we play Unicom (and Cedar Rapids Approach, and a couple of
other airports) in the lobby at the inn all the time. I literally hear
aviation-talk 12 hours per day.

Yet I can't say that either way of describing a runway is predominant.
I hear both ways all day long, and never really gave it a thought.

Until now... :-)

Matt
Old October 15th 05, 02:01 PM
.Blueskies.

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message ...

True, but with headings the pad with leading zeroes to reach the number of digits contained in the maximum value. If
they applied the same rule to runways, you WOULD use a leading zero on the single digit runways, as ICAO also
requires. .

Matt

Do you have the ICAO reference for this?

Old October 15th 05, 02:10 PM
.Blueskies.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote in message

Please provide a reference for that.

International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Annex 14, Volume I, Aerodromes

Looks like this doc addresses the design and layout of 'aerodromes'; I cannot find any reference to radio communications
there...

Old October 15th 05, 02:47 PM
Matt Barrow

Gary Drescher wrote:

Factoids that propagate by word of mouth through successive generations
of students, with no one fact-checking along the way, are not reliable.

Yes, and you also have things still circulating that were once true but
have not been true since radial engines were the norm.

And many things are relevant from radials all the way through
horizontally opposed since internal combustion engines are much the same
internally. The combustion event is virtually the same whether a radial,
HO, or a lawn mower.

Gee, Matt, you really need to learn to recognize context. He wasn't
talking at all about engine construction here...

Too bad you snipped the part about how engines are different now.

Matt "the one who can recognize context"

No, Matt "the one who snips too much, including the prime focus".

Old October 15th 05, 02:48 PM
Matt Barrow

Newps wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

I've had at least 6 different instructors and none have ever suggested
a leading zero on a runway designation. I do believe that leading
zeroes are expected, however, on headings.

Headings are always three digits. Runways never are.

I know. The interesting question is why?

Maybe because runways are only one or two digits?

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
Emergency Procedures RD Piloting 13 April 11th 04 08:25 PM
Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14? Guy Alcala Military Aviation 265 March 7th 04 09:28 AM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Cy Galley Owning 23 July 8th 03 03:30 AM