Does a Baron 58 have an ejection seat?

Old October 18th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche Cohen

Default Does a Baron 58 have an ejection seat?

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote:
"cjcampbell" wrote in message

Jim Macklin wrote:
LOL

BTW, matter transmission as done on StarTrek can NEVER
happen and just because of the Heisenberg (sp) effect.
Einstein's equation works both ways, E=MC^2 means that to
create matter with a weight equal to a person would require
the energy of several thousand atomic bombs, under full
control and without destruction of the mechanism.

The only reason it works on Star Trek is because of the discovery of
controlled matter-antimatter reactions. In the early days it was
difficult and dangerous, but dilithium crystals found on other planets
made control of the reaction much easier. The transporter was
impossible without the crystals,

The transporter on Star Trek works because they were scheduled to start
shooting and the shuttle craft / set wasn't done so they had to come up with
something quick to get up and down to a planet.

Geoff:

Please cease your rational, pragmatic, logical and truthful comments
in this thread. They just don't make sense.

Old October 19th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"cjcampbell" wrote in
oups.com:

But back to light sabers. Larry Niven in his stories posited a
"variable sword." This is actually a wire only one molecule thick (and
therefore extremely sharp) coiled in the handle of a flashlight-like
device. The wire can be extended out any length up to about four feet.
It is held straight and rigid by a force field that affects only the
wire -- the same type of force field that enables spaceships to crash
into planets without harm to the occupants (although they may be buried
beneath tons of rock). If this was a glowing force field, it would look
just like a light saber. So you could say that Lucas was just copying
something that Larry Niven had already invented.

Larry Niven? Wasn't he in the Pink Panther? The Pink Panther didn't have a
light sabre!
Old October 19th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Judah wrote:
"cjcampbell" wrote in
oups.com:

But back to light sabers. Larry Niven in his stories posited a
"variable sword." This is actually a wire only one molecule thick (and
therefore extremely sharp) coiled in the handle of a flashlight-like
device. The wire can be extended out any length up to about four feet.
It is held straight and rigid by a force field that affects only the
wire -- the same type of force field that enables spaceships to crash
into planets without harm to the occupants (although they may be buried
beneath tons of rock). If this was a glowing force field, it would look
just like a light saber. So you could say that Lucas was just copying
something that Larry Niven had already invented.

Larry Niven? Wasn't he in the Pink Panther? The Pink Panther didn't have a
light sabre!

That was David Niven. And, while I haven't looked, I would be surprised
if the Pink Panther has never had a light sabre. Larry Niven wrote a
series of novels called the Known Space novels. One of the things
common to all these novels is the stasis field, a kind of force field
in which time ceases to exist. Thus, it does not keep other objects out
by means of a wall of energy, but because time does not pass within the
forcefield, anything starting to enter the stasis field is frozen by
time and pushed away.

Larry Niven also was one of the creators of The Green Lantern.

Old October 19th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"cjcampbell" wrote in
oups.com:

That was David Niven. And, while I haven't looked, I would be surprised
if the Pink Panther has never had a light sabre. Larry Niven wrote a

I knew it was David Niven. I was a making what was evidently a bad joke.

series of novels called the Known Space novels. One of the things
common to all these novels is the stasis field, a kind of force field
in which time ceases to exist. Thus, it does not keep other objects out
by means of a wall of energy, but because time does not pass within the
forcefield, anything starting to enter the stasis field is frozen by
time and pushed away.

Sounds like the Cone of Silence!

But if Time is frozen, objects shouldn't be pushed away - that would require
an opposing force. They should simply freeze in time and stop moving, perhaps
collapsing upon themselves as the balance of the entering object continues
through the field. Seems pretty simple to me.

Larry Niven also was one of the creators of The Green Lantern.

I used to like the Green Lantern when I was a kid. But now that you've
described the horrible lack of logic endowed by his creators, I have lost all
respect for Greeny. I guess it's back to Superman for me.
Old October 19th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

check the writing of Keith Lamur, of course Isaac Asimov.
Too much of the novels in the sci-fi section are sexual
fantasy, bring back the good shoot 'em up space opera.

"Judah" wrote in message
. ..
| "cjcampbell" wrote in

oups.com:

Old October 19th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

"Jim Macklin" writes:

check the writing of Keith Lamur, of course Isaac Asimov.
Too much of the novels in the sci-fi section are sexual
fantasy, bring back the good shoot 'em up space opera.

A lot of science-fiction targets testosterone-befuddled young males,
so this is understandable. Asimov was nice because he managed to do
without the sex stuff. Clarke usually manages that, too. Larry Niven
has great science but there's too much fantasy-adventure and sex
thrown in. Too much of _Ringworld_ is spent in what turns out to be a
medieval adventure-novel atmosphere.

Old October 19th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Judah wrote:
"cjcampbell" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Well, Niven is not really one of the creators; he merely wrote the
Green Lantern bible for DC. So you can keep liking Greeny.

Superman has his own logic problems. Like, how did Martha Kent sew
Superman's invulnerable costume? How did Superman manage to cut those
lenses for his glasses out of the indestructible cockpit bubble?

Larry Niven, btw, wrote an article called "Man of Steel, Woman of
Kleenex." It described the physics of Superman and Lois Lane ever
getting together and why it was an impossibility.

Superman, of course, is grandfathered under the FARs. His pilot
certificate is signed by Orville Wright. He is also authorized to fly
through all restricted areas, TFRs, and other restricted airspace
without filing any notification or requesting permission. I am still
waiting for a couple FAA types to try to "Hoover" Superman.

Old October 19th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

I like the old Superman TV series with George Reeves. The
"bad guy" shots at him and we see the "Man of Steel" stand
there, hands on hips as the bullets are bouncing off his
chest. After 6 shots the bad gut throws his gun at him and
Superman ducks.

"cjcampbell" wrote in
message
ups.com...

| Judah wrote:
| "cjcampbell" wrote in

oups.com:

Old October 19th 06, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Mxsmanic wrote:
"Jim Macklin" writes:

check the writing of Keith Lamur, of course Isaac Asimov.
Too much of the novels in the sci-fi section are sexual
fantasy, bring back the good shoot 'em up space opera.

A lot of science-fiction targets testosterone-befuddled young males,
so this is understandable. Asimov was nice because he managed to do
without the sex stuff. Clarke usually manages that, too. Larry Niven
has great science but there's too much fantasy-adventure and sex
thrown in. Too much of _Ringworld_ is spent in what turns out to be a
medieval adventure-novel atmosphere.

Could be worse. Heinlein, for example.

Old October 19th 06, 09:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Jim Macklin wrote:
I like the old Superman TV series with George Reeves. The
"bad guy" shots at him and we see the "Man of Steel" stand
there, hands on hips as the bullets are bouncing off his
chest. After 6 shots the bad gut throws his gun at him and
Superman ducks.

George Reeves also looked like a normal human being. He didn't worry
about his abs -- he had a real stomach. I never have figured out why
people think they need these fantastically strong abs. All they do is
keep your guts from falling out.