2015 SSA Contest Selection

Old August 26th 14, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rolf - OS

Default 2015 SSA Contest Selection

Sorry. I can't contain my frustrations any longer.
Caesar Creek Soaring Club was awarded the 2015 Sports Class Nationals over a year ago with the dates set for June 22 through 3 July. Now the SSA is patting themselves on the back by scheduling the 2015 18M, Open, and Club Class Nationals at Hobbs, NM for (what dates?) - June 22 through 3 July.
For an organization that is trying to increase their contest participation, they have just hurt participation at both contests. Rather than schedule to allow you to participate in both contests; Now you have to decide which contest to go to.
I'm just shaking my head.
Rolf Hegele
Old August 26th 14, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Well, you could contact your SSA Regional Directors and Directors at Large via the SSA website.

They will meet soon, September 13 in Charlotte for their fall SSA meeting so you need to get in touch now and perhaps get this back on the agenda. Probably best to contact your specific regional Director first to learn the background about the decision. Much of the essential SSA business is conducted in VOLUNTEER committees and by the Executive Committee (EXCOM.) It works, for the most part, but SSA members need to make their thoughts known to their Director or through the Committees (also listed on the SSA website) well in advance of the agenda setting process for the fall and winter annual meetings.

Find the list of your Directors at the SSA website, click on tabs at the top of the page: The SSA, then About the SSA, then Governance. At the bottom of the list you can click and send your thoughts to the entire group of Directors at once. The Directors at Large are a separate list but it has the same e-mail capability.

I imagine that there are many factors in choosing these 2015 contest dates, likely based on the local club preferences and the volunteers than host the contests, but your point is well-taken.

Commenting now in advance to the inevitable inquiries: Sorry but I cannot offer Marfa, Texas, as a contest site for political and personal reasons. You'll just have to watch "The Sun Ship Game" film of the 1969 Nationals (available from Paul Remde at Cumulus_Soaring.) Yep, I was there . . . saw 85 sailplanes and met the legends of soaring flying a variety of wooden, aluminum and first-generation glass ships with the "Open" single-class rules of "run what you brung!" Only one US National contest was held back then and it was our "Oshkosh" for two weeks every summer. Won't happen again and that huge WWII Marfa Army Air Field seen in the film has returned to nature. Nevertheless I have a big bronze plaque outside of my glider hangar on the Marfa Airport honoring those glory days, as the 15th National Landmark of Soaring, compliments of our National Soaring Museum in Elmira, NY. It's very nice.

Old August 26th 14, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, August 25, 2014 10:21:47 PM UTC-4, Rolf - OS wrote:
Sorry. I can't contain my frustrations any longer.

Caesar Creek Soaring Club was awarded the 2015 Sports Class Nationals over a year ago with the dates set for June 22 through 3 July. Now the SSA is patting themselves on the back by scheduling the 2015 18M, Open, and Club Class Nationals at Hobbs, NM for (what dates?) - June 22 through 3 July.

For an organization that is trying to increase their contest participation, they have just hurt participation at both contests. Rather than schedule to allow you to participate in both contests; Now you have to decide which contest to go to.

I'm just shaking my head.

Rolf Hegele

I think there is little meaningful conflict. It MIGHT affect 2 or 3 18M pilots, no Opens and likely only a very few Club pilots. Most of the population of Club are a bit younger with much more limited vacation than us old guys and are likely to only be able to fly one Nationals.
I look forward to being at CCSC in '15.
UH
Old August 27th 14, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Rolf this is a bummer for sure. I would have liked to have attended both events. Maybe it is still possible to get this changed?

Regardless, I am certain that you will have a very well attended event! Ceasar Creek is a great place to fly and is very benign.

Keep us informed.

Sean
Old August 27th 14, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95

I'll be at CCSC 2015 Sports Nats! -

Curt Lewis - 95
Genesis 2
Old August 29th 14, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:52:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

looks like i'm driving to new mexico instead of ohio....bummer. on the other hand, the california guys are thinking, i "only" have to drive to new mexico now!
Old August 29th 14, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Andy,

Odds are it will be worth the drive. Hopefully ill see you there.
Old August 30th 14, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 29, 2014 2:41:22 PM UTC-5, ND wrote:
SNIP

looks like i'm driving to new mexico instead of ohio....bummer. on the other hand, the california guys are thinking, i "only" have to drive to new mexico now!

But you'll get to go through Missouri two years in a row, 4 times total :-)

Plus you get NM Wx potential vs. central Ohio weather potential ... no guarantees to either.

EY
Old August 30th 14, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I just send my Regional Director an e-mail asking that SSA pull the Club Nationals from Hobbs on that week and reschedule.

The current schedule makes no sense from a participation point of view and could significantly and negatively impact the contest at Ceasar Creek.

Lou
Old August 30th 14, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Make that "sent"