Glider trackiing

Old September 26th 14, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default Glider trackiing

New thread, pulled out of the Houston club one.
I've posed the question about supporting APRS tracking on glideport.aero.
It's currently not supported.
Most 2m APRS are set for three minute intervals:
Lat/Lon, Altitude, Direction and Speed.
Also deleted my (yes, primitive) SPOT tracker from SSA website, as it seemed a duplicate of the registration on glideport.aero. Yet to fly with just the device registered on one site.
Believe it will still show up on SSA Sailplane Tracker?
Jim

On Friday, September 26, 2014 7:55:05 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

What is the technology behind the Sailplane Tracker?

It uses Spot, InReach or the iPhone/Android Glide Track App which works surprisingly well by buffering your track until it gets a mobile data connection and bursts it to the server for a much more granular and detailed track than the satellite trackers - particularly Spot, which seems downright primitive in comparison.

Pedja has done a fantastic job putting this together. I look forward to some of the future features like real-time contest scoring so people on the ground can see "who's in the lead" over the course of a race.

Click around at glideport.aero for details.

http://glideport.aero/blog

9B
Old September 26th 14, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, September 26, 2014 9:47:03 AM UTC-7, JS wrote:

...my (yes, primitive) SPOT tracker

I referred to Spot as primitive mostly to underscore my amazement with how fast the technology has moved along. When I first got my Spot I thought it was pretty damn cool, now I'm admittedly more spoiled. There are similar amazing things going on elsewhere in my cockpit though sadly none of them have very much to do with airmanship. We'll need yet another thread for that topic.

:-)

9B
Old September 26th 14, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, September 26, 2014 1:32:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, September 26, 2014 9:47:03 AM UTC-7, JS wrote:

...my (yes, primitive) SPOT tracker

I referred to Spot as primitive mostly to underscore my amazement with how fast the technology has moved along. When I first got my Spot I thought it was pretty damn cool, now I'm admittedly more spoiled. There are similar amazing things going on elsewhere in my cockpit though sadly none of them have very much to do with airmanship. We'll need yet another thread for that topic.

:-)

9B

I've got a question: does this app get along with igcRecorder (from Naviter)?
Also, what if I run XCSoar on my android (I don't usually do that, but
sometimes it comes in handy, especially in a club ship...)? I would guess
that multiple apps are supposed to share the GPS data, but one never knows.

Matt
Old September 26th 14, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Andy, I think we all agree. Technology has changed radically.
I've used SPOT since before there was a shared page, but it'll retire at the end of this subscription period.
InReach is a far better product and service for our needs. APRS does a great job too.
Jim
Old September 27th 14, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, September 26, 2014 6:32:34 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
Andy, I think we all agree. Technology has changed radically.

I've used SPOT since before there was a shared page, but it'll retire at the end of this subscription period.

InReach is a far better product and service for our needs. APRS does a great job too.

Jim

Please don't delete your SPOT/InReach info from the SSA web. The SSA web and Glideport.Aero are linked databases. If you are registered on both sites everything is sorted out behind the scenes with no issues. If you fly with two devices as I do, SPOT and GlideTrack, you will see two tracks. The SPOT track is low resolution and the GlideTrack Iphone app is high resolution. This winter hopefully modifications will be made to GlidePort to enable the low resolution track to be hidden unless needed.

Why keep the SPOT registered and on? For emergency purposes. The phone apps are great but they do not have the benefit of using overhead satellites. They also do not have the 911 feature. Please use GlideTrack on your smart phone for flight viewing and playback. Please continue to register and use a personal locator device for your safety in an emergency.

Pedja and I have discussed at length how each device has a purpose and they are not necessarily interchangeable. The smart phone apps will continue to mature and get better but they are not a substitution for a personal locator. Please replace your removed SSA SPOT registration so we may find you if you fail to return from a soaring adventure.

Stay Safe,
Lane
XF
Old September 27th 14, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Lane, I was seeing two tracks each time I flew with one SPOT. One from the glideport.aero registration and one from the SSA registration.
Pedja just responded to my request for APRS to be included in glideport.aero...
One of many things being worked on!
Jim
Old September 28th 14, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Lane and others using the iPhone app. How does it affect your battery life?

Having plenty of battery is always a concern for me if something bad happens.

Kevin
Old September 28th 14, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Jim, I also had multiple spot tracks before and it turned out I registered two different shared pages. I believe I fixed it by removing the registration from the GlidePort web site, not the SSA site.

Ramy
Old September 28th 14, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Evidently from Ramy's track on Friday... If the SPOT registration is removed from the glideport site the SSA registration still shows up on glideport.aero.
Jim

Old September 29th 14, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 28, 2014 10:30:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Lane and others using the iPhone app. How does it affect your battery life?

Having plenty of battery is always a concern for me if something bad happens.

Kevin

I initially was using an iPhone 4. The battery would be down to 20% after about three hours so I purchased an external battery to help out. Pedja suggested the iPhone 5's GPS was more efficient. I have since switched and now battery life is not an issue. The iPhone 6 has an altitude sensor in it.. I am hoping that will be integrated in the future for more stable altitude logging. Placing my order tonight while Verizon has a zero cost swap program going on.

Lane