An interesting eBay motors auction

Old January 1st 04, 03:25 PM
Mary Shafer

Default An interesting eBay motors auction

For those of you who got money for Christmas, here's something to
consider. I'd consider it myself, but it's a C and I want an E.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2451179065&category=26 428

You guys did see the aircraft carrier auction, didn't you?

Mary

Old January 1st 04, 04:20 PM
BOB URZ

Mary Shafer wrote:

For those of you who got money for Christmas, here's something to
consider. I'd consider it myself, but it's a C and I want an E.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2451179065&category=26 428

You guys did see the aircraft carrier auction, didn't you?

Mary

Interesting. But, i thought there was some law preventing the sale of US
jet fighter aircraft to private parties? Or is the law a urban legend?
I wonder if it has a DVD player in the second seat........

BOB

Old January 1st 04, 06:04 PM
Brian Colwell

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=2451179065&ca
tegory=26428

You guys did see the aircraft carrier auction, didn't you?

Mary

Boy.... That sure would be a topic of conversation, parked in the driveway
!!! :-))

BMC

Old January 1st 04, 07:07 PM
Michael Williamson

Brian Colwell wrote:
"Mary Shafer" wrote in message

For those of you who got money for Christmas, here's something to
consider. I'd consider it myself, but it's a C and I want an E.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=2451179065&ca
tegory=26428

You guys did see the aircraft carrier auction, didn't you?

Mary

Boy.... That sure would be a topic of conversation, parked in the driveway
!!! :-))

BMC

The local homeowners' association, or the zoning folks, would likely
have a fit- just no sense of humor...

Mike

Old January 1st 04, 07:12 PM
John A. Weeks III

In article , BOB URZ
wrote:

Interesting. But, i thought there was some law preventing the sale of US
jet fighter aircraft to private parties? Or is the law a urban legend?
I wonder if it has a DVD player in the second seat........

There are munitions laws that cover the sale of weapons, however,
many of these are relatively new. The F-4 is an old aircraft, and
it may have been sold privately prior to those laws going into
effect. Since then, combat aircraft that have been placed into
private hands have been de-mil'ed, which usually means that the
main spar has been cut, making future flight impossible. Note
that the F-4 in the auction is static-only, so perhaps it has
had the spar cut. There are other wasy for former military planes
to end up in private hands. One way is to purchase from a foriegn
country. A second way is to recover and restore a crash. A third
way is to build a plane from spare parts and training assemblies.
A forth way is to make a deal with one of the military museums to
trade for something that they want.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Old January 1st 04, 10:14 PM
B2431

From: BOB URZ

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2451179065

&category=26428

You guys did see the aircraft carrier auction, didn't you?

Mary

Interesting. But, i thought there was some law preventing the sale of US
jet fighter aircraft to private parties? Or is the law a urban legend?
I wonder if it has a DVD player in the second seat........

BOB

Demilled aircraft are legal for sale. The F-4C in question has it's spars cut
which demilled it. I am sure an enterprising individual could make it flyable
if he realy wanted to.

I still want an F-105.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old January 1st 04, 11:05 PM
Mary Shafer

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 10:20:24 -0600, BOB URZ
wrote:

Mary Shafer wrote:

For those of you who got money for Christmas, here's something to
consider. I'd consider it myself, but it's a C and I want an E.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2451179065&category=26 428

Interesting. But, i thought there was some law preventing the sale of US
jet fighter aircraft to private parties? Or is the law a urban legend?
I wonder if it has a DVD player in the second seat........

The spars have been cut, so the airplane is physically incapable of
being flown without falling apart. This is called "demilitarization".
I'm pretty sure the avionics and weapons system have also been
removed. I know the engines have been.

Mary

Old January 2nd 04, 12:23 AM
BOB URZ

wrote:

Mary Shafer wrote:

For those of you who got money for Christmas, here's something to
consider. I'd consider it myself, but it's a C and I want an E.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2451179065&category=26 428

Interesting. But, i thought there was some law preventing the sale of US
jet fighter aircraft to private parties? Or is the law a urban legend?
I wonder if it has a DVD player in the second seat........

The spars have been cut, so the airplane is physically incapable of
being flown without falling apart. This is called "demilitarization".
I'm pretty sure the avionics and weapons system have also been
removed. I know the engines have been.

Mary

Even if it has been demilled, I thought when the AF got rid of planes that
it required them to be totally cut up for scrap. And how would it have escaped
being a QF-4 drone?

Bob

Old January 2nd 04, 01:00 AM
B2431

From: BOB URZ
Date: 1/1/2004 6:23 PM Central Standard Time

wrote:

Mary Shafer wrote:

[...]

They only use them as drones until they either run out of spare parts or it
becomes to expensive to operate. The ones not used are cannibalized.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired