We Are All Spaniards

Old March 26th 04, 11:42 PM
Jay Honeck

Last week I heard that 70% of the Brits approved of the war. Was this
in error?

I think that was Iraqis.

NPR mentioned today that the Iraqi people have imported over half a million
new cars since the war's end -- the highest amount ever -- and they now face
a gasoline shortage for the first time. And oil exports have now rebounded
to a higher level than before the war, bringing over $1 billion per month
into the Iraqi treasury. .

Their economy is booming.

Of course, NPR mentioned this only in passing, with great reluctance. It
was almost like they were apologizing to their listeners for reporting
something good from Iraq. (They, of course, ended with reports of more
sabotage in the oil fields, just to placate the faithful...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 26th 04, 11:45 PM
Jay Honeck

What is it with transponders? They have to be the least reliable part on
any aircraft I've flown. They don't have lots of moving parts like a
gyro, yet they fail for the fun of it. ATC should just reply by default,
"N12345, not getting your transponder" whenever someone calls up.

I hear you!

That's why I sprang for the solid state Garmin GTX-327. Even LESS moving
parts.

Maybe it'll last a few years. So far it's been awesome. (By the time I've
punched in the fourth number of my squawk code, they are saying "radar
contact"...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 27th 04, 12:22 AM
Rosspilot

That's why I sprang for the solid state Garmin GTX-327. Even LESS moving
parts.

Maybe it'll last a few years. So far it's been awesome.

I love mine.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old March 27th 04, 01:06 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul Sengupta wrote:

If you and your wife want a cheapish holiday, you can get a cheap
flight to the UK and stay at my place! You're quite welcome. Only
35 mins from London on the train.

I thank you very much. We want to be sure to get there when The Globe is open.

Still, that was one of my "outs". If I lost my job, first thing I'd do
would be to sell the plane.

Yep. I've hung on a year longer than perhaps I should have.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 27th 04, 01:14 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul Sengupta wrote:

We saw an Austrian airliner with pictures of Austria's
most famous people through history...

We both noticed one glaring omission.

Well, they did say *famous*, not *infamous*.

Old March 27th 04, 01:16 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Dylan Smith wrote:

In article ,
Bob Noel wrote:
Have you watched any TV in the UK? 'nuff said.

Even worse, have you watched TV in the US? :-)

Not in the last 24 years.

Old March 27th 04, 01:18 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article , Dylan Smith
wrote:

Have you watched any TV in the UK? 'nuff said.

Even worse, have you watched TV in the US? :-)

less and less.

The local cable company has one month long trials of new channels here. One
month it was the BBC. They got 4 request's to keep the channel. That's out
of a subscribership of 600,000.

IAC, "200 channels and there's nothing on!!" . Good thing for DVD's or our
54" wide-screen TV's would be useless.

Old March 27th 04, 01:19 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
What is it with transponders? They have to be the least reliable part on
any aircraft I've flown. They don't have lots of moving parts like a
gyro, yet they fail for the fun of it. ATC should just reply by default,
"N12345, not getting your transponder" whenever someone calls up.

I hear you!

That's why I sprang for the solid state Garmin GTX-327. Even LESS moving
parts.

Maybe it'll last a few years. So far it's been awesome. (By the time

I've
punched in the fourth number of my squawk code, they are saying "radar
contact"...)

Transponder? Or telepathy?

Old March 27th 04, 03:00 AM
Bob Noel

In article , Martin Hotze
wrote:

Bob Noel wrote:

yeah, but we don't have to spend one billion dollar per week for
wargames.

Who is going to invade Austria?

we = Europe

so you claim to speak for Europe?

What other country would Austria help?

well (speaking of Austria), AFAIK the 4 nations that signed the treaty
would
have to (UK, France, US, Russia).

Austria would help the UK, France, US, and Russia? do what?

(I think you might have misunderstood, I wasn't asking who
would help Austria).

--
Bob Noel
Old March 27th 04, 03:45 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Dylan Smith wrote:

In article ,
Bob Noel wrote:
Have you watched any TV in the UK? 'nuff said.

Even worse, have you watched TV in the US? :-)

Not in the last 24 years.

Ya ain't missed nothin'!!