Health Regulations and the Sports License

Old September 19th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Default Health Regulations and the Sports License

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Sep 19, 2:22 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in oglegroups.com...

Usually the only time you send students to the FSDO to get a student
pilot certificate are
1) If they are already rated in another type of aircraft (Helo for
instance) and carry a "regular" FAA medical or

Correct me if somethng has recently changed, but in that situation you don't
need a student's license because you already hold a valid FAA license. You just
need a proper instructor's signoff to solo. I went through this process just a
few years ago when I converted from gliders to airplanes. Likewise, I signed
off several rated airplane pilots to solo gliders when I was instructing in
gliders.

Nope, if you want to solo an airplane I need to sign a student pilot
certificate in addition to the solo endorsement. Student pilots are
required to carry both in airplanes. I'm not sure what the rules are
for gliders.

Not the case for light sport. You need
a student certificate and a logbook
endorsement. My instructor (who is also
a light sport designated examiner) never
signed my FAA-issued student certificate.

Old September 19th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 19, 3:09 pm, Jim Stewart wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

Not the case for light sport. You need
a student certificate and a logbook
endorsement. My instructor (who is also
a light sport designated examiner) never
signed my FAA-issued student certificate.- Hide quoted text -

true

Old September 20th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LJ Blodgett

I think your fsdo sign your studentlicense.Things could have changed. LJ

Jim Stewart wrote:

Old September 20th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...

Nope, if you want to solo an airplane I need to sign a student pilot
certificate in addition to the solo endorsement. Student pilots are
required to carry both in airplanes. I'm not sure what the rules are
for gliders.

Cite?

Vaughn

Old September 20th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 19, 5:03 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in oglegroups.com...

Nope, if you want to solo an airplane I need to sign a student pilot
certificate in addition to the solo endorsement. Student pilots are
required to carry both in airplanes. I'm not sure what the rules are
for gliders.

Cite?

Vaughn

Sec. 61.87 Solo requirements for student pilots.^M
(n) Limitations on flight instructors authorizing solo flight. (1)
No^M
instructor may authorize a student pilot to perform a solo flight
unless that^M
instructor has--^M
(iv) Ensured that the student pilot's certificate has been endorsed by
an^M
instructor authorized to provide flight training for the specific make
and^M
model aircraft to be flown; and^M
(v) Endorsed the student pilot's logbook for the specific make and
model^M
aircraft to be flown, and that endorsement remains current for solo
flight^M
privileges, provided an authorized instructor updates the student's
logbook^M
every 90 days thereafter.^M

Notice it requires both the student pilot certificate to be signed and
the endorsement in the log.

-Robert

Old September 20th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 19, 2:27 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"LJ Blodgett" wrote in message

. ..
YOU are right,The FSDO wants to see a drivers license,plus

a form(taken off the internet)filled in and signed by a CFI.

You may not actually need a FSDO. I got my first student license from a
designee. Since I was a glider student, no medical was necessary.

Vaughn

Yes. In fact I recently had a student who's student pilot certificate
had expired (24 months) but the medical was still good (36 months). I
just asked the DE to sign the 8710 for the certificate "Student PIlot"
and he issued him a student pilot certificate w/o me going to the
FSDO.

-Robert

Old September 20th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 19, 5:03 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
oglegroups.com...

[...]

OK, but in this case you are dealing with a "student", but not a holder of a
student pilot's license because your "student" is already an FAA rated pilot.
Your "student" has no need to obtain a student pilot's certificate because
he/she is already a licensed pilot who is simply seeking an additional rating.
Since your "student" is does not hold a Student Pilot certificate, 61.87 does
not apply.

In this situation the applicable FAR is 61.31(d)(3) and the applicable CFI
signoff from AC 61-65E is # 63.

"To Act As PIC In An Aircraft in Solo Operations when the pilot does not hold an
Appropriate Category/Class Rating: Section 61.31 (d)(3)".

"I certify that __________________________ has received training as required by
section 61.31 (d)(3) to serve as PIC in a (category and class of aircraft). I
have determined that he/she is prepared to serve as PIC in that (make and model
of aircraft). "
(Date, Name, Certificate #, Exp date)

This is one of the most powerful signoffs that a CFI can make and it should
never be done lightly. I add time limits and geographical limits to the basic
signoff, because otherwise that person can go off and fly solo forever (in that
make and model) without ever getting another moment's instruction beyond some
sort of flight review.

Respectfully
Vaughn

Old September 20th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

We send Student Glider pilots to FSDO to get their Student Certificate. No
Medical required.
I would think that the LSA student would follow the same course of action.

BT

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 19, 11:05 am, LJ Blodgett wrote:
The CFI's are missing the boat.Go to your local faa(with a signoff)for a
student licence.Train in any plane,and know what sport pilot reg's are
and teach it to your CFI.He can sign for solo & etc.,under the spot
rules. If Im wrong,ForgetIt. LJ from riches to rags.

I'm not following you. In order to solo as a student pilot you have to
have a 3rd class medical unless you are a sport pilot applicant.
Usually the only time you send students to the FSDO to get a student
pilot certificate are
1) If they are already rated in another type of aircraft (Helo for
instance) and carry a "regular" FAA medical or
2) They are under 40 and their medical is still valid but their studen
tpilot certificate is expired.

-Robert, CFII

Old September 20th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"LJ Blodgett" wrote in message

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Robert,Hi YOU are right,The FSDO wants to see a drivers license,plus a
form(taken off the internet)filled in and signed by a CFI.No air med.P.S.
Unless s/he has been refused already. LJ

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here, but am very interested.

Can you lay it out a little more clearly for us, from the beginning?

The FSDO wants to see a form signed by a CFI, saying that you are interested
in going for the sport pilot rating? If that is the case, then are you
flying a plane that meets all of the requirements of a light sport plane?

If not, and it does not meet the requirements of a LSP, can you solo in it,
and take you final check ride in it, if it is not a sport plane?

I am interested, because there are not many options around here for taking
LSP lessons, from the area FBO's. If there is a way around this problem, I
would really be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 20th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Agreed Vaughn,,,, and that Flight Review can be in a different aircraft that
he holds a certificate for..
not the "additional category" that he as solo privileges in.

For my "Glider Add-On Students" that hold other ratings, I add the 90 day
restriction and also because of our "club operation", an instructor has to
be on the ground and know he is flying solo.

BT

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...