Cost of flight loggers

Old February 14th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default Cost of flight loggers

On Feb 14, 10:36*am, "Tim Mara" wrote:
actually....no.....in our smallish club with 20 or so members I know of only
one data-logger equipped glider (LX21) and it can't easily be just carried
along in any glider since it still requires external power connection and
the owner has the antenna more or less permanently mounted.....moving it
would not be a spur of the moment thing...and besides, if it's there the
owners there and wants to fly his glider (or he would stay home) and it runs
GPS data to his PDA

Another key point that Tim raises. It's hard to explain to someone
who might be part of a large club that there are literally scores of
clubs out there without a single IGC approved logger in the existing
fleet. It's not as if rich members are out there being selfish;
there just isn't a single one in the fleet of either club-owned or
private ships. Couple that with the issue than many of the units are
installed in the panel or in other semi-permanent settings, it does
become an issue for those "grass roots" organizations which we need to
encourage to grow to the next level.
Old February 14th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_2_]

How did we poor (my pay was around $10 per week, but
the armed forces do get cheap flying) pilots manage
nearly 50 years ago when I started gliding? The club
invested in a barograph from membership fees. Every
time anyone used it to claim a badge flight, they put
about $5 equivalent in a fund, and when it built up
enough bought another.

A simple (EW Microrecorder) is under $800. In todays
money, an extra $20 for a badge flight is less than
the round of beers you buy. 40 badge flights and you
can buy a second one. Pretty soon, you hold a club
meeting to decide what to buy next once there are enough
recorders.

Soaring is cheap compared to most other sports (if
you play golf too, how much did that bagful you tote
around cost? And as for boats.......)

Old February 15th 08, 09:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

On Feb 14, 10:42*pm, Peter Purdie
wrote:
snip

Soaring is cheap compared to most other sports (if
you play golf too, how much did that bagful you tote
around cost? And as for boats.......)

snip

There are ways and ways of doing other sports. In the UK (and I
presume the US) dinghy sailing can be a very cheap sport - $1,000 to
buy a second-hand boat, $100 per year for club membership and
insurance, and if it's a plastic boat the maintenance costs are very
low. The same with golf in Scotland - lots of municipal courses which
are relatively cheap. They don't have to be swanning around in a 50'
ketch or playing the Old Course.

When I started I compared the costs to night-clubbing for a smoker (I
do neither) and I reckon a nigh-clubber who smokes spends more on that
per year than I do on gliding, despite EASA and the rest of it. And I
have an asset I can sell (the golider!) unlike the night-cluber - what
price a hang-over?
Old February 19th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Burton

I keep seeing reference to COTS units replacing the camera and barograph for Gold-and-under badges.
NO! It will only replaces the camera. GPS altitude is not going to be accepted for height
verification. Hold onto your Winters.