Towplane accident at The Dalles, Oregon

Old September 18th 04, 05:51 PM
Marc Ramsey

Pete Reinhart wrote:
All,
I've seen the payout winch in the (flesh?, steel?)round.
It's mounted on the bak of a truck and is extremely well
thoght out. Even more intrigueing is that it appears to
be made out of "recycled parts".

Gary should write an article for soaring on it and offer
shematics or something.

This is the first I've heard of someone using a payout winch for our
kind of glider. I'm very curious, and hope Gary will provide more info
here. In particular, what are you using for a cable, how much cable is
out to start, how much is normally out at release, and what is the
typical launch height?

Marc

Old September 20th 04, 05:22 AM
Tom Stowers

Andy Blackburn wrote in message ...
My understanding is the airport manager told HCS that
they couldn't operate without business insurance. Apparently,
it was precipitated by an incident involving the HCS
oxygen cart and a taxiing aircraft.

It's a pity -- Tom and Bill have been ornaments to
the sport for so long.

9B

At 04:42 17 September 2004, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Lord Struthers wrote:
Two sitting idle at Minden, now that HCS is gone.
Rich

High Country Soaring is out of business? What happened?

--
Change 'netto' to 'net' to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Yes!! It's true After 22yrs and 25yrs on the airport HCS has closed

the doors. But NOT because of insurance, But for the last few years
the lack of business AND the NEW airport policy's and management. Al
L. and I have decided to close it down. I can no longer take the
stress on this airport. HCS is up For Sale and hopefully it will have
a new owner. I have moved in to town and have opened a new shop, I
will still be buying/selling and working on gliders. I will still be
hosting the Ely soaring camps in the years to come. I would like to
thank ALL of you for supporting HCS over the years.

Tom Stowers
Old September 20th 04, 03:12 PM
John Sinclair

The end of an era, Tom. I can't remember Minden without
HCS, holding region 11 pilots meetings in your hangar
as Billy worked away on Minden Fab trailers. Mountain
Mike covering my G-103 with black plastic to melt the
snow off, it's been a good run. Good luck in the future.
Minden won't be the same without you and Mansburger's
repair shop.
All the best,
JJ Sinclair

Old September 20th 04, 07:20 PM
Andy Blackburn

My apologies for the mis-information on HCS, Tom -
should've left it to you to reply. What I thought was
good authority was not.

Glad you guys won't be totally packing it in and that
you'll still be hosting the Ely camp.

Best of luck.

9B