Ventus 2b vs ASW27b ..Which is the better / nicer aircraft?

Old December 23rd 19, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default Ventus 2b vs ASW27b ..Which is the better / nicer aircraft?

Hypothetical situation:
Same condition
Same trailer
Same instruments and accessories
Which is the better ship for strong western thermal racing conditions?
Why?
Thanks in advance for those in the know!
Old December 23rd 19, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

The 27 has greater wing loading. It's a little faster in strong western conditions. Here's that same topic from 2009: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/ooy3UgY1amI
Old December 23rd 19, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 8:33:12 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Hypothetical situation:
Same condition
Same trailer
Same instruments and accessories
Which is the better ship for strong western thermal racing conditions?
Why?
Thanks in advance for those in the know!

I found myself faced with the same question three years ago between the Ventus 2b and the ASW27b. I had several friends with the ASW27, so I was inclined to buy a 27 too. After sitting in both cockpits, I found the Ventus 2b to be much more comfortable for my size - 6' 1" and 185lbs. I had much more leg room in the Ventus 2b and actually had to pull the pedals towards me for a comfortable fit. In the 27, I had to push the pedals out all the way and still couldn't extend my legs completely. So my decision was easy strictly based on comfort for long flights.

Michael 8U
Old December 23rd 19, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 5:51:41 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Six of one half dozen of another. I have owned and flown both SH and AS gliders. They have a different feel and different engineering ideas. Some like the easy of how SH gliders climb. Some like the finish engineering of AS and how they run, land short. My favorite glider ever was my Nimbus 4, just seemed how a glider should be in every way. I really hated the side hinged canopy on my V2C while assembling or if I wanted to leave open for a second while I retrieved something out of trailer or car. That V2C could climb on almost nothing and could run.
Old December 23rd 19, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

These ships are getting along in age.
Which ship has proven to have the more durable factory gelcoat?
AD's?
Old December 23rd 19, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Over a Beer ( surprising huh ) with Mocho he mentioned the 27B water ballast tanks. He said if they get a leak you have to tear into the wing to fix them.
Are they prone to leaking?
Old December 23rd 19, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

A question for Hank Nixon and other refinishers.
How much in 2020 to drop one of these planes off at your shop and get it Completely refinished? All the extras- total price ?
Thanks in advance!
Old December 23rd 19, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Opps
How much is a refinish in Poly?
Old December 23rd 19, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 8:00:45 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Over a Beer ( surprising huh ) with Mocho he mentioned the 27B water ballast tanks. He said if they get a leak you have to tear into the wing to fix them.
Are they prone to leaking?

Nick- My memory of that conversation (and those beers) is that I said the Ventus tanks sometimes need that kind of repair. I know of two Ventuses that had to have leaky tanks fixed. Never heard of the problem with the ASW-27.
Old December 23rd 19, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 10:04:18 AM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
A question for Hank Nixon and other refinishers.
How much in 2020 to drop one of these planes off at your shop and get it Completely refinished? All the extras- total price ?
Thanks in advance!

A good bet is to join a couple others and send to M&D or one of the other resources in Europe. I understand cost is about $30,000, plus portion of shipping.
I don't know who in the US is actively seeking refinish work. Maybe Williams in CA, Fidel in NM.
Ball park in the US is about $30K for the whole job if you can find an interested shop.
FWIW
UH

FS ASW27B HL Falbaum Soaring 3 December 20th 06 11:51 PM
Flying is so much nicer with avgas under $3 (USD) Ron Lee Piloting 20 November 27th 06 04:16 PM
ASW27B Ray Gimmey Soaring 1 November 4th 06 03:41 AM
ASW27B for Sale Sam Fly Soaring 0 September 13th 04 12:51 AM
FA EBAY: Evans Volksplane VP1 ( You won't find a nicer VP1) JR Home Built 7 June 16th 04 10:25 PM