TW Endorsement Completed

Old May 8th 05, 05:23 AM

Default TW Endorsement Completed

After about eight hours I completed the tailwheel endorsement today in
the SD. But it certainly wasn't routine as the wind was coming out of
the North at about 15kts gusting to about 20kts, and we were using
Runway 7. I noticed a strong weathervaning tendency while taxiing,
which required a lot more rudder than usual. But it was especially
strong once the wheels were off the ground and I had to work hard and
fast to counteract it and stay on the extended centerline. This would
have certainly been easier with a DG, but hey, who needs a DG or AI?

The trips around the pattern required every bit of concentration I
could muster due not only to an appreciable amount of turbulence due to
the ridges, but there were also a number of gliders and slower planes
in the pattern as well. In fact my first landing resulted in a go
around due to a glider that had yet to be removed from the runway.
Today also tested my crosswind abilities on approach and while the
landings weren't all pretty, they weren't too bad given the conditions.
Plus my girlfriend was watching from the ground so I'm sure that added
to the pressure. After about six trips around the pattern I was
completely exhausted. Earlier this week we did pattern work for two
hours and I walked away feeling a lot less whipped than I did today.

But my instructor told me that there was little more he could teach me
and that next time I could take it up solo. We'll probably resume acro
next lesson and maybe I'll take it up afterwards. Thanks to everyone in
the groups who provided encouragement and advice. I feel like a
post-solo private student again, and realize that I still have a lot to
learn.

Dave

Old May 8th 05, 05:36 AM
BTIZ

sounds great Dave..

always nice to see some crosswind during training...

where in SD where you that there were gliders there?

BT

ups.com...

Old May 8th 05, 05:41 AM

BTIZ,

Sorry, SD stands for Super Decathlon in this case.

Dave

Old May 8th 05, 11:52 AM
Cub Driver

On 7 May 2005 21:23:23 -0700, "
wrote:

the SD. But it certainly wasn't routine as the wind was coming out of
the North at about 15kts gusting to about 20kts, and we were using

You did good! I generally won't fly if the wind is such as to shake
the Cub on the ground, and that's well below 20 knots.

Indeed, I generally won't leave for the airport if the tree branches
are moving, which is about 15 mph in my experience.

A tailwheel endorsement locally is usually 8-10 hours. Pretty funny,
really, when you consider that Piper salesmen in the 1940s/1950s used
to persuade local businessmen to club together and buy a Cub by
proving how easy it was to learn to fly. This they would do by picking
out the local high-school athlete (figuring he had good reflexes) and
soloing him in one day.

(Presumably they picked a calm day!)

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old May 8th 05, 06:24 PM
BTIZ

A tailwheel endorsement locally is usually 8-10 hours. Pretty funny,
really, when you consider that Piper salesmen in the 1940s/1950s used
to persuade local businessmen to club together and buy a Cub by
proving how easy it was to learn to fly. This they would do by picking
out the local high-school athlete (figuring he had good reflexes) and
soloing him in one day.

(Presumably they picked a calm day!)

-- all the best, Dan Ford

Dan.. I did my first tailwheel in the same Cubs you fly at Hampton... I
already had my Pvt Rating... and it took about 3 hours.. but that was before
the days of "endorsements"

BT

Old May 8th 05, 07:10 PM
gregg

BTIZ wrote:

Dan.. I did my first tailwheel in the same Cubs you fly at Hampton... I
already had my Pvt Rating... and it took about 3 hours.. but that was
before the days of "endorsements"

BT

I started my TW endorsement late last Fall at the very same Hampton, in the
very same Cubs. Had to stop becasue even on clear calm days, it was far too
cold for the poor old J-3's.

Was sched to start again this weekend but a rowdy Northeaster put a stop to
that.

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Old May 8th 05, 11:53 PM
Dave Stadt

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
On 7 May 2005 21:23:23 -0700, "
wrote:

the SD. But it certainly wasn't routine as the wind was coming out of
the North at about 15kts gusting to about 20kts, and we were using

You did good! I generally won't fly if the wind is such as to shake
the Cub on the ground, and that's well below 20 knots.

Indeed, I generally won't leave for the airport if the tree branches
are moving, which is about 15 mph in my experience.

A tailwheel endorsement locally is usually 8-10 hours. Pretty funny,
really, when you consider that Piper salesmen in the 1940s/1950s used
to persuade local businessmen to club together and buy a Cub by
proving how easy it was to learn to fly. This they would do by picking
out the local high-school athlete (figuring he had good reflexes) and
soloing him in one day.

It wasn't a day it was more like 2 or 3 hours.