Customizing Sectionals

Old October 6th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default Customizing Sectionals

Here is a great link to a GIS mapping program that I found that can be used
to customize digital sectionals that are available from the FAA:

http://www.globalmapper.com/

You can download a demo version for free. This gives you 85% of the
functionality of the full package, which costs ~$250.

This program lets you open multiple sectionals and automatically pastes them
together using the graphic coordinates that are imbedded in the geo-tiff
sectional files. This is particularly useful in an area like Mpls / St.
Paul, which is at the corner of 4 sectionals. Using this program, you can
create a custom sectional that incorporates pieces of all 4 sectionals.

In addition, you can overlay the sectionals with other drawings (flight
plans, distance circles, etc.).

The main limitations of the demo version vs the paid version is:

1. You can't reopen saved workspaces.
2. You can't print to scale.
3. You can only open 4 sectionals (the full version lets you open more, but
you had better have a fast computer).

Have fun!
--
Mike Schumann

Old October 6th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Oct 6, 10:55 am, "Mike Schumann"
wrote:
Here is a great link to a GIS mapping program that I found that can be used
to customize digital sectionals that are available from the FAA:

http://www.globalmapper.com/

You can download a demo version for free. This gives you 85% of the
functionality of the full package, which costs ~$250.

BTW, the charts must be purchased from the FAA at:
http://www.naco.faa.gov/ecomp/Catalo...S+DIGITAL+DSEC
for $1.50 each or a DVD of half the US for $12.60.

There is also a product http://www.glideplan.com/ that is geared to
planning soaring flights. With some coaxing, maybe Matt will add some
stitching ability, and extend this product into a fully featured
electronic sectional chart system for use while flying. He is already
providing current scans for no additional charge, so it is already
legal to use in the cockpit. Note that so far, I think GlidePlan is
plent good enough to replace my paper charts, but better printing
options would turn it into a great product. Oh, there is a commercial
product available for about $100/yr that will do this as well, but it
is aimed at the airplane pilot so likely has many features most of us
would not be interested in.

Also at the FAA page is a Digital National Flight Database with all
airport inofrmation. It's not clear, but I asume all the frequency,
etc., info is there as well. It would be really cool if someone came up
with a scheme to take what is currently available at the Worldwide
Turnpoint exchange (http://soaring.aerobatics.ws/SOARING/JL/TP/) and
somehow update the airport portions of the available files with current
frequency info. Heck, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable subscription
rate to know that the comments field in my GNII database is current, as
this would be yet another reason to keep the sectional chart tucked
safely behind my elbow.

-Tom

Old October 7th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Haluza

John Liebacher has made the FAA airport database available at:

http://soaring.aerobatics.ws/TP/FAA

If you have SeeYou, you can load this database, then overlay your
turnpoints, and reject nearby duplicates. This will update the airport
data in your exiting turnpoint database, plus give you landout airports
for the whole country. You can then trim this down as much as you like.

Old October 7th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Doug Haluza wrote:
John Liebacher has made the FAA airport database available at:

http://soaring.aerobatics.ws/TP/FAA

If you have SeeYou, you can load this database, then overlay your
turnpoints, and reject nearby duplicates. This will update the airport
data in your exiting turnpoint database, plus give you landout airports
for the whole country. You can then trim this down as much as you like.

You may not need SeeYou, as John may have a version for GNII. The SeeYou
version does include the frequencies, runway width, fuel availability
(for motorgliders, of course). Some formats have smaller
comment/description fields and may not have all info.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old October 7th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Eric Greenwell wrote:

You may not need SeeYou, as John may have a version for GNII. The SeeYou
version does include the frequencies, runway width, fuel availability
(for motorgliders, of course). Some formats have smaller
comment/description fields and may not have all info.

I didn't see a version for GNII or for Garmin. My almost new but now
obsolete 396 does not include private fields so hope John adds a Garmin
compatible format one day.

Andy

Old October 7th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

If you open the SeeYou version or the US Airport Database in SeeYou, or the
StrePla version in StrePla, you can then export waypoint files for use in
Glide Navigator II or transfer waypoints to a Garmin (I think). I create
Glide Navigator II files using SeeYou often. It works great.

Paul Remde

"Andy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old October 7th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BB

Which of these programs will allow me to make maps for contests --
import the turnpoint database, overlay on a sectional, then print out
the relevant area, perhaps at a different scale?

John Cochrane BB

Old October 8th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At a major contest this summer, the file supplied by the organizers had
only the TPs in it; no other airports, public or private. Call me old
fashioned but I remember in the dim dawn of the GPS era when the
official contest DB had at least the airports on the sectional and
often other landing spots as well. Some intrepid pilots apparently flew
the contest with this but since landing spots were not always plentiful
in certain task areas, I wanted all the airports showing in GNII.

I used Excel to open the US Airport Database and sort the data,
selected an area covering the contest envelope and trimmed it, arranged
it in the correct columns and formats, and added waypoint numbers.
After I imported this into the organizers' file, I had to delete all
the duplicate airports that were also TPs. I also had to edit the
comments to make sure the stuff I wanted to see in GNII came up first
(freqs. and runway headings).

QUESTION: Could I have used SeeYou for this?

I did use SeeYou to upload the resulting waypoint file directly to a
Garmin GPS/MAP 76 (my backup GPS/logger).

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Old October 8th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Doug Haluza wrote:
John Liebacher has made the FAA airport database available at:

http://soaring.aerobatics.ws/TP/FAA

If you have SeeYou, you can load this database, then overlay your
turnpoints, and reject nearby duplicates. This will update the airport
data in your exiting turnpoint database, plus give you landout airports
for the whole country. You can then trim this down as much as you like.

You may not need SeeYou, as John may have a version for GNII. The SeeYou
version does include the frequencies, runway width, fuel availability
(for motorgliders, of course). Some formats have smaller
comment/description fields and may not have all info.

I just tried exporting to a Cambridge DAT format, and the radio
frequencies are not exported, though the runway width and fuel show up
in the comments field.

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Sectionals Simulators 1 July 21st 06 12:45 AM
Purchased sectionals i dont need ( do you need them?) Troy Towner Aviation Marketplace 0 June 12th 04 10:20 PM
class C and B comms on sectionals? Magnus Piloting 31 April 27th 04 09:49 PM
AVIATIONTOOLBOX: Christmas sectionals are here and rsync-able. Kyler Laird General Aviation 4 January 1st 04 05:11 AM
Old Iowa City Sectionals on line! Jay Honeck Piloting 4 December 17th 03 09:59 PM