Nellis? Hpw come....?

Old July 21st 03, 12:03 PM
John Carrier

" We're not "In the Loop" and we know it. He's not "In the Loop" but he
doesn't know it:-). I think its been the experience of the people in
the group that they have seen many people at bases about to be "BRACed"
talking about how they KNEW they would not be closed. Boom, the list
comes out and they're on it. The DOD is famous for building nice new
facilities on bases that get BRACed the next year.

I don't think there are many people "in the loop" period ... certainly no
one who regularly visits this newsgroup. OTOH, some of us have BRAC
experience (in my case 91, 93, and 95) so we're intimately familiar with the
process and how the players were arranged on the field in the past.

The logic that placed various facilities on BRAC lists in the past was not
always very logical (one of my favorites is relocating the Navy's mine
warfare assets at Ingleside, TX where they're nowhere near the forces
they're supposed to support). The logic for 2005 will be centered at
SecDef, not the service secretaries ... that'll alter the game.

Some rules have changed. Perhaps most significant is that closed bases do
no have to be turned over to their local communities for reuse. They can
just turn off the lights, padlock the gate and mothball the site. A nice
death penalty for the community.

R / John

Old July 21st 03, 07:06 PM
Leadfoot

Thanks for the update. When I was in (75-81) the base commander worked for
the Wing King who wrote his OER. Generally the Wing commnader however gave
the base commander a free hand in how he ran things

"C Knowles" wrote in message
. ..
They have seriously changed things, about ten years ago in the "big reorg"
under McPeak. We seem to have followed the Navy's idea of putting everyone
on a base under one person (CAG vs. the captain). Instead of having two
colonels (one base commander, one wing commander) with different

priorities
the base commander billet was eliminated. The wing commander is in charge

of
all functions on the base. A wing is divided into groups- operations,
mission support, logistics, maintenance, medical, etc. These have been

fine
tuned recently as maintenance was not a group before but fell under
logistics. It works well in that there is less confusion about who works
for who. The down side is that the WG/CC has less to do with operations

and
maintenance, leaving most of that up to the group commanders.
Tenant units that do not fall under the host wing generally take care of
their own mission but, when it comes to base issues, still follow

direction
from the wing commander.

Curt

"Leadfoot" wrote in message
The base commander is the wing commander,

Unless they have seriously changed things since I got out I don't think

so.
Normally the base commander is a colonel who reports to the wing

commander.
The base commander is in charge of the base itself. Security Police/Law
Enforcement, Civil engineering, Housing, Personnel, Communications,
Supply/POL

Old July 21st 03, 11:27 PM
BUFDRVR

Tenant units that do not fall under the host wing generally take care of
their own mission but, when it comes to base issues, still follow direction
from the wing commander.

Which includes units such as numbered Air Forces. Kind of strange an O-6 can
tell an O-9, who's directly above him in the chain of command, where and how
his HQ will be supported. Now I'm sure theres a little "give and take", but
ultimately the WG/CC controls how, when and where the HQ for a numbered Air
Force is supported.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old July 22nd 03, 03:21 AM
C Knowles

My previous assignment was at Travis, in the 60AMW and then at HQ 15AF.

I certainly wasn't in THAT loop but it didn't seem to be that big of a deal;
the NAF really doesn't require that much support. The biggest tussle seemed
to be over personnel moves. NAF would demand a certain person for a job, the
wing didn't want to give them up... Usually solved over a beer at the
generic, I mean, all-ranks club (wait till Art reads this). Protocol being
what it is, and since the NAF would be down to administer an ASEV to the
wing sooner or later, I'm sure the WG/CC was always happy to keep the NAF/CC
happy.

Curt

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
Tenant units that do not fall under the host wing generally take care of
their own mission but, when it comes to base issues, still follow

direction
from the wing commander.

Which includes units such as numbered Air Forces. Kind of strange an O-6

can
tell an O-9, who's directly above him in the chain of command, where and

how
his HQ will be supported. Now I'm sure theres a little "give and take",

but
ultimately the WG/CC controls how, when and where the HQ for a numbered

Air
Force is supported.

BUFDRVR

"Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it

harelips
everyone on Bear Creek"

Old July 24th 03, 04:40 AM
Ragnar

"Walt BJ" wrote in message
om...
Anybody with military experience and a lick of sense can come up with
plenty of bases for BRAC to take a cold hard look at. And Goodfellow
is certainly one of them.

Sure it is. But its a moot point since there isn't any list yet.

Old July 30th 03, 05:38 AM
Les Matheson

Oh my, how things have changed.

No more base CC, "One Wing, One Boss" is the mantra of the modern Air Force.

Les

wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:46:20 GMT, "C Knowles"
wrote:

The base commander is the wing commander,
WG/CC

Unless USAF has seriously changed the structure of a wing since I
retired in '84, there is both a Base Commander and his boss, the Wing
King.

Phil Brandt
TAC puke (Ret.)

.