Reno Air Races -- 2600 Miles in 2 Days!

Old September 22nd 04, 10:18 PM
Jay Honeck

I see what you're saying now, and it's a viable question.

Big Snip

I think it's safe to say that we all agree on this one point:

More training = Higher proficiency.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 22nd 04, 11:34 PM
MLenoch

From: "Dudley Henriques"

To address your question specifically, let me direct my answer to the
Thunderbird ADS training program; something of which I'm fairly
familiar

Sidebar: Do you know Gen. Wood?
Thx,
VL
Old September 23rd 04, 12:03 AM
Dudley Henriques

From: "Dudley Henriques"

To address your question specifically, let me direct my answer to the
Thunderbird ADS training program; something of which I'm fairly
familiar

Sidebar: Do you know Gen. Wood?
Thx,
VL

Nope. Bill Creech at Tac in 82 was the last TB associated General for me
personally.
Dudley

Old September 23rd 04, 01:20 AM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
Which is why, as I've said all along: The only good cat is a tennis
racquet.
;-)

I often say the same thing about children

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old September 23rd 04, 02:26 AM
Bob Fry

"Mike Rapoport" writes:

It is amazing that something so small can get away
with being so demanding and arrogant.

Like Napolean. Or another well-known current "leader".
Old September 23rd 04, 06:02 PM
Javier Henderson

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Clearly, he is in charge. Last night I got up at 2am to let him out. I

got
up again at 5:30am to let him in. I am now working while he is snoring

away
on the bed. When I am done working to buy his food, I will go out and mow
his hunting grounds. It is amazing that something so small can get away
with being so demanding and arrogant.

Which is why, as I've said all along: The only good cat is a tennis
racquet.

Or a violin, perhaps?

-jav
Old September 24th 04, 12:54 AM
Paul Sengupta

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
link.net...
The context of this issue as I opened the issue (increase of basic
piloting skills ) shouldn't be concentrated on the instrument side of
the equation. It should be directed more toward the benefits derived
from an ongoing concentrated training regimen that results in training
exposure and more importantly and specifically, residual benefit from
exposure and practice.
For example; after a concentrated period of instrument training, you
should naturally develop a better sense and execution for your basic
piloting skills. This is a residual effect of such training.

much snipped

Hope this helps a bit.

Yes, thanks for all that. I don't know, maybe it's just me. Looking at
this from a personal perspective, I suppose that since I did my IMC
rating (UK mini-IR) only a year after doing my PPL, I can't really
remember what my flying was like before I started the intrument training.
I can remember not feeling so different about my VFR flying at the
time, though I had added all the instrument strings to my bow.

A similar thing happened recently. I underwent a formation flying
course leading to taking part in an 18-ship formation. I was told that
the formation flying would sharpen up my flying skills and make me
a more precise pilot. But I'm not. Or at least I don't think I am. I fly
along exactly as I did before. I have a bit of a warm glow that I've
added yet another string to my bow, but my "normal" flying doesn't
feel any different. Maybe it's just the way I feel.

I've always wanted to do some basic aerobatics so that I could
sharpen up my handling skills and learn more about the handling of
my plane. I haven't yet, but I've been exploring the edges of the
envelope in other ways (admittedly some of it with an instructor!).
I'll have to wait until I've taken a bit of aerobatics training until I
pass judgement on this one, though I suspect it will do more than the
things mentioned above.

Maybe it's all part of the general experience I've been gaining since
obtaining my PPL. Every flight I do I feel I learn something from...
even if it's something I knew before but have forgotten that I knew.
I feel that the experience gained in one regime of flight (say VFR
cross country) is more valuable to that regime than experience
gained in some other regime.

Maybe as you say, everything just adds a bit to that knowledge and
experience bank, with any sort of intense training paying in at a
greater rate.

This thread has made me think!

Regards,
Paul

Old September 24th 04, 01:46 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message

This thread has made me think!

Thinking is the road to becoming a better pilot. You think about what
you will do....you do it..........you think about what you did......you
think about the results of what you did.......then you assess, self
evaluate, and adjust if necessary.
It's a constant process that never ends for those of us who actually do
become better pilots. Unfortunately, there are some of us who don't self
evaluate in this manner. Although they do become better through practice
and training alone, they're not nearly as better pilots as they could
have been had they coupled that added training and experience with the
process of self evaluation I'm speaking about here.
Any concentrated continuous training process will make you better at
what you're doing, but the REALLY good pilots, the ones who make it to
perform at levels "above the rest" so to speak, are those pilots who are
constantly learning........practicing........self evaluating......and
"thinking" about how to be a better at what they're doing!
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Flight Instructor/Aerobatics/Retired

Old September 25th 04, 03:48 PM
Peter R.

john smith wrote:

You might want to consider pressure system flying if the alignments are
close to your eventual destination.

Could you elaborate on this? I think I know what you mean, but this is
the first time I read of this concept.

--
Peter

Reno Air Races Ron Owning 0 March 11th 04 08:39 PM
FA: INSIDE THE RENO AIR RACES The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 October 1st 03 01:55 AM
Aviation photography website (Reno Air Races, Duxford Flying Legends and more ...) Gilan Home Built 2 July 26th 03 08:46 PM
Aviation photography website (Reno Air Races, Duxford Flying Legendsand more ...) dth Owning 0 July 25th 03 04:39 PM