PowerFlarm Brick - Can it send GPS sentences to SN10B?

Old June 16th 12, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm Brick - Can it send GPS sentences to SN10B?

Trying to install PF Sat 06/16/12 before flight testing Sunday.

PF sends NMEA sentences by default at 19200 on the DB9 serial connector. The SN10B manual says it must receive at 4800baud. Which device needs to be set? Is there a way to change to DB9 serial output on the PF (possibly through config file)? Or, will the SN10B "hear it" on the RX line at 19200?

Sent same message to Dave Nadler... yet, he may be too busy right now at the Nationals.

I'd prefer to drive the SN10B with the PF because then I can receive an IGC logger file from the SN10B. This provides a backup to my currently installed Volkslogger.

Walt Rogers, WX

Walt Rogers, WX
Old June 16th 12, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, June 15, 2012 10:56:21 PM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:
Trying to install PF Sat 06/16/12 before flight testing Sunday.

PF sends NMEA sentences by default at 19200 on the DB9 serial connector. The SN10B manual says it must receive at 4800baud. Which device needs to be set? Is there a way to change to DB9 serial output on the PF (possibly through config file)? Or, will the SN10B "hear it" on the RX line at 19200?

Sent same message to Dave Nadler... yet, he may be too busy right now at the Nationals.

I'd prefer to drive the SN10B with the PF because then I can receive an IGC logger file from the SN10B. This provides a backup to my currently installed Volkslogger.

Walt Rogers, WX

Walt Rogers, WX

Well all will work as long as they match, but you probably want the SN10B receiving serial data at 19200 since at slower speeds the PowerFLARM cannot put traffic data into the NMEA stream. Make sure you have updated SN10B firmware. I suspect you have an old manual or are not factoring in changes in SN10 firmware updates.

Be careful what you think the ILEC flight recorder file might be good for. It not IGC approved (e.g. no SSA/FAI badges, records, contests) and I'm not sure if its accepted by the OLC. It may be but the OLC documentation for approved devices/software does not list it, but that documentation is often a mess.

Darryl
Old June 16th 12, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, June 15, 2012 11:16:41 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Walt make sure you are starting with at least somewhat current SN10 firmware. See http://www.ilec-gmbh.com/downloads_sw.html

Darryl
Old June 16th 12, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Be careful what you think the ILEC flight recorder file might be good for. It not IGC approved (e.g. no SSA/FAI badges, records, contests)

Ilec SN10 is ok for US contests at all levels, no matter what GPS is
feeding it.

John Cochrane
Old June 16th 12, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Saturday, June 16, 2012 8:15:02 AM UTC-5, John Cochrane wrote:

Be careful what you think the ILEC flight recorder file might be good for. It not IGC approved (e.g. no SSA/FAI badges, records, contests)

Ilec SN10 is ok for US contests at all levels, no matter what GPS is
feeding it.

John Cochrane

And works fine for OLC.

Kirk
66
Old June 16th 12, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

"WaltWX" wrote in message
Trying to install PF Sat 06/16/12 before flight testing Sunday.

PF sends NMEA sentences by default at 19200 on the DB9 serial connector. The
SN10B manual says it must receive at 4800baud. Which device needs to be set?
Is there a way to change to DB9 serial output on the PF (possibly through
config file)? Or, will the SN10B "hear it" on the RX line at 19200?

Sent same message to Dave Nadler... yet, he may be too busy right now at the
Nationals.

I'd prefer to drive the SN10B with the PF because then I can receive an IGC
logger file from the SN10B. This provides a backup to my currently installed
Volkslogger.

Walt Rogers, WX

Walt Rogers, WX

_______________________
Hi Walt,

The most recent SN10 software upgrades (for a few years) support the option
to set the SN10 to receive GPS data at 19200 baud and send it out to another
device at 19200 baud. So upgrade your SN10 software (if you haven't
already) and setup the SN10 options to receive GPS data at 19200 baud. It
is not the default.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old June 16th 12, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Jun 16, 7:44*am, "kirk.stant"
And works fine for OLC.

Kirk
66

Not necessarily, May work for regular OLC, but not for league
points.
Old June 16th 12, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, June 15, 2012 10:56:21 PM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:
Trying to install PF Sat 06/16/12 before flight testing Sunday.

PF sends NMEA sentences by default at 19200 on the DB9 serial connector. The SN10B manual says it must receive at 4800baud. Which device needs to be set? Is there a way to change to DB9 serial output on the PF (possibly through config file)? Or, will the SN10B "hear it" on the RX line at 19200?

Sent same message to Dave Nadler... yet, he may be too busy right now at the Nationals.

I'd prefer to drive the SN10B with the PF because then I can receive an IGC logger file from the SN10B. This provides a backup to my currently installed Volkslogger.

Walt Rogers, WX

Walt Rogers, WX

Walt:

(1) You need to enable PowerFLARM brick NMEA output on DB9 port.
See configuration documentation he
http://powerflarm.us/manuals-softwar...release-notes/
PowerFLARM baud rate defaults to 19200

(2) Set SN10 NMEA input speed to 19200 on "Options 1" page.
I know, manual doesn't yet show this option.

(3) In my Antares, I installed the 1090 antenna in instrument
pedestal (vertical orientation, away from as much metal stuff
as possible). Transponder signals are much more powerful
so this antenna is not so critical as FLARM antenna.

I think that covers all your questions,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

PS: Sorry, I'm a bit behind on emails...
Old June 16th 12, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Dave,

You answered all my questions. Thanks to everyone for your prompt replies....

I do have the latest SN10B firmware (237x1). My apologies for not reviewing all the release notes since the manual was published. I hadn't checked the the actual OPTIONS page on that version. Will be setting it to receive at 19200.

Plans are to use the SN10 igc logger for ease of retrieval and at contests (Phil Gaisford will be flying WX at Montague next weekend). The Volkslogger is under the panel and will be silently recording a certified igc log file.. Tomorrow hope to test this out and make sure my "antenna farm" on the panel is working.

Walt, WX

Old June 16th 12, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Tim Taylor wrote:
On Jun 16, 7:44 am, "kirk.stant"
And works fine for OLC.

Kirk
66

Not necessarily, May work for regular OLC, but not for league
points.

Or any motorglider/sustainer OLC flights. Sure wish the OLC had a simple up
to date table of what devices qualified for what.

Darryl