Medical Exam

Old October 6th 04, 08:06 PM
John Huthmaker

Default Medical Exam

Hello Group,

What should I expect at my Class C medical exam. Will it be a full
physical, pee test, etc? Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks,
John

--
John Huthmaker
UOP-Class of 2007

Old October 6th 04, 08:39 PM
'Vejita' S. Cousin

In article .net,
What should I expect at my Class C medical exam. Will it be a full
physical, pee test, etc? Any advice would be very helpful.

I'm going to assume based on your email address that you're in the USA
and asking about a class III, aka third class medical exam. If so there's
no really much to it. You fill out a form asking if you have any major
illnesses, history of kidney stones, depression, suicide, etc. Then a
very quick medical exam (four limbs, 2 eyes, able to speak/understand
english, hearing test (whisper from across room), vision test, and urine
dip). The urine dip test is for glucose, protein, ketones, etc. It is
not a drug screen or tox test.
You might want to look at the rec.aviation.student group for more
info, esp if you're just starting out. The medical exam is really no big
deal for most people.
However, remember that this is an AME and NOT your private physican,
he's working for the FAA not you. Much like an exam for insurance you do
not want to volunteer information that is not requested or needed. Do not
lie, but don't talk about that one time in the summer of 1972 that you
passed out from heat stroke either
Old October 6th 04, 11:37 PM
Arnold Sten

'Vejita' S. Cousin wrote:
In article .net,

[...]

Hmmmm, If the AME is working for the FAA, then why did I have to shell
out $85.00 in cash to pay the man (checks or credit cards not accepted).
Old October 7th 04, 12:05 AM
Bob Gardner

He is DESIGNATED by the FAA, not compensated by them, so you can't say that
he works for them.

Bob Gardner

"Arnold Sten" wrote in message
In article .net,

Old October 7th 04, 12:42 AM
BTIZ

I've never heard of a Class C medical exam in the US... so how can you
assume he means US Class III?
Of course.. it does look like a Univ of Phoenix email address.. but they are
not necessarily in Phoenix.

BT

In article .net,

Old October 7th 04, 10:35 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:06:08 GMT, "John Huthmaker"
wrote:

What should I expect at my Class C medical exam. Will it be a full
physical, pee test, etc? Any advice would be very helpful.

Definitely a urine sample! My doc tested me (this was six years ago)
for balance, hearing, vision (including peripheral) using very
old-doctor tests such as the army used in WWII. (Stand on one leg,
whisper, eye chart at the end of the hallway, move hands into view
from behind and to the sides.) Blood pressure.

You might want to download or otherwise obtain a copy of the form you
must fill out. This will enable you to research matters if, for
example, you have visited several doctors within the past three years.
You will also provide a list of all medications you take.

(Class C? I thought it was Class III!)
all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! www.vivabush.org
Old October 7th 04, 10:37 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:37:54 -0400, Arnold Sten
wrote:

Hmmmm, If the AME is working for the FAA, then why did I have to shell
out $85.00 in cash to pay the man (checks or credit cards not accepted).

Because this is America, for crying out loud! You pay for the AME
under the same logic you pay for a 37-cent stamp. The guvmint provides
a service; you pay for it. Seems fair to me.

Old October 7th 04, 07:04 PM
Newps

Cub Driver wrote:

You might want to download or otherwise obtain a copy of the form you
must fill out. This will enable you to research matters if, for
example, you have visited several doctors within the past three years.
You will also provide a list of all medications you take.

Had my physical tuesday. Since I'm not yet 40 my last class 2 physical
was two years ago. I had gone to the doctor at some point in those last
two years for a cold or something, had no idea when I went, although I
think it was sometime in 2003. On the form you just write down Jan 1st
of the year you went. That's all they need, it's the default for the
computer.