$640.00 to fill the tanks...

Old August 16th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

Default $640.00 to fill the tanks...

Jay Honeck wrote:
Tony Snow, "technical advisor" for our aviation video webpage (Tony is
retired RAF, and has forgotten more about aviation than I'll ever
know), confirmed for me today that it would cost $640+ for me to top
off Atlas -- our Cherokee Pathfinder -- in Great Britain.

Imagine! $640 to go fly! This *might* explain why there are only 9
registered Cherokee 235s in all of Britain, no?

Not to worry, however. Tony has confirmed that the streets in his
hometown *are* paved with gold, and that everyone eats steak daily, for
free, thanks to the taxes those remaining 9 pilots are paying...

Petrol here is $7.92 (NZ) per gallon.
AFAIK we don't have any Pathfinders :-)

Old August 16th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

"george" wrote in message ps.com...
:
: Jay Honeck wrote:
: Tony Snow, "technical advisor" for our aviation video webpage (Tony is
: retired RAF, and has forgotten more about aviation than I'll ever
: know), confirmed for me today that it would cost $640+ for me to top
: off Atlas -- our Cherokee Pathfinder -- in Great Britain.
:
: Imagine! $640 to go fly! This *might* explain why there are only 9
: registered Cherokee 235s in all of Britain, no?
:
: Not to worry, however. Tony has confirmed that the streets in his
: hometown *are* paved with gold, and that everyone eats steak daily, for
: free, thanks to the taxes those remaining 9 pilots are paying...
:
: Petrol here is $7.92 (NZ) per gallon.
: AFAIK we don't have any Pathfinders :-)
:

Are those Imperial gallons or are they US gallons?

Old August 16th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

".Blueskies." wrote in message
m...

"george" wrote in message
ps.com...
:
: Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Yeah, and how much is that in real money?

Old August 16th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony Cox

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message

".Blueskies." wrote in message
m...

"george" wrote in message
ps.com...
:
: Petrol here is $7.92 (NZ) per gallon.
: AFAIK we don't have any Pathfinders :-)
:

Are those Imperial gallons or are they US gallons?

Yeah, and how much is that in real money?

Why, that'll be 0.88 euro/liter ;-)

Old August 16th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

"george" wrote in message
ps.com...

Jay Honeck wrote:
Tony Snow, "technical advisor" for our aviation video webpage (Tony is
retired RAF, and has forgotten more about aviation than I'll ever
know), confirmed for me today that it would cost $640+ for me to top
off Atlas -- our Cherokee Pathfinder -- in Great Britain.

Imagine! $640 to go fly! This *might* explain why there are only 9
registered Cherokee 235s in all of Britain, no?

Not to worry, however. Tony has confirmed that the streets in his
hometown *are* paved with gold, and that everyone eats steak daily, for
free, thanks to the taxes those remaining 9 pilots are paying...

Petrol here is $7.92 (NZ) per gallon.
AFAIK we don't have any Pathfinders :-)

Off topic, but what is the price of diesel fuel in Kiwi land, and is
biodiesel getting popular there?

Old August 16th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 20:47:54 +0100, "David Wright"
wrote:
Okay, I jest - the trains are good - but only because
the entire country is small enough to drive from one
end to the other in about 14 hours, and from one side
to the other in about 6

Damn, it takes about 15 hours just to drive across Texas... And about
18 hours to drive the length of the state... Both are about 900 miles,
but the driving the length of the state involves a few more
non-interstate type roads...
Old August 17th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Show me who qualifies for medicaid and can afford to fly at the same
time.

If you can afford to fly, you are paying for your health care whether
you live in the U.S. or in Europe. In Europe you give the gov't money
to pay for your healthcare, in the U.S. you give the insurance company
money to pay for your healthcare.
In both cases, if you don't have money, the gov't picks up the tab.
-Robert

Old August 17th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

RST Engineering wrote:
I beg to differ. I am a product of CSU-San Diego and teach at Sierra
Community College in Rocklin and Grass Valley. The smart ones go to the CCS
to get their lower division classes at $24 a semester unit and, upon
graduation with a B average, a guaranteed slot in either the CSU or UC
system for their upper division and graduate work.

True. But that aside, the fact is if you are not able to get accepted
to a university, the community college system will take you.

-Robert

Old August 17th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

RST Engineering wrote:
I beg to differ. I am a product of CSU-San Diego and teach at Sierra
Community College in Rocklin and Grass Valley. The smart ones go to the CCS
to get their lower division classes at $24 a semester unit and, upon
graduation with a B average, a

Oh, so smart ones don't just hop right into a university out of high
school? That's a bizarre way of thinking, but if it makes the community
college people feel better, it's ok, I guess.
Old August 17th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Right. Of course, in the US, Jet-A (diesel) is just about the same
price, or even a bit higher, than avgas.

Which is, of course, as it should be, without government social
engineering. It's also why Thielert hasn't gained any traction here.

How do you come to that conclusion? Jet fuel is lower on the distillation
scale, and should be easier to distill from oil, and get a bit more per
barrel than Avgas. Add to that economy of scale, and it should be much less
expensive.
--
Jim in NC