GA is priceless

Old December 28th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default GA is priceless

We just returned from a quick, overnight flight to Wisconsin, to attend
a holiday gathering of family and friends, and I simply couldn't help
but remark on the incredible utility and convenience of GA.

In 90 minutes (as opposed to 5.5 hours) we were parked on the ramp in
Racine, plugging Atlas in for the night. Twenty minutes later, we were
sipping egg nog and enjoying the warmth of the holiday spirit with
Mary's family.

Today, we slept in late, enjoyed a late brunch with friends, and flew
home in 100 minutes. The kids were back home, playing with their new
games, 20 minutes after we landed.

3 hours and 10 minutes of enjoyable, XM-radio-enhanced flight, versus
11 hours of mind-numbing driving through aggravating Chicago-area
traffic. God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 28th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...

Would you really want Joe Sixpack on approach doing his lipstick with a
cellphone in his ear?

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old December 28th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

Couldn't agree with you more Jay. 4 hours in the Aztec not only saved us 19
hours of driving, but made our holiday travel possible. We simply wouldn't
have driven.
Jim

Old December 28th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Jose wrote:

God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...

Would you really want Joe Sixpack on approach doing his lipstick with a
cellphone in his ear?

Jose

Darwin would take care of that!
Old December 28th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Jim Burns" wrote)
Couldn't agree with you more Jay. 4 hours in the Aztec not only saved us
19 hours of driving, but made our holiday travel possible.

If it had been better flying weather, would you have crossed Lake Michigan
in your Aztec?

What's that flight, in hours?

Montblack

Old December 28th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

The only downside of the trip is that it was in fact to RACINE, not exactly
the most scenic world attraction.

It kind of makes Kenosha look like the Taj Mahal. However, if you ever get
stuck or weathered in, you always have a place to put Atlas in our hangar at
Waukesha (also not a great tourist attraction)

Have a great holiday.

Old December 28th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Agree as well. We spent Thanksgiving in Santa Fe- six hours flying time,
which was actually less than commercial, especially considering the
connections, need to park at the airport, security checks, lost luggage,
etc.

I was actually able to bring my own can of shaving cream and a leatherman on
the plane!

Old December 28th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

I had to drive to Oregon a couple of months ago. I hated every minute of it.
12 hours to get there and 13 to get back. I flew the Bonaza a few weeks
earlier 3.5 there and 5 to get back. I had some stong winds and we stopped
to eat..I wont drive again.
oups.com...

Old December 28th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

We just returned from a quick, overnight flight to Wisconsin, to attend
a holiday gathering of family and friends, and I simply couldn't help
but remark on the incredible utility and convenience of GA.

Had the weather been bad, GA would have been useless to you. General
aviation isn't consistently useful and convenient enough to be used as
reliable transportation.

3 hours and 10 minutes of enjoyable, XM-radio-enhanced flight, versus
11 hours of mind-numbing driving through aggravating Chicago-area
traffic. God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...

Be glad there isn't, or driving through Chicago-area traffic would
seem like a picnic in comparison.

Old December 28th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Orval Fairbairn writes:

Darwin would take care of that!

Darwin would do so at such high expense in lives and property damage
that GA would rapidly be outlawed.

Those who have the time and money to become pilots are fortunate that
there are so many other people who don't.

Dual glide slope, $95...priceless! Jack Allison Owning 20 October 22nd 06 03:45 AM
Priceless Tugs kojak Owning 0 August 9th 05 10:25 PM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan Pechs1 Naval Aviation 34 March 7th 04 06:27 AM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan BUFDRVR Military Aviation 15 February 28th 04 04:17 PM
Priceless in Afganistan breyfogle Military Aviation 18 February 24th 04 05:54 AM