GA is priceless

Old December 28th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default GA is priceless

Aluckyguess writes:

I had to drive to Oregon a couple of months ago. I hated every minute of it.
12 hours to get there and 13 to get back. I flew the Bonaza a few weeks
earlier 3.5 there and 5 to get back. I had some stong winds and we stopped
to eat..I wont drive again.

Even in thunderstorms or driving snow?

Old December 28th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gpsman

Jay Honeck wrote:
God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...

Just thank your God there isn't, or you'd be more likely to be able to
pose your query in person, sooner.
-----

- gpsman

Old December 28th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Jose wrote:

God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...

Would you really want Joe Sixpack on approach doing his lipstick with a
cellphone in his ear?

Jose

Darwin would take care of that!

Once upon a time that was true. Lately the "Guvmint" won't let Darwin do
his thing so well anymore.

Jay B

Old December 28th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
skym

--
Jay Honeck

Jay,
I agree with you 100% on the convenience and utility of, and the love
of owning, my own airplane. However, to state "I can't understand for
the life of me why there isn't an airplane in every American garage" is
not only a disgusting comment, but one that suggests that you are
totally out of touch with the condition of this country. Sounds like
a person who once commented..."Let them eat cake."

Are the proletariat welcome at your motel, or only the AIRPLANE OWNERS?

Old December 28th 06, 08:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"skym" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jay Honeck wrote:
God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...
--
Jay Honeck

Jay,
I agree with you 100% on the convenience and utility of, and the love
of owning, my own airplane. However, to state "I can't understand for
the life of me why there isn't an airplane in every American garage" is
not only a disgusting comment, but one that suggests that you are
totally out of touch with the condition of this country. Sounds like
a person who once commented..."Let them eat cake."

Are the proletariat welcome at your motel, or only the AIRPLANE OWNERS?

Speaking of "being out of touch..."

As one who is also self-employed, I find it entirely impossible for your
accusation to hold up when you consider what Jay and Mary do for a living.

I think you'd better Google Jay Honeck's participation here and his views on
GA before you go casting aspersions.

There is nothing "cake" related about having a desire to see GA grow and
prosper anymore than should participating in GA be viewed as some form of
royalty.

To agree with Jay in one sentence (especially in light of your own aircraft
ownership status) and then damn him in the next (for expressing the desire
that everyone be able to enjoy similar access to personal
transportation..which you yourself enjoy) is, IMNSHO, hypocritical in the
extreme.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old December 28th 06, 10:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Jay Honeck schrieb:

11 hours of mind-numbing driving through aggravating Chicago-area
traffic. God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...

Now imagine all this aggravating Chicago-area traffic in the air around you.
Old December 28th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Jose wrote:

God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...

Would you really want Joe Sixpack on approach doing his lipstick with a
cellphone in his ear?

Jose

Darwin would take care of that!

Once upon a time that was true. Lately the "Guvmint" won't let Darwin do
his thing so well anymore.

Jay B

The "Guvmint" let's it happen all the time. This link
http://www.nsc.org/issues/driving/me...05fatality.htm at the National
Safety Council was a look at traffic death during Memorial Day weekend 2005.
They estimated there would be 25,400 disabling non-fatal auto accidents and
3,747 fatalities. That's in one long weekend.

But you are right, given the risk aversion that has swept and IMHO weakened
this country I really surprised that driving hasn't become as regulated as
flying.

Old December 28th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

We usually do, and we did on the way home. 1:20 over the lake vs 2.5-3 hrs
going around.
Jim

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Jim Burns" wrote)
Couldn't agree with you more Jay. 4 hours in the Aztec not only saved

us
19 hours of driving, but made our holiday travel possible.

If it had been better flying weather, would you have crossed Lake Michigan
in your Aztec?

What's that flight, in hours?

Montblack

Old December 28th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

But you are right, given the risk aversion that has swept and IMHO weakened
this country I really surprised that driving hasn't become as regulated as
flying.

It's less regulated in the sense that just about anybody can get a
license and drive. It's more regulated (there's a better phrase but I
can't think of it) in the sense that minima are much higher. In
aviation, it is legal to do things that require skill, and prudent not
to if you don't have the skill. In driving, if it requires skill, it is
illegal. For example, it's illegal to go seventy miles an hour, but it
is perfectly legal to fly 210 feet above the ground while in clouds.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old December 28th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

The only downside of the trip is that it was in fact to RACINE, not exactly
the most scenic world attraction.

Actually, Racine's harbor is now as beautiful as any I've visited.
They've spent millions of dollars obliterating any trace of their
industrial past -- at least along the lakeshore. With the man-made
peninsula, and a now-thriving downtown, it's not at all the pit it was
when I was a kid. (Think coal piles and green water...)

Now, drive ten blocks inland, and you'd better have your body armor on
-- but that's true of every formerly-industrial city in America.

And thanks for the offer! We'll be back to see you next summer, I'll
bet, assuming Milwaukee throws another airshow?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Dual glide slope, $95...priceless! Jack Allison Owning 20 October 22nd 06 03:45 AM
Priceless Tugs kojak Owning 0 August 9th 05 10:25 PM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan Pechs1 Naval Aviation 34 March 7th 04 06:27 AM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan BUFDRVR Military Aviation 15 February 28th 04 04:17 PM
Priceless in Afganistan breyfogle Military Aviation 18 February 24th 04 05:54 AM