Confusion about when it's my navigation, and when it's ATC

Old January 3rd 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gary[_2_]

Default Confusion about when it's my navigation, and when it's ATC

Mxsmanic wrote:
Which aspect of the flight was unlike the real world?

You never left the ground?

Old January 3rd 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Gary writes:

You never left the ground?

Is that good or bad? What does it have to do with ATC?

Old January 3rd 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Mxsmanic said:
Paul Tomblin writes:

If your FMC wants to descend, ask ATC for a descent. If you're going to
be descending with multiple segments of different descent rates, ask ATC
for "descent at pilots discretion".

OK, thanks. Is that the procedure followed by pilots in the real
world as well?

I live and fly in the real world, so I can only talk about the real world.
My "real world" is part 91 IFR below the oxygen altitudes, however, so
some of what I say isn't applicablle to part 121 in class A airspace.

Another "trick" is to ask for a cruise clearance, which also allows you to
manage your own descent profile. However in my chunk of the real world,
I've never seen it used or needed it.

I fly with a Garmin 296 handheld GPS. In my experience, nearly always
just around the same time it says I need to start my descent if I want to
descend at 500fpm to my destination, ATC clears me down to a lower
altitude without being asked.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
A male pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's flying,
Old January 3rd 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
gpsman

Mxsmanic wrote: groups adjusted
Gary writes:

You never left the ground?

Is that good or bad? What does it have to do with ATC?

Good, and nothing.
-----

- gpsman

Old January 3rd 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 18:09:26 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote in :

Larry Dighera writes:

OK. Does that apply to lateral navigation as well? Nobody seems to
object when I let the FMC follow the lateral course as filed (at least
during the en route phase of the flight).

Please consider doing your own research:

http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/PCG/
RESUME OWN NAVIGATION- Used by ATC to advise a pilot to resume
his/her own navigational responsibility. It is issued after
completion of a radar vector or when radar contact is lost while
the aircraft is being radar vectored.

I don't see an answer to my question in that paragraph.

I do.

Old January 3rd 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Paul Tomblin writes:

I fly with a Garmin 296 handheld GPS. In my experience, nearly always
just around the same time it says I need to start my descent if I want to
descend at 500fpm to my destination, ATC clears me down to a lower
altitude without being asked.

I have noticed this as well. I suppose if they know the route well,
they know when the descent usually starts.

Old January 3rd 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Mxsmanic,

And who would, in a simulation?

Air traffic controllers.

Then that would be a very bad simulation. Ah, more and more differences
to real life...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Mxsmanic, Chief Pilot - Circle Jerk Airlines.

-------------------------------------
DW

Old January 3rd 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"BDS" wrote in message
et...
"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 15:35:41 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote in :

I fly [MS FlightSimulator] from KLAX to KLAS, using the FMC to handle

most of the flight.

Good morning ladies and gentlemen and welcome to Imaginary Airlines.
Sorry
for the delay in departure, but we had some technical difficulties with
the
PC and had to reboot from a "blue screen of death". Everything is normal
now and we should be departing as soon as I give myself clearance and hit
the bathroom. Oops, wait a minute, I think I hear the telephone
ringing...
Sorry again for the delay - that was my ex-girlfriend and the conversation
got a little terse. I also took the opportunity to make a sandwich and
pop
open a brewski. On climbout be sure to look down and notice the beautiful
parquee floor below us. Those of you fortunate enough to be seated on the
right side of the room will have a fantastic view of the door to the bath
room. As long as the power stays on and this #$&@# windows PC behaves we
should be arriving on time. Thanks again for flying Imaginary Airlines,
we
hope to see you back again soon...

Seems about right to me.

DW

Old January 3rd 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Paul Tomblin

Paul Tomblin writes:
I fly with a Garmin 296 handheld GPS. In my experience, nearly always
just around the same time it says I need to start my descent if I want to
descend at 500fpm to my destination, ATC clears me down to a lower
altitude without being asked.

I have noticed this as well. I suppose if they know the route well,
they know when the descent usually starts.

Except they know where to start my descent whether I'm flying a 100 knot
Archer or a 140 knot Lance, or on one occasion, a Piper Dakota with a 70
knot tail wind.

I suspect there is software they use to handle this.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
#define sizeof(x) ((int)rand()*1024)
Old January 4th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"John Theune" wrote

Are you flying IFR? if so then ATC will tell you what altitude to be at.
Resume own navigation refers to routing not altitude. VFR is a different
set of rules.

He is flying a simulator "game," so he isn't really flying anything, and has
no consequences to whatever he does.

Get it?
--
Jim in NC