Medical after cancer

Old February 27th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Medical after cancer

Kev writes:

It claims, for example, that with colon cancer it might only take six
months, whereas with some lung cancers, it could take five years.

I still don't understand why they care. The risk of _sudden_ incapacitation
from metastases is virtually zero.

As if that weren't enough, one can imagine the impact on someone with
extremely advanced metastatic disease that is not likely to resolve when the
doctor says, "Oh, and for your last six months, you're not allowed to do what
you love the most."

Old February 27th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
J. Severyn

Kev,
Thanks for the best wishes....

Sure. It was a fairly rare cancer called MFH .. Malignant Fibrous
Histiocytoma. Only about 5000 cases in the US every year. Fortunately my
HMO had a doc that saw a relatively large number of cases of this junk and
specialized in its treatment. I was at the right place at the right time,
but had a bad cancer. That special doc is no longer at my HMO, but to his
credit, is now teaching at UCSF in San Francisco. I'm glad he is giving his
knowledge to the next generation of physicians.

After losing 50 pounds on the chemo, he said....."it is time to operate".
All went well. But I did lose a few extra pounds of flesh (tumor) on my
leg. The radiation killed half of my femur, but a set of interlocking
titanium-niobium rods supports it and I still ride a bicycle
today......although with much more care. And of course I have my standard
3rd class medical back.... and right now I'm taking a break from studying
for an Instrument Ground quiz we are having in class this evening.

Yes I was lucky.... no metatastic sites...or they were so small that the
chemo got them..and now that is fairly sure as I'm way down on the right
side of the re-occurrence bell curve. In my case it peaks at 18 months.

I just hope that Chas is fortunate to find a great medical team.... and
assuming he is listening... works with them....and asks lots of questions.
My doc kept me in on all the decisions. At one point he told me...."it is
50-50....what way do you want to go?" That gives you POWER.....It really
made me feel like I was taking hold of the horns of this monster and
winning..... Although at the time it was frightening. As a pilot, you can
understand the technical stuff. I even mapped radiation on the rest of my
body, by taping dosimeters under my Tshirt. (I had access to small
thermoluminescent dosimeters and a way of reading them). Funny... after my
last radiation treatment, the rad doc said, "Hey.....you know about this
stuff, you should have brought in some dosimeters. We would have let you
use them." I about choked.....because that is exactly what I had done. I
should have been more trusting and just asked. But the dose outside the
tumor area was just as he had predicted.... Those docs and techs really
know their high tech radiation machines. (thank you Varian and Siemens)

Chas..... we are so fortunate! Many of our illnesses would have been fatal
50 years ago. Today, the opposite is the norm. I hope your medical team
works as well as mine did. In any case, I for one, have you and Jim and all
folks who fight these battles in my thoughts every day.

Best Wishes,
John Severyn

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 27, 1:11 am, "J. Severyn" wrote:
Chas,
I will not make any comments on your particular situation, the medical
folks
have those answers.

But almost 9 years ago I started a fight with a particularly mean type of
cancer. After chemo, surgery, radiation and a metal implant to save my
femur from breaking at a later date, my orthopedic oncologist wrote a
letter
to the FAA saying he could see no reason to keep me from flying. (this
was
about 6 months after chemo/ 4 months after surgery/ 3 months after chemo/
1
month after the metal implant).

John (and Jim) thanks for your detailed experiences. John, can I ask
what type of cancer? One thing that seems important to the FAA is
the type, and whether it's spread or not.

Here's a short example list for AOPA members:

http://www.aopa.org/members/pic/medi...cation/cancer/

It claims, for example, that with colon cancer it might only take six
months, whereas with some lung cancers, it could take five years.

Stay indication free!
Regards, Kev

Old February 28th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chas[_2_]

John, Kev, and others,

Knowing you both navigated the tunnel and came out well is good reassuring
news indeed to me. Thanks for your thoughts and good wishes, and thanks to
others who responded with helpful info.

I have a great set of docs and a well known cancer center on my side. Its
still a scary thing. Mental attitude swings from the mostly coolly
analytical to occasional bouts of real fear.

It will work out. My prognosis is excellent at this point. The cancer,
while invasive shows no evidence of spread and was caught early. Second
opinion was sought from another well respected fellow and the opinions
received and likely treatment plans offerred were virtually identical to my
first doc.

Google has become my new best friend as I attempt to understand all I can
about the beast. Drinking from a fire hose comes to mind. None of this is
new to you I am sure. Lots of treatment topics options remain open pending
post-op path reports, so we wait for the next shoe to drop.

The FAA medical seems quite doable as well, thanks for sharing your
experiences there as well..

Thanks again, and good luck on the instrument training John.

. ..

Old February 28th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Feb 27, 8:40 pm, "Chas" wrote:
Knowing you both navigated the tunnel and came out well is good reassuring
news indeed to me. Thanks for your thoughts and good wishes, and thanks to
others who responded with helpful info.

Don't let stats scare you, is the main thing. At my stage, stats said
only a 1 in 5 chance of making it past a few years. Heck, I was only
given four months at first diagnosis. However, I intend to be on the
good side of the equations :-) I have to be, I've got a four year
old little girl, and that's the main reason I put up with so much.

I have a great set of docs and a well known cancer center on my side. Its
still a scary thing. Mental attitude swings from the mostly coolly
analytical to occasional bouts of real fear.

Understood fully. One good thing that happened because of this for
me, though, was that I finally took care of a lot of paperwork (will,
etc). While that should've been really depressing, in the end it
helped that I knew much was ready.

Google has become my new best friend as I attempt to understand all I can
about the beast. Drinking from a fire hose comes to mind.

Yes, you'll read a ton. Yet it's astonishing to me how little data
has been collated in a useful way. For example, why isn't there a
definitive set of data on what diet helps for each kind of
carcinoma? Etc.

I'm glad that hearing from other survivors helps. It really is
amazing how treatment results have progressed, even though much of it
is still Dark Ages stuff (poisons both chemical and radiological).

You'll be fine. Hang in there and thanks also from my side, for
making me work a little bit more towards getting back into the sky.
I'm still weak much of the time, but getting better too. It just
takes time.

Regards, Kev

Old February 28th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
J. Severyn

"Chas" wrote in message
John, Kev, and others,

snip

Thanks again, and good luck on the instrument training John.

Thanks Chas for the luck from you.

I really feel that you are all ready grabbing the bull by the horns. I
really do keep you, Kev and James and many others in my thoughts. I wish
all of you the very, very best.

John Severyn

Old March 6th 07, 10:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 27, 7:04 am, Jon Kraus wrote:
The FAA view is that if you have a known cancer, then you could also
have unseen brain / nervous system damage. If it was non-metastatic,
I believe they want a year to go by after cure.

You should do some research before you post such BS.

Well, since I had my esophagus removed due to cancer, yes I've done
research.

Please read the FAA Policy on Cancer section in this flight surgeon's
website:

http://www.aviationmedicine.com/arti...7&contentID=67

Ask Cecil Chapman
how long it was before he got back in the cockpit after breast cancer.

Breast cancer is a special case. However, I'm wrong about the non-
metastatic timeline, which is great.

Kev

Yeah, but you are still feeding a Troll.

Old March 20th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Kev writes:

The FAA view is that if you have a known cancer, then you could also
have unseen brain / nervous system damage.

Wow! They are _really_ grasping at straws here. Who makes these
decisions?

Doctors. Maybe you can practice a bit with your Nintendo and a copy of
"under the knife" and take it up with them.

Bertie
Old March 20th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Viperdoc writes:

Who are you to say that any comment is
not pertinent, particularly when you support the abrasive,
condescending, and arrogant responses by MSX?

This made me smile again.

how can you tell when you're smiling?

Bertie

My next medical John Huthmaker Piloting 29 April 5th 06 09:47 PM
Class III medical, Sport Pilot Medical, Crohn's disease [email protected] Piloting 3 August 15th 05 01:44 PM
Got my medical! Simon Robbins Rotorcraft 1 January 30th 05 06:49 PM
Medical Exam John Huthmaker Piloting 10 October 8th 04 02:23 AM
Help With Medical Problem Identified During Medical Exam pjbphd Piloting 30 September 8th 04 12:59 AM