Side-mounted canopy -- Prevent blowing shut?

Old September 5th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
V1

Default Side-mounted canopy -- Prevent blowing shut?

I have a side-mounted canopy (Ventus 2). I'm concerned that a gust of
wind could blow it shut when it's in the open position, breaking or
damaging the canopy.

I could close it every time I walk away for a minute or two, but
sooner or later I tend to forget and leave it open. I've thought about
several ways to hold it open without undue stress on the hinges or
canopy, but I have to assume someone else has probably solved this
problem and proved through actual use a simple method what works.

I'd like hear from anyone who has come up with a good solution.
Thanks,

- Frank Allen
Old September 5th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

On Sep 5, 3:37*pm, V1 wrote:
I have a side-mounted canopy (Ventus 2). I'm concerned that a gust of
wind could blow it shut when it's in the open position, breaking or
damaging the canopy.

I could close it every time I walk away for a minute or two, but
sooner or later I tend to forget and leave it open. I've thought about
several ways to hold it open without undue stress on the hinges or
canopy, but I have to assume someone else has probably solved this
problem and proved through actual use a simple method what works.

I'd like hear from anyone who has come up with a good solution.
Thanks,

- Frank Allen

You already know the good solution, but have dismissed it as too much
work.

Close the canopy whenever you are not actually working on something in
the cockpit. Make it a physical habit, no memory required.

Todd
3S
Old September 5th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Bange[_2_]

I stuff a soft cushion under the retaining cable, half in and half out of
the canopy behind the rear hinge, and then only for a minute or two. So
far that has worked fine for me.
Brian

Old September 5th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Frank,

If you are leaving it open in an attempt to keep the cockpit temperature
down, then you may want to consider getting a Canopy Cap. They have been
extremely popular.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/canopycap.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

Old September 6th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

On Sep 5, 12:37*pm, V1 wrote:
I have a side-mounted canopy (Ventus 2). I'm concerned that a gust of
wind could blow it shut when it's in the open position, breaking or
damaging the canopy.

I could close it every time I walk away for a minute or two, but
sooner or later I tend to forget and leave it open. I've thought about
several ways to hold it open without undue stress on the hinges or
canopy, but I have to assume someone else has probably solved this
problem and proved through actual use a simple method what works.

I'd like hear from anyone who has come up with a good solution.
Thanks,

- Frank Allen

Frank,

More serious than leaving the canopy open is closing and not locking
it and leaving the vent window open. It will pressurize with a large
gust, open and rip one or more of the hinges off.

You can guess how I know this,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old September 6th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Clark

On 5th September 2008, V1 wrote:-

"I could close it every time I walk away for a minute or two, but

sooner or later I tend to forget and leave
it open".

"I'd like hear from anyone who has come up with a
good solution".

Thanks,

Frank Allen

Sure did find a good solution with the "sooner or later forgetting"
problem Frank! It's called 'being a club member'! If I am flying a club
glider and walk away from the cockpit without closing the canopy I get my
"arse kicked all round the field" by a club instructor!

This technique does wonders for "the memory problem" and ensures that
"the closing while unattended habit" is carried over for when I'm
flying a 'private' glider!

Regards

Tony (aka pilot extraordinaire)

Old September 6th 08, 07:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bikensoar

"V1" wrote in message

I have a side-mounted canopy (Ventus 2). I'm concerned that a gust of
wind could blow it shut when it's in the open position, breaking or
damaging the canopy.

I could close it every time I walk away for a minute or two, but
sooner or later I tend to forget and leave it open. I've thought about
several ways to hold it open without undue stress on the hinges or
canopy, but I have to assume someone else has probably solved this
problem and proved through actual use a simple method what works.

I'd like hear from anyone who has come up with a good solution.
Thanks,

- Frank Allen- Hide quoted text -

Unfortuately the canopy cap is not yet available for side opening
canopies.
Old September 6th 08, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"V1" wrote in message

I have a side-mounted canopy (Ventus 2). I'm concerned that a gust of
wind could blow it shut when it's in the open position, breaking or
damaging the canopy.

I could close it every time I walk away for a minute or two, but
sooner or later I tend to forget and leave it open. I've thought about
several ways to hold it open without undue stress on the hinges or
canopy, but I have to assume someone else has probably solved this
problem and proved through actual use a simple method what works.

I'd like hear from anyone who has come up with a good solution.
Thanks,

- Frank Allen- Hide quoted text -

Unfortuately the canopy cap is not yet available for side opening
canopies.- Hide quoted text -

The Canopy Cap for side mounted canopies has been available for about
a year now.
There are patterns for Schempp-Hirth A and B fuselages including
Discus and Discus 2, Ventus and Ventus 2,
Nimbus 2 and 3. Check with your favorite soaring supplier.
Old September 10th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
V1

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions. I'm seeing that it's
even more critical to close AND lock than I had considered - a great
tip from Richard (the voice of expensive experience).

- Frank