More Videos from Logan, UT Region 9 contest

Old August 9th 10, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

Default More Videos from Logan, UT Region 9 contest

I am slowly getting around to editing more of the 18+ hours of video
footage taken while racing in the Logan, Utah Region 9 contest a few
weeks back. Here are the first two days of video I shot. I plan on
doing a video segment for each day of the contest. The footage might
get redundant but since the 15 meter nationals are in Logan next year
some of you who have not flown there might be interested in seeing
more than just a few minutes of highlights. I hope that over the
course of watching some of the action from every single day you will
get a little bit of a better feel as to what Logan has to offer.

Saturday (July 17, 2010 practice day)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoHOsG18yI&hd=1

Monday (July 19, 2010 First Contest Day)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEgtTMFykJs&hd=1

Comments are welcome and encouraged and please click on the
"Subscribe" button above the video so you will get updates when new
videos are posted. Please note this was my second contest so you will
see plenty of rookie mistakes.

Bruno - B4
Old August 11th 10, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

On Aug 9, 4:15*pm, Bruno wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the support and comments so far left on the videos.
They are fun to share with others. Here is part 1 of 2 for Tuesday's
flight.

Second official day of the Region 9 Logan Utah soaring contest. Today
was a very weak ridge day with low top of the lift predictions, blue
skies predicted with no cloud markers for thermals and weak winds
around 8-10 miles per hour from the southwest making for weak but
soarable ridge conditions.

We all stayed on the Logan ridge and went back and forth until getting
shot down off the ridge and struggling to make it home at the end of
the day. This video is of my second leg heading back south along the
ridge racing against the very nice guy and fantastic pilot Bob Faris
"BF". It shows our two different paths taken using the ridge and the
results. He stayed about 300-500 feet in front of the ridge and I flew
right over it - at times a little too close for comfort while watching
the playback.

I was a complete idiot and at the end of the day forgot to fly through
the last mandatory turn point even though I had thousands of feet of
altitude to spare. I just spaced it and it cost me 290 points. Yikes!
A rookie mistake that really hurt but one I hope to now never repeat.

Part 2 of Tuesday is video of near the end of the day scratching on
the ridge just a few hundred feet above the farmers fields at the
bottom. It hopefully will show how important it is to stay in any
kind of lift when extremely low to avoid landing out.

Tuesday (July 20, 2010 Second Contest Day) Part 1 of 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5n6kEgbDzo&hd=1

Thanks for watching and hope you enjoy it.
Bruno - B4
Old August 11th 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
V1

Thanks for sharing these. For those of us with no ridge/mountain
experience, videos like these are the next best thing to being there.
And for some of us, actually *better* than being there -- not sure I
have the stomach for being so close to rocks!

One slightly off-topic observation. Looked like your water tube may
have been looped through your chute or shoulder belts. As a safety
item, I think we all need to keep in the mind the number of things
we'd have to unhook if we had to bail quickly. A water tube, pee-tube,
radio mike, etc. might be stronger than we'd wish in an emergency.

- Frank
Old August 12th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MickiMinner

On Aug 11, 6:22*am, Bruno wrote:
On Aug 9, 4:15*pm, Bruno wrote:

The footage might
get redundant but since the 15 meter nationals are in Logan next year
some of you who have not flown there might be interested in seeing
more than just a few minutes of highlights. Please note this was my second contest so you will
see plenty of rookie mistakes. *

Bruno - B4

Bruno, I really enjoyed watching the traces from the flight logs, and
watching the Spot Tracking, but seeing your video's makes the world of
difference. Thanks for all the time you put into preparing these
videos. I just wanted you to know that all of your time and effort is
appreciated! micki
Old August 13th 10, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

On Aug 11, 5:33*pm, MickiMinner wrote:
On Aug 11, 6:22*am, Bruno wrote: On Aug 9, 4:15*pm, Bruno wrote:

The footage might
get redundant but since the 15 meter nationals are in Logan next year
some of you who have not flown there might be interested in seeing
more than just a few minutes of highlights. Please note this was my second contest so you will
see plenty of rookie mistakes. *

Bruno - B4

Bruno, I really enjoyed watching the traces from the flight logs, and
watching the Spot Tracking, but seeing your video's makes the world of
difference. *Thanks for all the time you put into preparing these
videos. *I just wanted you to know that all of your time and effort is
appreciated! micki

Thanks Frank and Micki for your encouragement and for everyone else
who left comments on Youtube so far. This sport is just too fun not
to share.

Frank, you are right on. I though about it for a moment when I first
tried placing the camelback tube under the parachute straps but then
really liked how convenient of a holder the straps were. You are
right, it could possibly be one more thing to delay an exit if needed
so I will look for another solution. Again, another one of the
benefits of sharing your own flying videos because you get good
feedback on how to improve both technique and safety. Another video
should be coming along in the next few days and will post a link when
it is done.

Thanks, Bruno - B4
Old August 15th 10, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

On Aug 12, 10:31*pm, Bruno wrote:
[...]

Here is the next installment of the 2010 Region 9 Contest week's
videos. This is part 2 of 2 for Tuesday's flight where it shows the
lift dying at the end of the day and falling off the ridge trying to
make it home. The farmer's fields below get pretty close...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsh3GEYqVGw&hd=1

Thanks, Bruno - B4

First of Logan Region 9 Contest HD Videos Bruno[_2_] Soaring 1 July 27th 10 02:05 AM
HD video from Logan Region 9 Contest Bruno Soaring 2 August 25th 09 04:03 AM
Region 3 contestants Welcome-Region Six North Contest Ionia November Bravo Soaring 0 August 13th 09 12:53 PM
Region 8 Contest Wayne Paul Soaring 4 July 5th 07 07:48 PM
Region 10 contest Sam Fly Soaring 1 January 12th 05 07:43 PM