A Little Technology Humor (SPOT)

Old December 21st 10, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
V1

Default A Little Technology Humor (SPOT)

I was reading the details in my SPOT user manual. In the Operation
Conditions And Climate section, it lists multiple potential issues,
including:

- If you exceed 700 mph (Mach 1) GPS accuracy degrades

Ahhh, OK - I'll keep that in mind ....
- Frank
Old December 21st 10, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95

On Dec 20, 9:56*pm, V1 wrote:
I was reading the details in my SPOT user manual. In the Operation
Conditions And Climate section, it lists multiple potential issues,
including:

- If you exceed 700 mph (Mach 1) GPS accuracy degrades

Ahhh, OK - I'll keep that in mind ....
- Frank

Thanks for pointing that out Frank! ... that explains some of the
problems I've been having!

Curt - 95
Genesis 2
SGS 1-26B
Old December 21st 10, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Dec 20, 9:08*pm, CLewis95 wrote:
On Dec 20, 9:56*pm, V1 wrote:

I was reading the details in my SPOT user manual. In the Operation
Conditions And Climate section, it lists multiple potential issues,
including:

- If you exceed 700 mph (Mach 1) GPS accuracy degrades

Ahhh, OK - I'll keep that in mind ....
- Frank

Thanks for pointing that out Frank! ... that explains some of the
problems I've been having!

Curt - 95
Genesis 2
SGS 1-26B

I notice a slight red shift in the color of the sky when I fly with
water...
Old December 21st 10, 10:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Francisco De Almeida[_2_]

I notice a slight red shift in the color of the sky when I fly with
water...

You fly while looking backwards?

Old December 21st 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Dec 20, 7:56*pm, V1 wrote:
I was reading the details in my SPOT user manual. In the Operation
Conditions And Climate section, it lists multiple potential issues,
including:

- If you exceed 700 mph (Mach 1) GPS accuracy degrades

Ahhh, OK - I'll keep that in mind ....
- Frank

Which explains why MY tracks are so incredibly precise!
Old December 21st 10, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 20, 9:56*pm, V1 wrote:

I was reading the details in my SPOT user manual. In the Operation
Conditions And Climate section, it lists multiple potential issues,
including:

- If you exceed 700 mph (Mach 1) GPS accuracy degrades

Ahhh, OK - I'll keep that in mind ....
- Frank

Thanks for pointing that out Frank! ... that explains some of the
problems I've been having!

Curt - 95
Genesis 2
SGS 1-26B

I notice a slight red shift in the color of the sky when I fly with
water...- Hide quoted text -

Ah- the dreaded red mist. Usually happens to me when I think I might
win. Not afflicted with it all
that much.
UH
Old December 22nd 10, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Dec 21, 2:09*am, Francisco De Almeida wrote:
I notice a slight red shift in the color of the sky when I fly with
water...

You fly while looking backwards?

No, actually, it happens as I approach the speed of light.
Old December 22nd 10, 09:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Dec 22, 7:47*pm, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
On Dec 21, 2:09*am, Francisco De Almeida wrote:

I notice a slight red shift in the color of the sky when I fly with
water...

You fly while looking backwards?

No, actually, it happens as I approach the speed of light.

Which is why you meant blue shift, yes?
Old December 22nd 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

No, actually, it happens as I approach the speed of light.

While looking aft.
Old December 22nd 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Dec 22, 7:50*am, Grider Pirate wrote:
No, actually, it happens as I approach the speed of light.

While looking aft.

Matt may be confused or just maybe he is showing off. A relativistic
glider pilot facing forward (and looking around a bit)will observe a
combination of red and blue shift.

Classical Doppler effect is of course inline to the direction of
relative motion. So blue shift going towards and redshift going away.
But relativistic Doppler will redshift objects even those with no line
of motion towards/away form you. The overall red shift/blue shift
shapes into a cone with things to the side of you red shifted as well.
There is a nice 2D animation of the relativistic Doppler cone at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativ...Doppler_effect.

BTW I hear the new ClearNav vario includes corrections for
relativistic Doppler effects (but no word yet if it will actually talk
to any PDA based soaring software).

Darryl

Spot deal, today only, buy service get a free Spot Tim Taylor Soaring 3 December 1st 08 10:30 PM
A little humor.... Canuck[_2_] Aviation Photos 3 October 12th 08 05:34 PM
Humor john smith Piloting 9 January 11th 06 07:40 PM
Humor john smith Piloting 4 October 20th 05 10:18 PM
[OT] Humor No Spam! Military Aviation 6 January 27th 04 09:44 PM