A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

FAI Ultralight Definition



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old August 19th 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,610
Default FAI Ultralight Definition

On Aug 19, 6:18*am, Gary Osoba wrote:
There are other light gliders now but the ones above are those I have
personal experience flying world records with.

Best Regards,

Gary Osoba


Curious, how come you omitted Sigma from the list ?
See ya, Dave
Ads
  #12  
Old August 19th 10, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,965
Default FAI Ultralight Definition

On Aug 19, 10:42*am, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Aug 19, 6:18*am, Gary Osoba wrote:

There are other light gliders now but the ones above are those I have
personal experience flying world records with.


Best Regards,


Gary Osoba


Curious, how come you omitted Sigma from the list ?
See ya, Dave


perhaps he was limiting this report to ultralight records?
  #13  
Old August 20th 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Osoba[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default FAI Ultralight Definition

On Aug 19, 11:00*am, Tony wrote:
On Aug 19, 10:42*am, Dave Nadler wrote:

On Aug 19, 6:18*am, Gary Osoba wrote:


There are other light gliders now but the ones above are those I have
personal experience flying world records with.


Best Regards,


Gary Osoba


Curious, how come you omitted Sigma from the list ?
See ya, Dave


perhaps he was limiting this report to ultralight records?


Dave's comment was both knowledgeable and tongue in cheek. While the
Carbon Dragon flies at the lightest wing loading in the sailplane
world, the Sigma, after modification by Marsden and then myself, flies
at arguably the heaviest wing loading in the world- 13.2 psf. That's
unballasted, so you fly it that way for take-off's and landings. With
22 meters of wing, its a handful at that W/S.

I haven't attempted world records in the Sigma, but it was very
helpful ands successful in verifying pitch-based dynamic soaring
algorithms.

Best Regards,

Gary Osoba
  #14  
Old August 20th 10, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,965
Default FAI Ultralight Definition

On Aug 20, 4:26*pm, Gary Osoba wrote:
On Aug 19, 11:00*am, Tony wrote:

On Aug 19, 10:42*am, Dave Nadler wrote:


On Aug 19, 6:18*am, Gary Osoba wrote:


There are other light gliders now but the ones above are those I have
personal experience flying world records with.


Best Regards,


Gary Osoba


Curious, how come you omitted Sigma from the list ?
See ya, Dave


perhaps he was limiting this report to ultralight records?


Dave's comment was both knowledgeable and tongue in cheek. While the
Carbon Dragon flies at the lightest wing loading in the sailplane
world, the Sigma, after modification by Marsden and then myself, flies
at arguably the heaviest wing loading in the world- *13.2 psf. That's
unballasted, so you fly it that way for take-off's and landings. With
22 meters of wing, its a handful at that W/S.

I haven't attempted world records in the Sigma, but it was very
helpful ands successful in verifying pitch-based dynamic soaring
algorithms.

Best Regards,

Gary Osoba


doh! for some reason I read Sigma and though Gemini. Either way.
  #15  
Old May 8th 17, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K Smith[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default FAI Ultralight Definition

On Tuesday, August 17, 2010 at 9:21:26 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
On Aug 17, 7:41*pm, BTiz wrote:
On Aug 17, 7:56*am, Tony wrote:

Curious,


Sporting Code 3 defines the Ultralight Class as a take off weight of
less than 220 kg, or 485 lbs. *Is this maximum allowed takeoff weigth
or the actual weight of the glider for that flight?


Tony... as I read the sporting code.. they always refer to "Mass",
whether it be max or minimum attainable.
So to me, in the US to read, "ULTRALIGHT, a glider with a takeoff mass
not exceeding 220 kg," that means maximum gross weight.

Are you considering that you can get an ULTRALIGHT record if you can
fly your glider below 220kg, even if you can actually carry more
according to the TCDS?
Perhaps a letter to the FAI or the SSA Badge Lady is needed?
BT


The sporting code does not have different meaning in the US vs. other
countries.

Not me, but I think there is a possibility that a light person in
Leah's Cherokee II would be under the Ultralight limit and the
Feminine World Record for Free Distance in the Ultralight class is
only 150ish kilometers. There are NO US Feminine records in the
Ultralight class.


Go Leah, GO!
  #16  
Old May 9th 17, 04:45 PM
POPS POPS is offline
Member
 
First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Dec 2010
Posts: 76
Default

This question led me to some interesting reading. http://ozreport.com/data/WhyMicroliftSoaring.pdf


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony[_5_] View Post
Curious,

Sporting Code 3 defines the Ultralight Class as a take off weight of
less than 220 kg, or 485 lbs. Is this maximum allowed takeoff weigth
or the actual weight of the glider for that flight?
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorglider Definition Doug Hoffman Soaring 0 December 6th 08 08:27 PM
Definition of CFIT? Roy Smith General Aviation 4 March 31st 08 04:00 PM
Definition of a Veteran? Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 March 26th 07 10:49 PM
Need A Definition Jay Beckman Piloting 4 May 11th 04 04:41 PM
Cross-Country Definition (USA) Michael Stringfellow Soaring 16 February 9th 04 06:01 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.