[USA] What do you think of the 13.5 Meter Class?

Old January 25th 10, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R S

Default [USA] What do you think of the 13.5 Meter Class?

USA glider pilots are encouraged to give their opinions on the
proposed new 13.5 Meter Class.

See http://sites.google.com/site/13meters/home for further
information.

RS
Old January 25th 10, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default What do you think of the 13.5 Meter Class?

On Jan 24, 8:37*pm, R S wrote:
USA glider pilots are encouraged to give their opinions on the
proposed new 13.5 Meter Class.

Seehttp://sites.google.com/site/13meters/homefor further
information.

RS

Interesting web page. Why is this not being presented through the
SSA?
Old January 25th 10, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Jan 24, 9:37*pm, R S wrote:
USA glider pilots are encouraged to give their opinions on the
proposed new 13.5 Meter Class.

Seehttp://sites.google.com/site/13meters/homefor further
information.

RS

sounds interesting. gives an FAI class for me to race the cherokee. I
say no ballast, yes to handicapping, yes to monotype sub-classes
Old January 25th 10, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 24, 7:37*pm, R S wrote:
USA glider pilots are encouraged to give their opinions on the
proposed new 13.5 Meter Class.

Seehttp://sites.google.com/site/13meters/homefor further
information.

RS

should be 13.6M as that is what my Salto is!!.

Old January 25th 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gliderphud

On Jan 24, 8:37*pm, R S wrote:
USA glider pilots are encouraged to give their opinions on the
proposed new 13.5 Meter Class.

Seehttp://sites.google.com/site/13meters/homefor further
information.

RS

Why stop at 13.5 Meter. We need an individual class of glider for
every model ever made. That way all the kids raised in the 70's and
beyond can still feel good about themselves racing. Everyone is a
winner and no one is a loser.

We added the Standard class so we would have cheaper gliders than the
15M. Is there a real difference in price between a 15M and a Standard
today?

We added the 18M class because the glider manufacturers weren't
selling enough 15M and Standard class gliders anymore. That way they
could create an elite class that would drive everyone to buy a new
glider. How many true 15M or Standards have been sold in the last 7
years? Everything has an 18M option and the cost and empty weights
have gone up exponentially.

We will create the 13.5M and 20M class soon.

The IGC has never seen a glider class they won't approve. Soon we
will have 20 or more classes. Let's just skip the trouble and make a
class for everyone so we're all winners.

The only three classes we need are Club, 15M and Open (Unlimited), the
rest are just fluff to make us all feel better about ourselves (if you
don't believe it just ask why the 18M class is called the compensator
class? http://www.cafepress.com/+nice_truck...umper,72983366
Insert 18M glider for Truck on the bumper sticker).

It is time to kill the World class, not replace it with some other
lame class.
Old January 25th 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Liam

Heh, the gliding equivalent of the Special Olympics. Everyone is a
winner.
Old January 25th 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Jan 25, 12:08*pm, Liam wrote:
Heh, the gliding equivalent of the Special Olympics. *Everyone is a
winner.

I have no doubt that I could figure out a way to lose, regardless of
the FAI's intent.
Old January 25th 10, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Jardini

I don't see how everyone would win a 13 meter competition.

1-26er's only have one winner and that class has developed some pretty
top pilots.

So what exactly is the problem with owners of 13 meter ships wanting
to hold contests?

Some of you guys are extremely defensive about your wing size.

Mark Jardini

Old January 25th 10, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
silentpilot

So what exactly is the problem with owners of 13 meter ships wanting
to hold contests?

There is a new generation of short wing gliders that are totally
different:
with modern materials is now possible to built light weight
sailplanes,
shorter wing span and good L/D ratio that can climb better then the
others,
but at high speed they have no polar, they sink like stones.
They are fun to fly, safer to outland, easy to rig.
They are truly a class apart.
Of course they do not go very far because of the very light weight.
Up until now the new classes and regulations were made up for new
sailplanes to go faster, impress with longer distances, etc.
I believe this the intent of having a new class for fun to fly,
easy handling gliders.
Possibly much less expensive!!!!
By the way, what is the lowest price of a brand new glider today???
If you want soaring to become more popular and affordable, do you
think that new machines in excess of 150000 dls is the way to go?
Look at delta, there are so many around because they are cheap.....
Soaring is becoming more and more expensive and going light should
make it more affordable.