Hangars - Horton Stack Doors?

Old September 15th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
V1

Default Hangars - Horton Stack Doors?

I'm considering Horton Stack doors (the type that fan-fold to the
side) for a hangar. One question is the expected lifespan of the
fiberglass panels.

If anyone has direct knowledge of this brand in actual use over an
extended time, I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

- Frank

Old September 15th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Frank,

I previously had the Horton stack doors on a 60 X 60 at Napa, CA. The were a
pain in the hind end in windy conditions, especially when the wind was
parallel to the door opening. If you let the doors get away from you it
could get ugly.

I also have them on a second hangar at Minden. Here they are shielded from
the wind more, and so the auto slam closed or open feature isn't such a
problem. However, they do not seal well and the hangar is constantly
inundated with dirt and dust. If the doors have a south exposure, in the
summer the temperature swings inside are brutal. The doors, if left
uninsulated, pass light nicely but also radiate heat to make the hangar an
oven.

My large hangar is an Erect-A-Tube, so the insulated bi-fold door is from
them. Much better. However, some of the hangar door specialty companies
build a nicer door than Erect-A-Tube does. In any case, I much prefer the
bi-fold over the stack-door. The biggest advantage of the stack door is
cost. Perhaps that's the only advantage (g).

bumper
Minden
ps.com...

Old September 26th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Nope, haven't moved to TX . . . I'm enjoying NV so much I can safely say
it's likely I'll stay in Minden.

The stack doors I was referring to were in Napa, CA, when I lived there.
Hangar was 60 X 60 so when the wind was parallel to the doors, the wind
effect on the doors was considerable. The airport posted warning decals to
not operate the doors in high wind conditions.

The smaller hangar I have at Minden has a 50' opening that's wind shielded
by other structures, so operating the doors is never an issue.

If blowing dust and dirt is of concern, that might be a consideration as my
stack doors don't seal out the dirt well at all.

bumper
"Jeremy Zawodny" wrote in message

The other advantage for me as an old geezer is to be able to open the
doors
easily by myself at any time. With Ohio winds I have had to work a
little
harder to open them sometimes but totally possible. Closing them is much
easier. Bumper has a worse problem with wind in West Texas, that's for
sure.

Bumper is in Minden, NV not Texas (unless he's recently moved).

Jeremy