Spot off ...WTF?

Old March 31st 14, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

Default Spot off ...WTF?

Bottom line weather the device was Spot or Delorm or any other kind of ELT the crew was negligent in their duties and all died of this as a result of it. The liability should lie with the captain of the ship. They plotted a bad course and we're not vigilant. I've been using a spot three since December, it has worked flawless for my mission. My people are informed of when and where I'm going to fly, anyone who cares has a link to my site. They all know that if I should not show up at the other end or where I'm supposed to be they can track my course. Whether I fly my glider or my plane and whether I crashed either it will not be the fault of my spot device.

God rest their souls, long live the tort
Old March 31st 14, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
darrylr

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 9:18:30 AM UTC-7, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Saturday, March 29, 2014 11:35:49 PM UTC-7, darrylr wrote:

And show me one yacht crew where the skipper is
going to be drinking while the crew is not...?

I have to agree that the Exxon Valdez doesn't count as a yacht...

Thanks, Bob K.

Stop it Bob, or you'll go blind. :-)

Darryl
Old March 31st 14, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

Excerpt from the report on this accident:

"Based on all factors, the panel concludes that the skipper set a waypoint that took Aegean on a path that intersected North Coronado Island, that Aegean was motoring under autopilot as she approached the island, and there is no evidence of any intervention to prevent Aegean's running into the island".

The SPOT is not a navigation device, The captain F up he cost everybody their lives, none of them were wearing life preservers, This is speculation but his wife is probably being sued and her only recourse it to in turn sue everybody she can to try to off set her husbands tragic mistake.

This is also speculation, the captain was so ****ed off that the SPOT would not transmit a message conveying the emergency that he beat and killed all of the crew with the SPOT. As a report stated they all died of blunt force trauma, couldn't possibly have happened because they weren't wearing life preservers and there was 4 to 6 foot seas.
Old March 31st 14, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Koerner

Darryl,
Thanks for correcting my post.
What I had heard was from people involved in the race. And that was quite a while ago, perhaps before the reports were issued.
The island is certainly rocky, and steep enough that you might hit the bow before the keel, but its still hard to picture all 5 adult males being disabled to the extent that they couldn't grab a life jacket or cushion and float clear. The waves would make it difficult to haul yourself out, especially at night, but the water is warm enough that you could stand off if you had to, at least until morning. Shipwrecks in much, much worse conditions have had survivors. Maybe the cabin was ripped open enough to flood quickly, but not allow them a way out. Maybe the mast, boom, or sails were blocking their way out. Maybe thats when they reached for the Spot's 911 button.
Mike Koerner
Old March 31st 14, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

It was a terrible accident and my sympathy goes to everyone that it touched..

My take away is that due to there being several sars amateurs in the notification chain (the skipper's wife and the race officials), the SPOT distress signal took over 11 hours to reach SARS professionals (the US Coast Guard in this case). The skipper's wife did not have (or heed) clear instruction to forward a distress call immediately to the USCG (even in the case of a missing position fix). She made the wrong 'judgement call' to delay.

If the distress call had been made on a PLB, it would have reached the Coast Guard in minutes (and a rescue craft would have been launched within 30 minutes even without the position information).

The take away is that the friends and/or family who receive a SPOT/INREACH distress notification need to trained/instructed to immediately forward the message to SARS professionals (Coast Guard, Mountain Rescue Squad, Sheriff etc..).

I agree with Daryl that the best combo is SPOT/InReach with active tracking in the plane and a PLB on the parachute shoulder strap.

Base on this case, it seems that the GEOS personnel, or perhaps just the individual working at GEOS in this particular incident are/were not properly trained SARS professionals. (I hear that you get what you pay for. But ironically there is no subscription fee for PLBs.)

Old April 1st 14, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Why is it ironic that there's no subscription fee for a PLB? It does not
transmit anything unless turned on and then, the SAR process begins. It is
not designed to present your position or track to your friends. It's only
turned on when you need to say, "Here I am and I need help urgently. Please
come now to these coordinates." I have one attached to my parachute harness
and it's there should I ever need it. Why would I pay a fee just to have it
there?

Old April 1st 14, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, March 31, 2014 7:37:07 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Why is it ironic that there's no subscription fee for a PLB?

iro·ny noun \ˈī-rə-nē also ˈī(-ə)r-nē\

(second definition)
: a situation that is strange or funny because things happen in a way that seems to be the opposite of what you expected

Since PLB is better for notifying SARS than SPOT/INREACH, it is strange and funny that it has no subscription fee (of course the initial cost of a PLB is higher than SPOT and SPOT offers tracking).

Old April 1st 14, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, March 28, 2014 11:55:06 PM UTC-4, POPS wrote:
http://sailinganarchy.com/

Go to - spot off -

Good to know?

--

POPS

Cmon guys - nothing is perfect, but SPOT sure worked well for me last summer in Moriarty. Read the report on Soaring Cafe (http://soaringcafe.com/wp-admin/post...82&action=edit) and make your own decision.

Frank (TA)

Spot vs Spot Connect guy Soaring 9 January 25th 12 04:48 PM
Spot deal, today only, buy service get a free Spot Tim Taylor Soaring 3 December 1st 08 11:30 PM
SPOT GPS jeplane Soaring 17 February 5th 08 06:23 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Piloting 0 February 5th 08 01:42 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Owning 0 February 5th 08 01:42 AM