A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Superseded engines in self launchers

Old March 26th 14, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Superseded engines in self launchers

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a self launcher in the near future. I am not clear about the issues around superseded engines.
The DG-800A (and many others) have Rotax 535 (and 505) engines which I understand are no longer supported. Is this a real issue for owners or likely to become one as time goes on?
The Ventus 2cm had a Solo 2489 which is an old model - is it still supported?

Schleicher still uses the rotary engine (different branding) and I haven't come across any horror stories although major service is a "send it to Europe" saga. Can the early models be modified to the Mi spec though? (not an issue per se, just curious).

Thanks Ben

PS who has one for sale?
Old March 26th 14, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 8:56:56 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi all,

I am looking at buying a self launcher in the near future. I am not clear about the issues around superseded engines.

The DG-800A (and many others) have Rotax 535 (and 505) engines which I understand are no longer supported. Is this a real issue for owners or likely to become one as time goes on?

Schleicher still uses the rotary engine (different branding) and I haven't come across any horror stories although major service is a "send it to Europe" saga. Can the early models be modified to the Mi spec though? (not an issue per se, just curious).

Thanks Ben

PS who has one for sale?

Old March 26th 14, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hi all,

Thanks Ben

PS who has one for sale?

Old March 26th 14, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]
external usenet poster

Hi aljjl
Ben, The Ventus 2CM uses a Solo 2625 it is also used in the Ventus 2cxm ( these are both self launchers).The 2625 is still being made. I have a Ventus 2CM if interested contact gosh2fly @ centurylink.net.

Ken

Thanks Ben

PS who has one for sale?

Old March 30th 14, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

I don't think an ASH 26E engine can be upgraded to the Mi spec - the factory would probably not consider being involved for certification reasons and if anyone else was willing to get involved I don't think there is any chance that it would be cost effective.

Mark, happy ASH 26 owner

On Wednesday, 26 March 2014 12:56:56 UTC, wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks Ben

PS who has one for sale?

Old March 30th 14, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

Received a similar response from Schleicher. Fitting it into the 26 was suggested as a problem.
Normal operations were fine with the AE50R with Tillotson carb, climbs to 12,000' or higher were not a problem.
Perhaps we'll see something happen with the little BMW 4-stroke pictured in a recent Gliding International.
Jim

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 10:33:21 AM UTC-7, waremark wrote:
I don't think an ASH 26E engine can be upgraded to the Mi spec - the factory would probably not consider being involved for certification reasons and if anyone else was willing to get involved I don't think there is any chance that it would be cost effective.

Mark, happy ASH 26 owner

Old March 31st 14, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Il giorno mercoledì 26 marzo 2014 13:56:56 UTC+1, ha scritto:
Hi all,

Some earlier Ventus 2CM had the Solo 2489 indeed. I see it is still listed in the Solo Engines web page, so I suppose it still a supported unit.

The Rotax 535 as fitted to 2-seaters (Janus, Nimbus, DG500M) is superseded and spare parts are difficult to source (to say the least). Binder offers an expensive conversion to Solo engine for those sailplanes.

The Rotax 505 as fitted to DG400-800 is superseded as well, but I think most parts are still available, though a complete overhaul cannot be obtained anymore. Same for the single cylinder 275 (ASH25E, DG600M, ASW24E).

As for the rules, I guess it very much depends on the country in which it is registered, and on the wording in the individual (and approved by the authority) maintenance program (called IHP in German documents). With the appropriate wording in the IHP, we can continue to use such engines until satisfied of their performance. We can even eventually skip periodic inspections under our own responsibility; I don't recommend that, of course.

When ownership changes, a new IHP must be issued, and approval must be asked at the national authority. This way, the new owner can also accept such responsibility.
These engines are mechanically quite reliable, so generally a complete overhaul is seldom necessary. I have only heard of some piston rings failures on the 535 and 275, but not in my experience on the 505.
A major failure leaves the pilot/owner with few options, however.

aldo cernezzi