Another long wave flight 3/29

Old March 29th 14, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Another long wave flight 3/29

Jim and Dennis will launch from Rosamond Skypark at sunrise to surf the Sierra wave. They can be tracked near real time on SSA tracker or Glideport.com. If you login on Glideport (upper right corner) you can "follow" JP. You will receive an email notification whenever he launches. I will post updates sporadically during the flight. We will try to post in-flight photos as connectivity permits.

Thinking wave,

Jackie

~1000 miles so far.

Old March 30th 14, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Jim Payne looks to have landed close to 1912 PDT, which is official sunset for Rosamond, CA. We'll have to wait and see what the official OLC distance is. The SSA Tracking page shows 1440sm which is an overestimate for a number of reasons. Still a very good flight.

Gordon Boettger in the DUO flew about 455sm Minden to Logan, UT. It was a much tougher weather flight which I watched for him as his flight dispatcher from 5am local this morning. The real stopper for his flight was the cloud cover and snow showers he ran into in the Logan Valley. Cloud coverage and bases became too much to "dive" over into Bear Valley. As it was... he flew IMC at several points on his flight (with electronic horizon). It was a good decision to stop at Logan, in my opinion.

Todays flights of JP and DDT demonstrate the remarkable difference in flying zig zags versus free distance. Not to take away anything from JP's flight.... it's just a lot easier to find the path and weather to make those long flights. Finding coherent, safe and fast soaring weather for a free distance downwind is REALLY HARD TO DO.

Just for comparison, Minden to Minneapolis is about 1415sm.

Walt Rogers WX - Met/Flight Dispatcher for N55LK Boettger/Bennett
Old March 31st 14, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Saturday, March 29, 2014 8:28:43 PM UTC-6, WaltWX wrote:
[...]

Recap of flight

They landed at sunset with 2185 OLC km. It came to 2007 OLC points. Will claim a US multiplace motorglider 300 km O and R speed record of 241 kph (about 150 mph).

Jim said between Minden and Lone Pine was the best he had ever seen.

The unique power and beauty of wave flight is absolutely amazing. Sharing has enriched the experience for us. Sincere thanks to everyone who followed along.

Here's the link to the OLC flight page

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=3504495

Till next time,

Jackie

Jim Payne and Dennis Tito's long wave flight yesterday Paul Remde Soaring 2 May 31st 13 05:28 PM
Long Wave Attempt christine anderson Soaring 0 May 3rd 12 09:52 PM
Long wave flight bish Soaring 2 December 3rd 11 12:49 AM
Kansas Wave Flight Steve Soaring 0 May 4th 04 05:14 AM
1,633 km (1,015 sm) Sierra Wave Flight Kizuno Soaring 10 March 31st 04 05:35 PM