Flight over water...required equipment?

Old March 25th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flight over water...required equipment?

I know it's "smart" to have, say a pfd when flying over water, but what
equipment is "required" by FAA/FARs....

I'm thinking of a situation like flying to Catalina Island from SNA,
maintaining altitude such that we are always in gliding distance of either
SNA or the airport at Catalina....

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old March 25th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The FAA lists required equipment only for flights operating
under FAR 121/135 and large and turbine powered aircraft
under 91/and 125. That said, going to Catalina and being
able to glide to land would require an altitude of 10-12,000
feet. Also, you can buy some inflatable approved life vests
and they can be rented at many FBOs and shops near the
coasts.

What you can carry depends on the airplane, not much room or
useful load in a C150, plenty of both in a King Air 300.

As long as you're within gliding distance, a charter in a
Baron does not require any floatation gear, but if I paid
for a charter to Catalina, I want vests, a small boat and a
good personal ELT. On the east coast, the islands are too
far to glide back.

In any case, if the airplane is in good condition and full
of fuel, the odds are on your side.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"ET" wrote in message
|I know it's "smart" to have, say a pfd when flying over
water, but what
| equipment is "required" by FAA/FARs....
|
| I'm thinking of a situation like flying to Catalina Island
from SNA,
| maintaining altitude such that we are always in gliding
distance of either
| SNA or the airport at Catalina....
|
| --
| -- ET :-)
|
| "A common mistake people make when trying to design
something
| completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of
complete

Old March 25th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in

The FAA lists required equipment only for flights operating
under FAR 121/135 and large and turbine powered aircraft
under 91/and 125. That said, going to Catalina and being
able to glide to land would require an altitude of 10-12,000
feet. Also, you can buy some inflatable approved life vests
and they can be rented at many FBOs and shops near the
coasts.

What you can carry depends on the airplane, not much room or
useful load in a C150, plenty of both in a King Air 300.

As long as you're within gliding distance, a charter in a
Baron does not require any floatation gear, but if I paid
for a charter to Catalina, I want vests, a small boat and a
good personal ELT. On the east coast, the islands are too
far to glide back.

In any case, if the airplane is in good condition and full
of fuel, the odds are on your side.

OK, so our private craft has no "required" equipment???

Alright, our LSA aircraft has a glide ratio of 11-1 at idle, and 14-1
poweroff (at 60knots "best glide" speed).. We've confirmed the idle glide
ratio, but have chosen not to purposely turn the engine off to confirm the
poweroff glide speed.

So, Avalon is at 1680msl, SNA to Avalon is 34 miles, 1/2 that= 17 miles,
then assuming the 11-1 for saftey that's 1.54 miles * 5280=8131 + 1680
(field elevation) = your right, about 10,000 feet going, and about 8000
coming back (SNA is at ~50ftmsl) at the peak of travel....

Old March 25th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sec. 91.509 - Survival equipment for overwater operations.

(a) No person may take off an airplane for a flight over water more
than 50 nautical miles from the nearest shore unless that airplane is
equipped with a life preserver or an approved flotation means for each
occupant of the airplane.

(b) No person may take off an airplane for a flight over water more
than 30 minutes flying time or 100 nautical miles from the nearest
shore unless it has on board the following survival equipment:

(1) A life preserver, equipped with an approved survivor locator light,
for each occupant of the airplane.

(2) Enough liferafts (each equipped with an approved survival locator
light) of a rated capacity and buoyancy to accommodate the occupants of
the airplane.

(3) At least one pyrotechnic signaling device for each liferaft.

(4) One self-buoyant, water-resistant, portable emergency radio
signaling device that is capable of transmission on the appropriate
emergency frequency or frequencies and not dependent upon the airplane
power supply.

(5) A lifeline stored in accordance with 25.1411(g) of this chapter.

(c) The required liferafts, life preservers, and signaling devices must
be installed in conspicuously marked locations and easily accessible in
the event of a ditching without appreciable time for preparatory
procedures.

(d) A survival kit, appropriately equipped for the route to be flown,
must be attached to each required liferaft.

(e) As used in this section, the term shore means that area of the land
adjacent to the water which is above the high water mark and excludes
land areas which are intermittently under water.

Old March 25th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Tom" wrote in
oups.com:

Sec. 91.509 - Survival equipment for overwater operations.

(a) No person may take off an airplane for a flight over water more
than 50 nautical miles from the nearest shore unless that airplane is
equipped with a life preserver or an approved flotation means for each
occupant of the airplane.

(b) No person may take off an airplane for a flight over water more
than 30 minutes flying time or 100 nautical miles from the nearest
shore unless it has on board the following survival equipment:

(1) A life preserver, equipped with an approved survivor locator
light, for each occupant of the airplane.

[...]

Awsome Tom, Thank you very much for the concise reply, this tells me
"excatly" what I need to know. So, my 30 mile flight to Catalina at
110knots cruise does not "require" any special equipment at all
(Although I know I'm foolish to go without "some" kind of
flotation/pfd/whatever...)

Thanks!

Old March 25th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"ET" wrote in message
I know it's "smart" to have, say a pfd when flying over water, but what
equipment is "required" by FAA/FARs....

I'm thinking of a situation like flying to Catalina Island from SNA,
maintaining altitude such that we are always in gliding distance of either
SNA or the airport at Catalina....

FWIW...

If it gets hazy over the water, the horizon will dissapear. That may or may
not be a problem for you.
My brother and I had the same "plan" (stay high enough to glide to one side
or the other) for crossing lake Michigan some years ago. The problem was
that as we got close to the lake, the horizon started to dissapear. So, we
lost some altitude to maintain ground reference, then some more, then some
more. At a couple hundred feet above the water, the waves gave enough
reference to keep the airplane right side up. Of course, we were no longer
high enough to make it to dry land if the engine quit...

Now we fly around the bottom of the lake.
--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old March 25th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Tom wrote:
Sec. 91.509 - Survival equipment for overwater operations.

For clarification, according to this website

http://www.equipped.com/avraft4.htm

" Part 91.509 "Survival equipment for over water operations" is part
of Subpart F dealing only with Large (over 12,500 pounds MTOW) and
Turbine-Powered (jet or turboprop) Multiengine Aircraft. This doesn't
cover your Cessna 182 or any other light GA aircraft, single or twin."

Old March 25th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article .com,
"Tom" wrote:

Sec. 91.509 - Survival equipment for overwater operations.

don't forget which the applicability of 91.509 (found in 91.501)

"*91.501***Applicability.

(a) This subpart prescribes operating rules, in addition to those prescribed in
other subparts of this part, governing the operation of large airplanes of U.S.
registry, turbojet-powered multiengine civil airplanes of U.S. registry, and
fractional ownership program aircraft of U.S. registry that are operating under
subpart K of this part in operations not involving common carriage. The
operating rules in this subpart do not apply to those aircraft when they are
required to be operated under parts 121, 125, 129, 135, and 137 of this chapter.
(Section 91.409 prescribes an inspection program for large and for
turbine-powered (turbojet and turboprop) multiengine airplanes and
turbine-powered rotorcraft of U.S. registry when they are operated under this
part or part 129 or 137.)"

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old March 25th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Remember 10,000 is the LSA altitude limit.

Even though the FAA may not require floatation gear, I'd
want a Sterns vest for each person.

Personally, I get nervous over Lake Michigan or a few miles
off shore in a King Air. And I had floatation gear and I
can swim. I just prefer airports, unless I have floats on
the airplane.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old March 25th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Subpart F--LARGE AND TURBINE-POWERED MULTIENGINE AIRPLANES
AND FRACTIONAL OWNERSHIP PROGRAM AIRCRAFT

§91.501
Applicability.

§91.503
Flying equipment and operating information.

§91.505
Familiarity with operating limitations and emergency
equipment.

§91.507
Equipment requirements: Over-the-top or night VFR
operations.

§91.509
Survival equipment for overwater operations.

§91.511
Radio equipment for overwater operations.

§91.513
Emergency equipment.

§91.515
Flight altitude rules.

§91.517
Passenger information.

§91.519
Passenger briefing.

§91.521
Shoulder harness.

§91.523
Carry-on baggage.

§91.525
Carriage of cargo.

§91.527
Operating in icing conditions.

§91.529
Flight engineer requirements.

§91.531
Second in command requirements.

§91.533
Flight attendant requirements.

§91.535
Stowage of food, beverage, and passenger service
equipment during aircraft movement on the surface, takeoff,
and landing.

§§91.536-91.599
[Reserved]

oups.com...