Tow Hook on Cessna 180?

Old September 27th 03, 02:51 PM
Stuart Grant

Default Tow Hook on Cessna 180?

Just purchased a Cessna 180 and hope to use it occasionally for glider
towing. Found an STC for hook installation by Javelin Aircraft which
seems not to be around anymore. Gasser Banner says they don't have one.
Having towed behind a C-180 at Seminole Lake I know it is possible. Tim
Mara says Karl Streideck tows with a C-180. My A&P says if I can give
him some sample 337's it will make things a lot easier. Anybody out
there willing to share a copy of their field approval for a hook
installation on Cessna 180's??

Stuart Grant

Old September 30th 03, 06:54 PM
Stuart Grant

Contacted the heirs of Javelin Aircraft (David Blanton in Kansas).
They say that they hope to have STCs available for sale again in about
6 months. There is no mention of tow hook installation in C-180 Parts
or Service Manuals or in the Type Certificate. No luck with banner tow
companies and still looking for any help.

Stuart Grant

The owner of Javelin Aircraft died several years ago. I'd suggest
contacting Bruce A Frank for the contact info on the owners son AFIK
his son has rights to all of the old STC's.
Bruce's EMail is

Bill Higdon

Old October 1st 03, 04:06 AM
Chip Fitzpatrick

There is a guy in our near Philadelphia, Paul Moyer, who does aerial
photography, and also has towed for us with his 180. You might find
the number in the on-line yellow pages or email me directly and I'll
try to find his number locally.

Chip Fitzpatrick
Old October 2nd 03, 12:50 AM
Stuart Grant

Thanks Chip I will try to find Paul's phone listing. I have leads on
three other people with hooks on 180's who I also hope to hear from.
Thanks Bob for your reply as well but as we determined via private
e-mail Bob's drawing was for a tri-cycle gear Cessna not a tailwheel.
Until I get concrete info I will continue fishing for assistance here. I
will post results if I get it worked out so as to help someone else in
the future.

Stuart