Is it Possible to Self launch (no wingman) with CG hook??

Old November 5th 04, 03:54 PM
Jerz Rossignol

Default Is it Possible to Self launch (no wingman) with CG hook??

Hi Guys,

I'm curious if any of you guys have ever tried to self launch with no
wing man on a cg hook only glider. I have skids on my wingtips as
well. Would you put the wing that's on the ground further forward at
start? What's the technique!!
I think this is why having a cg hook is a disadvantage.

Regards,

Jerz
Old November 5th 04, 04:04 PM
Tony Verhulst

Jerz Rossignol wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm curious if any of you guys have ever tried to self launch with no
wing man on a cg hook only glider.

I've done it in my LS6 when I was aerotowed from a spasely populated
airport following a landout. It was really a no brainer.

I have skids on my wingtips as
well. Would you put the wing that's on the ground further forward at
start? What's the technique!!

With a CG hook, the glider has to point in the desired direction of
travel, IMHO. With a nose hook, you can angle the nose into the cross
wind (if any) and lower the upwind wing. The theory being that when the
tow plane starts, the nose hook will swing the nose straight,
accelerating the upwind (low wing) allowing it to lift level almost
immediately.

I think this is why having a cg hook is a disadvantage.

I would prefer a nose hook in this situation.

Tony V.
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/SOARING

Old November 5th 04, 05:17 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Jerz Rossignol" wrote in message
m...
Hi Guys,

I'm curious if any of you guys have ever tried to self launch with no
wing man on a cg hook only glider. I have skids on my wingtips as
well. Would you put the wing that's on the ground further forward at
start? What's the technique!!
I think this is why having a cg hook is a disadvantage.

Regards,

Jerz

Yes, from remote fields. It's no problem, but the dust cloud from the tow
plane is sometimes pretty wild, especially if it's the first time you've
encountered it.

Frank Whiteley

Old November 5th 04, 05:58 PM
Bill Daniels

A CG hook is a disadvantage only if you never plan to winch launch.

I was shown at rig made with PVC plumbing pipe for just such a situation.
it worked like a saw horse with a carpeted top and could be broken down for
storage in the glider trailer. Starting with the wings close to level is a
big help.

I don't think I would try a CG hook, wing-on-the-ground start with my Nimbus

Bill Daniels

Old November 5th 04, 06:03 PM
Maule Driver

I too have done it in an LS6 - We just lined it up and went - powerful
towplane helps.

But we used to practice it in a 2-22. There was a very specific technique
and it was not self-evident. As I recall, the upwind wing was down but the
nose pointed downwind (!). This allowed for weathervaning which would
effect the a/c before the controls became effective. It worked pretty well.
Of course, the 2-22 sits on it's nose rather than it's tail.

So why would you point an unguided rocket downwind in order to have it reach
apogee directly over the launcher?

Old November 5th 04, 07:00 PM
Steve Hill

I have done this many times...I live on a private airport and many mid-week
soaring days found me and my good buddy ( ie towpilot) having to figure out
how to safely accomplish this...On grass it's a no brainer. I take about a
36" piece of
1" x 1" wood, poke it into the grass directly under the wing tip perhaps 6
inches inboard, a piece of duct tape over the sawn end keep gelcoat from
being damaged. basically you get everything ready hook up...set the wing on
the stick close the canopy and go...I have only done it using a radio for
verbal communication with the towpilot. I operated my DG this way numerous
times when the engine was out, and I have operated two other sailplanes the
same way. Make sure the stick is of a length to hold the wings approximately
level slightly low to the windward side is best and then aggressively start
the two...never yet dropped a wing. I always start with spoiler open to
maximize roll control early...the DG only has a CG hook.

Steve.

Old November 5th 04, 07:23 PM
goneill

A number of our guys come out midweek and launch on the winch
with just the winchdriver and the pilot .
They use a carpet wrapped sawhorse to hold the wing up.
If they can not find the sawhorse they have used an empty cardboard box
to hold the wing up.Our winch uses polyprop rope and when the glider
starts to move it is at flying speed very quickly.

Old November 5th 04, 07:54 PM
Stewart Kissel

I get to do this about a dozen times a summer, from
a public 8,000' agl airport that gets warm...behind
a cub. Not that I particularly like doing it, but
otherwise no flying. Typically I also have to deal
with a crosswind. My technique as follows, not saying
this is the only way but has worked for me.

1.) The ship is going to weathervane...so I line up
downwind of center line.

2.) I also point the nose slightly downwind.

3.) The downwind wing goes on the ground, this helps
slow down the weathervane and also allows the wing
to be picked up later.

As the tow commences...the weathervane starts, and
quite quickly...heading towards the center line on
an angle from the leeward side. This typically allows
the downwind wing to be ruddered up. As I approach
the centerline I attempt to rudder straight and get
the windward wing down.

Some operations such as Warner Springs launch from
a diagnol..and it sort of the same idea.

I also make a point of being friendly to the airport
bums...so as to have an alternative to this technique

Old November 5th 04, 08:06 PM
Stewart Kissel

acckkk-

I don't think any technique works from 8k' agl....please
substitute msl. The point being I drag along for a
while waiting for the cub to get a head of steam up.

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Vandenberg Launch, April 17 Piloting 5 April 9th 04 02:21 AM
Ground launch and the incremental vanishing of soaring Mark James Boyd Soaring 24 March 8th 04 10:50 PM
Pegasus/TRACE Launch Photos Posted Brian Webb Military Aviation 0 February 21st 04 03:50 PM
Friendly fire pilot may testify against wingman Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 11th 03 09:32 PM