A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

"Cloudstreet: Soaring the American West"

Old May 21st 15, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA
external usenet poster

Default "Cloudstreet: Soaring the American West"

I am very happy to report that the first public showing of "Cloudstreet: Soaring the American West" occurred last night at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science on the 50 foot Dyna Theater screen. Three hundred viewers got a chance to experience this truly unique showing of the project that exhibits so much of our passion for soaring. The audience response was quite overwhelming.

The original musical score by Matt Pavolaitis and Colleen Grace greatly enhanced the beautiful scenery in the video, Dave Pettit's narration showcased the story and helped educate the audience about the science and art of soaring and the excellent editing and direction by Matt Murray combined with the photographic art of Dave Bixler and Phyllis Murray produced a truly amazing documentary.

The soaring world owes a huge THANK YOU! to Mike Abernathy and Carolyn Galceran for their dream and commitment to this ten year project. Special thanks also to the major sponsors: The Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, the Soaring Society of America and Stemme A.G.

PBS will release this video to affiliate stations immediately, and it is scheduled for airtime on May 27 at 9:00 pm on KNME in Albuquerque. Availability on DVD, Blu-Ray and iTunes is scheduled for May 28. Go to www.cloudstreethd.org for more information.
Old May 21st 15, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Well said, Mark. Great job by everyone!

We thoroughly enjoyed the presentation and have it set to record on our
HD DVR next week!

On 5/21/2015 8:10 AM, Mark628CA wrote:
I am very happy to report that the first public showing of "Cloudstreet: Soaring the American West" occurred last night at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science on the 50 foot Dyna Theater screen. Three hundred viewers got a chance to experience this truly unique showing of the project that exhibits so much of our passion for soaring. The audience response was quite overwhelming.

The original musical score by Matt Pavolaitis and Colleen Grace greatly enhanced the beautiful scenery in the video, Dave Pettit's narration showcased the story and helped educate the audience about the science and art of soaring and the excellent editing and direction by Matt Murray combined with the photographic art of Dave Bixler and Phyllis Murray produced a truly amazing documentary.

The soaring world owes a huge THANK YOU! to Mike Abernathy and Carolyn Galceran for their dream and commitment to this ten year project. Special thanks also to the major sponsors: The Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, the Soaring Society of America and Stemme A.G.

PBS will release this video to affiliate stations immediately, and it is scheduled for airtime on May 27 at 9:00 pm on KNME in Albuquerque. Availability on DVD, Blu-Ray and iTunes is scheduled for May 28. Go to www.cloudstreethd.org for more information.

--
Dan Marotta

Old May 21st 15, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MQ
external usenet poster

It was incredible! I cannot wait to buy my Blu-Ray copy and tape it on PBS next week (with Viking not as good as the hype Cruise ads flanking it, hehe).

I am trying to figure out who those two guys were from Moriarty that spoke so eloquently in the film though. They looked familiar...

Just incredible!

Geoff
Old May 21st 15, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MQ
external usenet poster

It was incredible! I cannot wait to buy my Blu-Ray copy and tape it on PBS next week (probably with Viking not as good as the hype Cruise ads flanking it, hehe).

I am trying to figure out who those two guys were from Moriarty that spoke so eloquently in the film though. They looked familiar...

Just incredible!

Geoff
Old May 26th 15, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Johnny T
external usenet poster

So is it up to our local PBS affiliates to pick this up themselves, or is this something that will automatically get pushed out to all PBS affiliates eventually... I don't know how PBS content is distributed.

Should I email my local PBS affiliate and ask them to be on the lookout for this content? Help, what is the best way to make sure this gets lots of eyeballs?

I saw the post that it is available on Amazon, so I know how to get my own copy, but how can I make sure this is actually seen by a wide audience?
Old May 26th 15, 10:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA
external usenet poster

PBS has several levels of National distribution. At the level for which "Cloudstreet" qualified, I believe it is up to the local affiliate as to whether they select it for inclusion in their schedule. If a search of the local listings does not have it, then yes, an email to the station management and program director is in order. Multiple emails from several folks is of course more effective.

iTunes availability will be forthcoming. I will post details when they are confirmed.
Old May 26th 15, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 5:19:49 AM UTC-4, Mark628CA wrote:

iTunes availability will be forthcoming. I will post details when they are confirmed.

If I buy a DVD can I donate it to my local library without violating the license agreement?

Will this be available anywhere online pay-per-view (rental) like Amazon Instant Video? My younger friends do not have TVs or DVD players. They only watch streaming video on the internet.

Old May 26th 15, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
D M[_2_]
external usenet poster

Johnny,
In Las Vegas, Nevada the local PBS station airs special interest
segments on a request bases. I talked to the local program director
of my station and she said that out of all the glider enthusiasts in
my area only 3 people requested airing of the segment. I even gave
my local glider club the specific instructions on how to request it
and an email link to help them make the request. Its pretty sad, but
the good thing is that PBS was given a 3 year contract to air the
segment as many times as they wish. Since the month of November
is Aviation Month, the local programmer said that she may need
filler to meet the airing requirements so, she would look at Cloud
Street again and see if there is a place to slot it in that time frame.
On another note, she did state that she thinks she will be able to
stream it online anytime, so I may be able to watch it on my 15 inch
screen. Better then nothing. Doug

At 07:19 26 May 2015, Johnny T wrote:
So is it up to our local PBS affiliates to pick this up themselves, or

is
this something that will automatically get pushed out to all PBS

affiliates
eventually... I don't know how PBS content is distributed.

Should I email my local PBS affiliate and ask them to be on the

lookout for
this content? Help, what is the best way to make sure this gets

lots of
eyeballs?

I saw the post that it is available on Amazon, so I know how to get

my own
copy, but how can I make sure this is actually seen by a wide

audience?

Old May 26th 15, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 1:19:12 AM UTC-6, Johnny T wrote:
So is it up to our local PBS affiliates to pick this up themselves, or is this something that will automatically get pushed out to all PBS affiliates eventually... I don't know how PBS content is distributed.

Should I email my local PBS affiliate and ask them to be on the lookout for this content? Help, what is the best way to make sure this gets lots of eyeballs?

I saw the post that it is available on Amazon, so I know how to get my own copy, but how can I make sure this is actually seen by a wide audience?

I found my local (two) PBS affiliates difficult to discuss with directly, so I used their 'contact us' forms to make a program suggestion and possibly offer some local sponsorship. I suggest sending them a link to this press release. I did and had two air dates within 48 hours. Once the air dates were announced, I proceeded to notify other local aviation lists. So far no follow-up on the sponsorship offer.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/05/prweb12727884.htm

Frank Whiteley
SSA Director, Region 9
SSA State Governor, Colorado

Old May 27th 15, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6X
external usenet poster

Now available for rent / purchase via ITunes download.