Any news/update on GP Gliders?

Old October 7th 16, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Michalik[_2_]

Default Any news/update on GP Gliders?

Not heard much lately about this new glider development or certification. Anyone have one delivered?
Interested pilots want to know
Old October 8th 16, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 3:20:51 PM UTC-6, Stephen Michalik wrote:
Not heard much lately about this new glider development or certification. Anyone have one delivered?
Interested pilots want to know

Stephen,
Well, as far as I know there is very little news.....That being said, if you want the latest info, you may want to contact the US dealer, Tim McAllister directly. Unfortunately, there has been no news on his website since March 24, so it seems there is not much to report. There is also little breaking news on the GP Gliders Facebook page. Tim's website is below and hopefully, there will be some positive news soon...(I do hope!)

http://www.gpglidersusa.com/
Old October 8th 16, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Michalik[_2_]

Hi Renny,
Thanks. I watch those links too. And was wondering if there was other activity that just wasn't posted. Something I'm watching during the coming months.
Old October 8th 16, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There is some info about the GP 15 -- including 3-view drawings and prices -- at the links at the bottom of http://www.gpgliders.com/jeta-line.

Old October 9th 16, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
marco

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 5:07:57 AM UTC+2, wrote:
On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 5:49:44 PM UTC-7, Stephen Michalik wrote:
Hi Renny,
Thanks. I watch those links too. And was wondering if there was other activity that just wasn't posted. Something I'm watching during the coming months.

There is some info about the GP 15 -- including 3-view drawings and prices -- at the links at the bottom of http://www.gpgliders.com/jeta-line.

You may wish to follow their progress on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gpgliders/?...SEARCH&fref=nf
They almost were able to compete last year in the Worlds 13.5 class but now, one year after the event, I have not seen reports of a glider flying. Still their specs and test results with the spar are very interesting.
Old October 9th 16, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Is there any way to view the facebook page without having an account (I
refuse) and without having a large portion of the screen demanding that
I login or sign up? There's no option to do neither that I can see.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 9th 16, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Facebook I have little knowledge. Just a dummy account to keep track of some sites.

I just read the FAI rulebook for Benalla. The 13.5 mtr class is having a wingload limit of 35 kg/m2. GPGlider is designing them for 32-60 kg/m2. Looks like the design might not be optimised for the current rules or the rules are changed by the FAI.
Old October 10th 16, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is there a 13.5m class at Benalla? I was under the impression it was Open/15m/18m.

Nick.
Old October 10th 16, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

13.5 m WGC in 2017 is in Hungary.
Old October 10th 16, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Here is what I have heard...

The GP14 has evolved significantly in several key design areas since the initial design was completed. This required a cascading array of part and system design changes. And that process has understandably taken som extra time.

For example motor technology advancements allowed them to increase the motor size from 15-25kw (a whopping 66% increase in power!) with nearly the same form factor and minimal weight increase. This obviously should significantly improve expected performance, efficiency and especially high altitude launch performance. But maximizing the performance and efficiency of the newer more powerful motor demanded larger propellers and the entire motor retraction system (pillar, actuation, controllers, propellers, batteries and wing battery compartments, etc.) needed to be modified, enlarged and strengthened.

Other significant improvements have been made although I'm not certain what they are exactly.

All this change has (understandably IMO) pushed back early orders 6-12 months from initial delivery estimates. Unfortunate for anxiously waiting buyers but not without increased value or justification. This is not simply a case of being behind or "late." They are making significant and intelligent improvements and trying to do this right. I understand that the first gliders will be in the USA next spring and they we're initially expected this fall.

Not to be a complete GP14 cheerleader (I do have some skepticism), however, I do think a 45:1, extremely high performance electric self launch glider (HUGE at this price point) has the potential to be a true game changer. 45:1+ is more than enough performance for me personally. IF the 13.5m class was to catch on, the idea of paying double for 15/18m for an extra 5 to (perhaps) 7 LD points (at low speeds) is fairly difficult to justify.